Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
650 Posts
You think this is fine?
will you pay 85K dollars for a car in that condition.
I don’t believe it. When I order mine, I will check everything on it. If it’s like this one, they need to re-order a new one.
My car was built in May, delivered to me early June. There was only a little rust on suspension components but the hubs were rusted significantly. I cleaned and painted them.

No one is saying rust on suspension components is fine but it is a real possibility. As of now FCA is not going to fix the rust issue. (The only person I am aware of who got components replaced under warranty is Kevin VanVorris, a YouTuber who was the first person to order a Demon). The new car purchaser can 1) refuse the car 2) eliminate the rust and re-coat the components 3) live with it. None of the options are great choices but it is what it is. Make your choice and move on and enjoy the ownership experience, there are many positive aspects of owning a Challenger.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,803 Posts
First, those parts are ugly, no doubt. If I was a dealership, I would run them over with a pressure washer, they would look a lot better.
Second, they are cast iron, and would take 100 years to really rust up there. If it was mine, and I cared, I would spray them with PB Blaster, then scrub with a very stiff brush. They would look like you want, then coat with an anti rust film every year or so after that.
Yes HC and SXT while 3x the price use same quality of everything. If you want to compare the HC to a 300K car in quality, you would have to pay 300K for a HC.
Third, the good news (in a twisted way), HC depreciate as fast as anything else, so no reason to keep one forever, there is always another nicer one out there that is a great price.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
265 Posts
Completely normal, This has been discussed over and over on here. Get over it, get a wire brush attachment for your drill and a can of satin or gloss black spray paint.

MOPAR= Mostly Old Parts And Rust :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Completely normal, This has been discussed over and over on here. Get over it, get a wire brush attachment for your drill and a can of satin or gloss black spray paint.

MOPAR= Mostly Old Parts And Rust :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🤣😝😝😝

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
So what is your opinion on how a HC "drives out?"

Were you happy with the feel of the car and the driveability?
I don’t get it...
I’m planning to order a brand new hellcat, but it’s good to know some issues they have. I don’t know if people care or not, but if I will pay $10k in downpayment plus $1000 on monthly payments, I would like to know my car has not rust because it’s not okay. I can’t consider to buy a car to dedicate time to fix something that FCA should have fixed. It feels like you go at dealership looking for a brand new hellcat and the salesman tells: yeah, this is 2020, great car, a lot of fun but the supercharger need to be replaced because it’s damage from factory. I only want a brand new car, and $85K is not cheap, at least for me.
So, it’s good to know all “defects” to be aware and also I know now that I need to order the car along the summer season... 😉

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
It comes down time of year and the area - here's an image of my 39K and 4 years, 8 months old - built 3rd week of October 2015.

First 2 1/2 years in the rainy (and occasionally snow) PNW - you can see surface oxidation on the UCA bushing cups and that's about it. Probably wasn't snowy yet in Brampton, ON (and mine being a Shaker, traveled to / from upfit center in nearby Bolton, ON)
20200603_110835[9341].jpg

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I don’t get it...
I’m planning to order a brand new hellcat, but it’s good to know some issues they have. I don’t know if people care or not, but if I will pay $10k in downpayment plus $1000 on monthly payments, I would like to know my car has not rust because it’s not okay. I can’t consider to buy a car to dedicate time to fix something that FCA should have fixed. It feels like you go at dealership looking for a brand new hellcat and the salesman tells: yeah, this is 2020, great car, a lot of fun but the supercharger need to be replaced because it’s damage from factory. I only want a brand new car, and $85K is not cheap, at least for me.
So, it’s good to know all “defects” to be aware and also I know now that I need to order the car along the summer season.
Just a poor guy trying to have a decent car... 😉
I just asked what your impressions were driving one.

That was a long "no answer?"

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Just a poor guy trying to have a decent car... 😉
IMO, an SXT is a "decent" car. Actually far more than just decent. A HC is a status car. I felt no shame when I went from R/Ts to an SXT Plus. The popular mindset is that this was a "downgrade". But I consider all factors of a car and decided which checked the most boxes for me. In my insanely hot area the high temps and altitude sapped so much power from the 5.7, combined with the fact that Brampton no longer makes an R/T with standard (Non-STP) suspension made the vehicle not as much fun as it should have been. So I opted for an SXT Plus which combined the most comfort with minimal power loss. Personally, I would never get a HC even if I could afford one. I'd be too worried about anything happening to it all the time. Also, if I could drop $1k a month on a car, I wouldn't consider myself poor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I just asked what your impressions were driving one.

That was a long "no answer?"
I don’t like to test drive something I wouldn’t buy. I mean, a new one, because I would like the 1st owner have those only 8 miles at the purchase time. I drove a used 2019 Charger Hellcat, and yes, it was amazing. Sorry for my no-answer, I was trying to explain why I won’t take this car with a lot of rust. I guess someone will buy it and enjoy it. In my case, I need it with almost nothing of rust.

A question for those who has ordered a brand new Hellcat: There is a way FCA sends your car in a covered trailer?

Nah, I love the way a Hellcat looks, the engine, the supercharger. If I can’t afford in future a Hellcat, I will keep my IS300S.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A question for those who has ordered a brand new Hellcat: There is a way FCA sends your car in a covered trailer?
LOL no, It's gets built, then sits in a yard collecting dust and out in the elements until they have enough to fill the rail cars ( can take days to months ), then gets railed to your state, then loaded on a car hauler to your dealer.

Also, FCA doesn't ship vehicles. They use a third party company to ship them.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Nah, I love the way a Hellcat looks, the engine, the supercharger. If I can’t afford in future a Hellcat, I will keep my IS300S.
Kind of what I thought. If that HC didn't have rust, you still wouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Kind of what I thought. If that HC didn't have rust, you still wouldn't have bought it.
@19johned53, Its not a matter of I will or I won’t buy it. Still HC won’t get updated in 2021, right? So, maybe I will wait few months more. I started this thread just looking answers for that rust issues, to be aware of this when mine arrive and I learned that best time to order is on summer. That’s good to know it.

PS: I appreciate the answer of everybody, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Surface rust is completely normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This thread is the very reason that every vehicle I have ever ordered gets ordered,built,shipped,and delivered in the fair no salt time of the year.What state are you in Yosvaldy?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
464 Posts
What's strange is my car has absolutely no rust on suspension as a 2010, but both of my rear quarter panels are rotting to shit. Gonna be throwing away $3k on that soon...

41 - 57 of 57 Posts