Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
My rust started becoming noticeable about year 6 of ownership and is REALLY bad now at year 10. I don't want to start dumping money in the bodyshop for cosmetics & would rather put it into the vehicle for repairs but I don't know how much longer my 2009 Challenger can hang in there. I'm still driving it with over 172,000K miles. I wonder how bad the rust is going to continue if untreated. It's not embarrasing yet but I know it's there. It's not until I point it out to someone and then they say OH MY I didn't see that until you pointed to it. Then I'm like I KNOW Right? Shame on you Dodge - SHAME ON YOU! Design flaw or poor craftsmanship or whatever the reason, this is UNACCEPTABLE! TOYOTAS doesn't DO THIS? I had my Camry for 15 years & had NO RUST AT ALL even with all those snowy NJ winters!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Believe me, I truly hope that I'm wrong about the rust issues, but do a search for "Dodge Challenger rust" and look at all of the examples of rust-related issues in one specific spot - in front of the rear wheels. There are even a lot of posts about this issue on this forum.

I take care of my cars too - but it seems this rust starts from the inside and works it's way out, so no matter what you do to maintain your paint, it won't help with this issue.

This is not something that you'd notice on cars as they drive by - you would have to look up close (again, read some of the posts about it). Thankfully, if it happens before 5 years, Dodge will take care of it under the warranty, but it seems they usually don't correct it properly and then it comes back in short order (after the 5 year corrosion warranty has expired).

Some people believe that there is some sound-deadening jute that is the cause of the issue (retains water and never dries, which promotes the rust issue). Others blame the spray-in sound deadener (although, that seems less likely in my opinion - I can't imagine that stuff holds much water).

I typically don't worry too much about this stuff, but this does seem to be a conern and something that i will be watching for (starts as bubling paint in front of rear wheel well). I was mainly curious if people are still removing that jute stuff to try and combat this issue. Honestly, that kind of makes sense that it could be the cause, espeically becuase the rust always seems to occur right where that stuff is located.

All of that being said, it's always hard to gauge how "common" a specific issue is on the internet - becuase you only hear from people that have the issue - not from those that don't have the issue. :)
Hey there, just joined this forum to read specifically about others rust issues and if it’s a common thing. My 2012 Challenger is having the same issue. Bought it in November 2016. At first, just the driver side and now I’m seeing a couple bubbles on the passenger side. 😩 Debating whether or not to get it repaired as much as I can. It’s a daily driver. Hate the thought of it spreading more and the paint chipping off. 😢 I also take good care of my car, so this is killing me!
Pics attached. Anyone bothering to get it fixed at all?
6006789C-3C2C-4505-BA84-C256EEDD0732.jpeg
93D8C539-4AC8-44E2-8362-9E24807BD63A.jpeg
D586A1BE-12E8-480A-A255-9965E55827B8.jpeg
BBD6DA60-0082-48AB-9C93-B6A58154944D.jpeg

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
buy 2 new oem quarters, have the factory quarters removed so all the rust damage can be repaired and encapsulated with POR15, new quarters installed and repaint the whole car so it will be totally unnoticeable.Buy a work beater and only drive it on nice days.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I still can't get over how bad this issue is... Completely and totally unacceptable in this day and age. And people wonder why Dodge has such a bad reputation - it's because of things like this.

Since they rust from the inside out, the only way to truly fix it is to completely replace the quarter panels, like mentioned above. Only problem that it will cost a small fortune and may not even be worth doing.

While I keep hoping that the 2015+ models won't be as bad, I'm not holding my breath. I wonder if having mud flaps installed may help with the situation (less water being flug up onto the sides of the car, where it can creep up behind the plastic molding). That and maybe not washing the car too often (I would think that washing the car may be introducing the most water of all - especially on cars that aren't driven in the rain and/or snow).

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Hope that I'm wrong, but I actually feel that the '15+ cars may be as bad, or worse, with the rolled rear fender lips.

Those get wet, and I can't see how some moisture isn't going to get trapped in there.

Again, hope that I'm wrong, and time will tell if we start getting rust around the rear wheel well lips too.

Until then, screw it, I'm enjoying the beast.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
While I keep hoping that the 2015+ models won't be as bad, I'm not holding my breath. I wonder if having mud flaps installed may help with the situation (less water being flug up onto the sides of the car, where it can creep up behind the plastic molding). That and maybe not washing the car too often (I would think that washing the car may be introducing the most water of all - especially on cars that aren't driven in the rain and/or snow).
I use Mequiars Ultimate Ultimate Wash and Wax

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I use Mequiars Ultimate Ultimate Wash and Wax
Yeah, but you're still spraying water all of the car to rinse, etc... My point is that washing the car may be what introduces the most water - especially for those folks that don't drive in the rain or snow.

I mean the more that you wash the car, the more likely you'll be to get more water trapped behind the rocker cladding and wheel-wells.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hope that I'm wrong, but I actually feel that the '15+ cars may be as bad, or worse, with the rolled rear fender lips.

Those get wet, and I can't see how some moisture isn't going to get trapped in there.

Again, hope that I'm wrong, and time will tell if we start getting rust around the rear wheel well lips too.

Until then, screw it, I'm enjoying the beast.
It was my understanding that the 2015+ models have a tighter "seal" between the plastic wheel liner and the body, making it harder for water to get beyond the wheel liner. Someone had compared a pre-2015 and a 2015+ and said that it was much "tigher" in that area. No idea if it actually helps though. Plus, water may be getting in throught he rocker covers as well. Jsut a very poor design.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Yeah, but you're still spraying water all of the car to rinse, etc... My point is that washing the car may be what introduces the most water - especially for those folks that don't drive in the rain or snow.

I mean the more that you wash the car, the more likely you'll be to get more water trapped behind the rocker cladding and wheel-wells.
You spray the wash and wax onto the car and wipe it off with a microfiber. No water needed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Oh - you mean "Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere" - that's different that "Ultimate Wash and Wax". :)

Although, I don't think I'd use something like that "Anywhere" product - you're basically wiping all of that dirt along your paint as you "dry" it. Not sure that's the best idea.

·
Registered
568 Posts
That and maybe not washing the car too often (I would think that washing the car may be introducing the most water of all - especially on cars that aren't driven in the rain and/or snow).
I just knew I was onto something by not washing my car.
Not yet, anyway, but then I've only had it for a year.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Oh - you mean "Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere" - that's different that "Ultimate Wash and Wax". :)

Although, I don't think I'd use something like that "Anywhere" product - you're basically wiping all of that dirt along your paint as you "dry" it. Not sure that's the best idea.
Okay so I expose my car to as little water as possible, if I am successful, in 10 years I can get it repainted.
You wash your car to keep it from getting minor scratches, in 5 years your quarters look like swiss cheese and OEM replacements are no longer available... Well wait, they are never going to change the sheet metal on this car.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Honestly, mine will be daily-driven in rain and snow anyway, so water from car washes are not my main concern. I was just saying that for those that don't drive in rain and snow, washing your car too often may actually contribute to the issue, that's all (where else could the water come from?).

At this point, we're really not even sure if the 2015+ cars are going to suffer the same fate. I've actually been thinking about sealing up the holes where the rocker panels go on like another member did - that may solve the problem completely - if it even still exists.

I'll stick with washing my car with water - but not "over washing" (some people wash their car 2 and 3 times per week!). This may be one car where the more you wash it, the worse it is for it, which is a strange situation.

I usually keep my cars 10+ years, but if this thing rusts out, I'll just be trading it in at that point. But the paint will still look good until I do so! :) You'd be surprised how nice the paint has held up on my other cars. 2005 LaCrosse - still looked damn good - no rust when traded in last year. 2012 Impala still looks REALLY good - no hint of rust. Both daily-driven in rain and snow!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I still can't get over how bad this issue is... Completely and totally unacceptable in this day and age. And people wonder why Dodge has such a bad reputation - it's because of things like this.

Since they rust from the inside out, the only way to truly fix it is to completely replace the quarter panels, like mentioned above. Only problem that it will cost a small fortune and may not even be worth doing.

Yeah...whether it’s worth it or not is my whole reason for hesitation right now. Almost 85,000 miles on the car and thinking of starting a family soon, so would definitely need to get something bigger. It just kills me to see it every day. Aren’t there shops that are good enough to just cut the section out and weld in a new piece and match the paint color we’ll enough, or am I dreaming?

Thanks,
Nicki

·
Super Moderator
12,470 Posts
I bake my car after every wash :D

A Guy

·
Registered
882 Posts
I wonder if having mud flaps installed may help with the situation (less water being flug up onto the sides of the car, where it can creep up behind the plastic molding). That and maybe not washing the car too often (I would think that washing the car may be introducing the most water of all - especially on cars that aren't driven in the rain and/or snow).
I have mud flaps installed back in 2009 and no difference. I only wash my car when it's really dirty (daily driver) rain or shine. If water is being caught and our cars rusting from the inside out - MAJOR DESIGN FLAW! Who can we contact at Dodge who works in the designing room or at the CEO Level?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Oh - it's definitely a major design flaw. However, I seriously doubt that you'll ever get Dodge to admit that - or do anything about it once you are past the 5 year rust-through warranty...

Although, what's strange is that it doesn't seem to affect EVERY Challenger - and I can't understand why. Some that don't even drive it in the rain have the problem and probably some that do drive it in the rain don't have the problem. No idea why that is. You'd think it would impact ALL of them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
No matter how good you take care of your Challenger = RUST! REALLY REALLY disappointed in Dodge. Shame on them! SHAME ON THEM! I'm really considering not getting another Challenger because of this reason. Spending SO much in body shop repairs and then it MIGHT come back again, what's the point? DESIGN FLAW = PLEASE FIX IT! UNACCEPTABLE IMO when you spend this kind of money on a car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No matter how good you take care of your Challenger = RUST! REALLY REALLY disappointed in Dodge. Shame on them! SHAME ON THEM! I'm really considering not getting another Challenger because of this reason. Spending SO much in body shop repairs and then it MIGHT come back again, what's the point? DESIGN FLAW = PLEASE FIX IT! UNACCEPTABLE IMO when you spend this kind of money on a car.
One thing I do after washing & drying a car is to drive it before putting it away, in order to get the water to drain out of the inner panels. I also open the doors, hood, & trunk to drain out as much water as possible. Once I return from the little after wash drive, I go over the car again with a quick detailer product to remove any dried water residue.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I drive 18 miles to pressure wash it, and blow dry it on the way home.

I look like a NASCAR driver getting tire pressures up before a green flag.

Shake it out as much as possible then detail spray it at home.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
About this Discussion
82 Replies
21 Participants
Cominfromcamaro
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing