Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my wife is away I'm taking the opportunity to completely detail my 2010 Challenger. While clay barring the lower left rear fender I found four small rust bubbles.

These are the only rust bubbles I found anywhere on the car. The paint isn't chipped, there's no damage to this area of the car, just the bubbles.

Needless to say I am not happy.

Any advice?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ouch that sucks feel for ya. don't clay bar that area anymore just gonna wear it down more. LOook iam gonna start off by saying been a body guy / painter for a long time. Most liklely its rust corrosion under paint theses are never fun fixes (I see this a lot living in WI) . U drive in snow salt much cause this car is not old? Can walk u thru process not going to be easy if u don't have any prior exp. if u want fixed right going to be doing some light body work painting (blending) wet sanding and buffing. I know that's not what u want to hear but truth. U really need to check with your dealer and hope this is covered by your warranty. Or just pay the cash. If your thinking about doing this yourself feel free to hit me up. good luck

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Sean I found one on my 2009 TorRed in the exact same spot. This is just poor quality IMO. No reason a less than five year old car that is well washed during the winter should be developing these spots. body panel warranty is good for five years, get it in and get it checked. I have my five year inspection coming due and am going to address the rust bubble at that time.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The same exact thing happened to our Dodge minivan. I pushed on one of the bubbles and the paint came off and under it was rust. I sanded down the entire area and primed and re painted it myself. It's okay now, but this should not have happened to a FL car. I can see up North with all the salt, but never in FL. I don't understand how it got rusty as the backside of the metal is fine and there was no damage from the painted side. Must be due to a crappy prep/paint job?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Check your warranty. I think they come with a 5 year corrossion warranty.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Sean, sorry to hear this. That's a beautiful car!

Like others have stated, better get with Chrysler on this. Myself, I would start from Corporate down, to eliminate any extra BS that a dealer may want to inject into this sad situation.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
The solution is to take the finish down to bare metal and refinish and feather the paint together.

The only questions are; who does it, and who pays for it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a good relationship with my dealer so I'll start there. I'm concerned that the warranty might be for rust through only. We'll see.

I drive this car all year long in New England, but it sees the touchless car wash frequently with an undercarriage spray. Too cold for a hand wash.

On the bright side this could be an opportunity for a black trim custom spray in Detonator Yellow. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
278 Posts
I noticed rust myself the other day. Underneath the wing on the trunk (opposite side of where the emblem is) near the outer screw holes there are two spots with rust. Anyone else noticed rust in that area?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think Chrysler is taking this "retro" thing a little too seriously. :)

Rust on a modern car is unimaginable to me. I can't even remember the last time I saw a car driving around with rust on it not caused by a wreck.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I think Chrysler is taking this "retro" thing a little too seriously. :)

Rust on a modern car is unimaginable to me. I can't even remember the last time I saw a car driving around with rust on it not caused by a wreck.
That's funny right there, I don't care who you are LOL.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I've got the same problem. Couldn't get Chrysler to pay for it. A local body shop said they could fix it for $300 to $400, so I'm going to get them to do it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got around to bringing this to the dealer. My claim is submitted to Chrysler corporate. I'm not holding out much hope given that I'm at 4 years, 63k miles, but it is disappointing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That is unfingbelievable! My cars are garage queens and only come out in nice weather. Fortunately I live where the weather is nice enough to put a reasonable amount of miles on them. Up north is just hard on a vehicle, but that's ridiculous so soon!

·
Registered
256 Posts
It is a catch 22 on warranty, it says must be rusted thru. I had a 2005 mini van I brought in with somewhat the same thing you have and was told had to be from inside thru the outside to be covered under the warranty. The body shop manager took a pen out of his pocket and pushed on the rust spots and the pen went right thru so they covered it. Good luck with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts