Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 B5 R/T Classic started showing the bubbling paint/rust signs ahead of the rear wheelwell a few years ago and a quick internet search at the time informed me this was a 'thing' with these cars and it's gotten bad enough now where I just want to get it fixed. The bubbling paint is probably about a 5x7 patch from the exterior, but who knows once you get into it. Since it's such a common problem with these cars, is anyone aware of a quarter panel patch that might be available? In terms of treatment- it seems most of it involves removing as much of the foam from the inner fender as possbible. Any other tips? Does the foam have to come out or can you soak it in Thompsons water seal or something to keep the water out? If the foam was retaining water, is there any way to route the water out or add drainage holes in the inner fender?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s a little peak at what’s behind the curtain...
How bad was the rust? Do they really need to replace the WHOLE quarterpanel? No one makes a lower panel patch? I was thinking this might cost a grand but good God that looks like a grand worth of labor alone just on that side. Ugh. I waited SO long for this car, it's really frustrating to have to deal with this crap. My Scamp lasted 25 years before I had to deal with any rust and this damn thing didn't last more than 5-6.

What's the remedy then- scrape/blow out that foam? Is an OEM panel ok if they remove the foam?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
How bad was the rust? Do they really need to replace the WHOLE quarterpanel? No one makes a lower panel patch? I was thinking this might cost a grand but good God that looks like a grand worth of labor alone just on that side. Ugh. I waited SO long for this car, it's really frustrating to have to deal with this crap. My Scamp lasted 25 years before I had to deal with any rust and this damn thing didn't last more than 5-6.

What's the remedy then- scrape/blow out that foam? Is an OEM panel ok if they remove the foam?
Pretty extreme pic. I posted. Just showing how the body panels get glued to the frame and how they do the foam. Metal is real thin so welding any seams where metal is removed is harder to do unless you can make the cut somewhere at those struct. backing elements I think.

958.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I wonder why the factory doesn't put Flex-Seal over that foam so it doesn't absorb water? :rolleyes:

In case any of you hasn't see the commercial with Phil Swift...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder why the factory doesn't put Flex-Seal over that foam so it doesn't absorb water? :rolleyes:

In case any of you hasn't see the commercial with Phil Swift...

I should have known Taylor was 'old' money like the rest :eek::ROFLMAO::LOL:
A lil' flex seal would really turn this car into a boat.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think FCA addressed the rusting foam issue in the 2015 and beyond refresh. Something to do with how the wheel inner liners attached creating leaks there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think FCA addressed the rusting foam issue in the 2015 and beyond refresh. Something to do with how the wheel inner liners attached creating leaks there.
Yeah they did, but just to be sure it's all water-tight, on my "18 SRT I sealed the gaps between the quarter panels and the wheel well liners with black silicone.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
You may want to check the following post in another thread about the same rust issue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts