Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Second time going to the dealer to get fixed ! I keep telling them unless they do something about the foam on the inside it will just come back ! Never drive it in the winter and it still came back ? Very frustrating on a car that is so nice !
3DF41E6C-5EFC-4268-A667-E46821C692CE.jpeg
266415E9-AD82-48F5-924E-529B0E799419.jpeg

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
This whole rust situation is just so unfortunate. What year is your Challenger? It basically limits you to owning a Challenger for less than 10 years - because it seems that they usually start rusting out by then (anywhere from 5-10 years max) - and who wants own such a nice car that is rusting out?

I'm typically a long-term car owner, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards for these Challengers - no matter how well you take care of it.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll be trading it in before it gets to that point - which is really unfortunate. Mine will probably be worse than most since it's an AWD GT and will be driven in the winter in PA....

·
Registered
981 Posts
What the hell is going on with that? If my 2019 looks like that in 10 years I’m going to lose my shit.

Reactions: Sublime19

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It's actually a pretty common issue - do some searched on the forum for rust... It's always in the same area - right in front of the rear wheels - and rusts from the inside out, so no amount of keeping it clean and/or waxing or anything else will stop it.

It happens in as little as 5 years - some have even had it "fixed" under the 5 year rust-through warranty...

·
Registered
981 Posts
It's actually a pretty common issue - do some searched on the forum for rust... It's always in the same area - right in front of the rear wheels - and rusts from the inside out, so no amount of keeping it clean and/or waxing or anything else will stop it.

It happens in as little as 5 years - some have even had it "fixed" under the 5 year rust-through warranty...
Yeah, that’s totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

And most are getting screwed on that too. The FCA body manual on the Challenger doesn't have a procedure for sectioning just the lower 1/4. The only authorized warranty repair is full 1/4 replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
I keep praying I do not see that on my 2015, if I do I will just start leasing so every 3 years I get a new one.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
WOW, that's a horrible patch job! I typically trade every 3-4 years but plan on keeping the Scat Pack Shaker. I think the right way is to cut out that area and replace with new sheet metal...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think FCA became aware of the problem and tweaked the wheel wheel liner to help keep water intrusion out of the foam from 2015 on.
That was just one of the problem areas. Water enters through every mounting point of the plastic rocker molding and gets trapped. There are some good pics of this floating around online. I'm a collision tech and have found rust on 15+ cars that I have changed 1/4 panels on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow that patch is terrible. That said you need a good body shop to open that up, rip out the foam and properly weld in some fresh metal. No other way to fix it, but to put in some drain plugs while you are in there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That was just one of the problem areas. Water enters through every mounting point of the plastic rocker molding and gets trapped. There are some good pics of this floating around online. I'm a collision tech and have found rust on 15+ cars that I have changed 1/4 panels on.
Any areas we should be pulling foam and drilling drainage holes?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I really don't know how you would get the foam out. It's a ridged foam and the access is extremely limited. I don't suggest drilling holes, that would just make more hot spots for corrosion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the right way is to cut out that area and replace with new sheet metal...
Yep...It's the BEST way!

I can't believe DODGE is STILL putting that foam insulation in the rocker area after YEARS of reports of rust issues!
Maybe their attorneys are telling them not to change it because it can be used against them in a class action rust lawsuit?
Almost as bad design as a timing belt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is a plug inside the door jam body side. I pryed mine off easily and u can see the yellow foam right away. I dug mine out on both side sides with a steel insulated coat hanger and stuck my vacuum hose with a one inch nozzle at the hole and sucked out the small broken chunks. I spent about a half hour on both sides getting all I could see out. I then sprayed some CRC heavy duty corrosion inhibitor inside the holes pretty good. It found its way out of the rocker panel too. That stuff is amazing. It resists salt and high humid conditions. Hey it's worth a try. I'm hoping to hang onto my Scat for a while.

Reactions: AFZ and MrF8Green

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have 09 challenger and she has no type of body rust on her and I drive it in the snow .
Have you looked at the paint closely in front of the rear wheels? Typically, the rust issue is first noticeable as bubbling paint in the area in front of the rear wheels. Once you see that, you are in trouble as they rust from the inside out and there isn't' a whole hell of a lot that you can do to avoid it (or fix it). I've heard of others that just didn't notice it, but it was there...

Not saying that it happens on EVERY Challenger, but it does seem to be somewhat common, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts