Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a brand new Scatpack widebody and I noticed rust at front suspension. Do you think it is warranty issue? Or normal because of 10 months stocking?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Surface rust on suspension pieces not unusual if in weather. 10 months sitting, and maybe used for road tests? It sucks to find your new car in such shape, but probably just cosmetic. I'd express my concern to the dealer. I sincerely doubt they'd change any parts for that though. A Guy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Very common. My 2010 SRT8 looked bad. My 2016 Scatpack was perfect. My 2017 Hellcat looked bad. I don’t know what the difference was? When I pulled my wheels to paint the rotor hats I hit the suspension with Satin Black brush on paint. Looks much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very common. My 2010 SRT8 looked bad. My 2016 Scatpack was perfect. My 2017 Hellcat looked bad. I don’t know what the difference was? When I pulled my wheels to paint the rotor hats I hit the suspension with Satin Black brush on paint. Looks much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It's disappointing and I will paint it than. When it was lifted they told me to make complete underbody surface protection as well because there is not. What is your opinion regarding that?

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
This is what I did with my 2009 SRT. I used black Rust-O-leum paint. It looks great now.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Cosmetic only. I would just hit it with black paint of your choice and move on. It's a 5 minute fix.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
The rust on suspension components of my Scat Pack is clearly visible but not as prevalent as some I have seen. IMO it is cosmetic but nonetheless a thorn in the side for those that take pride in their Challenger or Charger. I agree it could easily be remedied with a little elbow grease and a rattle can. The most difficult part is ensuring paint doesn't go where you don't want it. I cleaned and coated the rotors and hubs on my car otherwise the suspension components remain as delivered 3 years ago.

As far as I know the only person who has received a remedy from FCA / dealership is Kevin Van Voris. He is a YouTuber who was the first person to order a Demon, was invited by FCA to the Demon release, and received a new Demon with an exceptional amount of rusty suspension components and subsequently made a couple of videos about the rust. IMO his rust was also cosmetic but a little fame and notoriety has its reward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts