Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
My problem is that if I take it for an "after wash" drive, I'll end up with tons of bug splats all over my nice just-cleaned car! :) Especially if it's early-evening....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oh good, this is a good way to continue loving my car. I’m going to lose my mind if this happens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Drove my 2015 through 4 winters in West Virginia. Paid zero mind to road conditions within reason. I bought the car to enjoy and I did. Not one spec of rust as a result. I kept it clean as often as possible in the Winter/cold months. Rinsed the salt off ASAP(within reason) but sometimes it was just damn cold or I didn't get it rinsed for a few days. Not saying they don't rust but I am saying mine never did, not one bit.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well, I truly hope it wouldn't rust in under 4 years!! :) Cars generally don't rust that fast - not even these Challengers! Most modern cars don't rust even after 10+ years - even when driven during the winter (my last few cars haven't had any rust - and they were 12+ years old and I live in PA and drive them year-round).

However, a lot of these Challengers have been shown to have rust-through issues MUCH sooner than most cars, which is the point - like in as little as 5 years - which is unacceptable - especially because people generally take better care of these cars than most daily drivers. Also, since they rust from the inside out, it doesn't matter how good you take care of the exterior surface.

You initially notice this as bubbling paint in front of the rear wheels.

If the issue wasn't addressed for the 2015+ model years (it doesn't seem that it was), I expect that we'll start seeing the issue in 2015+ models in the next year or two.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I truly hope it wouldn't rust in under 4 years!! :) Cars generally don't rust that fast - not even these Challengers!

However, a lot of these Challengers have been shown to have rust-through issues MUCH sooner than most cars, which is the point - like in as little as 5 years - which is unacceptable -
Wait...what? :whistle:

·
Registered
937 Posts
So I bought a new Challenger, had it for a week now, so should I buy some type or rust proofing and spray by the rear quarter panels and wheel wells where it RUSTED badly last time? And if so, what product should I buy from AutoZone? I won't to be proactive this time BEFORE it starts fearing it's going to occur again from what I read they haven't changed the design at all. That being said I don't want to see it rust again like last time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So I bought a new Challenger, had it for a week now, so should I buy some type or rust proofing and spray by the rear quarter panels and wheel wells where it RUSTED badly last time? And if so, what product should I buy from AutoZone? I won't to be proactive this time BEFORE it starts fearing it's going to occur again from what I read they haven't changed the design at all. That being said I don't want to see it rust again like last time.
I posted something that I came up with to help stop the rust issue back in 2018. Here are Permalinks to the posts I made with photos to explain how and why the rust develops in the lower rockers and in front of the wheel wells. Even though I Winter-Store my car, I still fear what even wash water will do when it gets into those rocker panel clip cutouts and with that in mind I have done this procedure myself. If you're going to drive in salt and brine you really need to do this yourself or have somebody else do it...otherwise it WILL rust through more than likely. The cars in my area that are daily's seem to make it 5-6 years and they pop bubbles in front of the rear wheel wells on the quarter panels.

The first order of business before attempting this procedure is that you are going to have to go down to your dealers Parts Department and order (2) new plastic rocker covers. If you try to remove the old ones and reuse them you probably will mess them up enough that they will not go back on securely. The whole idea in all of this is that all the entry points for water have to be sealed off.

First Post

Second Post

--------------------------------//----

Reactions: antman67

·
Registered
937 Posts
XLRRR8 Thank you for the links. I was unable to find it. I want to do something to prevent the rust (again) but because it's a brand new car if I take it to the dealer, explain it to them and prove my point with this evidence and show them this post I'm sure there going to say if I do the work (or someone else) it will void the 3 year/36,000 warranty. So what do I do, because I DO NOT want rust again!
Is it difficult to do for a non autobody guy? Any chance you made a youtube video. If you saw the photos of my last Challenger how bad the rust got, it'd break your heart for sure.
Living in northeast New Jersey salty winter roads, and it's my daily driver is so bad for my Challenger no matter how much I washed off the salt and garage kept it. But like you said, even washing the car the water gets trapped in there. If I vinyl wrap the car will it make a difference?

·
Registered
349 Posts
XLRRR8 Thank you for the links. I was unable to find it. I want to do something to prevent the rust (again) but because it's a brand new car if I take it to the dealer, explain it to them and prove my point with this evidence and show them this post I'm sure there going to say if I do the work (or someone else) it will void the 3 year/36,000 warranty. So what do I do, because I DO NOT want rust again!
Is it difficult to do for a non autobody guy? Any chance you made a youtube video. If you saw the photos of my last Challenger how bad the rust got, it'd break your heart for sure.
Living in northeast New Jersey salty winter roads, and it's my daily driver is so bad for my Challenger no matter how much I washed off the salt and garage kept it. But like you said, even washing the car the water gets trapped in there. If I vinyl wrap the car will it make a difference?
Shouldn't void the warranty. A body shop could easily do this. Find one you trust and get a quote. ;)
You could always trade every 5 years or at the first sign of rust bubbles. That's what some people do...

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm going to print & bring these instructions and concerns to the auto body place that installed by spoiler on my SE on 2009 Challenger. They charged me $100 to put on my spoiler & I'm not sure if that was a good price or not? Ballpark figure, how much you think this rust prevention might cost you think? I plan on keeping this 2019 Challenger this time (I hope). My 2009 SE was rusted pretty bad & needed a bunch of engine work & with 185,000 miles. The rust plus cost of engine repairs everyone told me to trade it in even though it broke my heart to do it. I just don't want to see this rust happen again to both side of my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm going to print & bring these instructions and concerns to the auto body place that installed by spoiler on my SE on 2009 Challenger. They charged me $100 to put on my spoiler & I'm not sure if that was a good price or not? Ballpark figure, how much you think this rust prevention might cost you think? I plan on keeping this 2019 Challenger this time (I hope). My 2009 SE was rusted pretty bad & needed a bunch of engine work & with 185,000 miles. The rust plus cost of engine repairs everyone told me to trade it in even though it broke my heart to do it. I just don't want to see this rust happen again to both side of my car.
$100 was about what most Dodge dealerships would charge for the spoiler install I believe.

If you order new lower plastic rocker cladding for both sides it cost me $130 or so delivered two years ago at my dealer including delivery. If you go online to order these you'll pay an extra $200 or so for truck freight charges in addition to the parts, so order through the dealer if possible. The 3M Strip Calk ribbons cost me around $27 delivered by Amazon and I picked up some plastic trim tools for removal of the OEM rocker cladding for about $7 with a Super Coupon at Harbor Freight. I also got some butyl marine grade ribbon caulk through my work (no cost there).

All in you can figure to invest $175-185 in parts and materials. My labor cost nothing and as a bonus I learned how to do it myself. Figure about 3-4 hours labor if you are doing it yourself for the first time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah...whether it’s worth it or not is my whole reason for hesitation right now. Almost 85,000 miles on the car and thinking of starting a family soon, so would definitely need to get something bigger. It just kills me to see it every day. Aren’t there shops that are good enough to just cut the section out and weld in a new piece and match the paint color we’ll enough, or am I dreaming?

Thanks,
Nicki
Yes I got a retired body man to cut out the rotted piece and weld a metal patch in place, refinish with bondo
and paint including clear coat, for $350.00. Can't tell any work was done.
Don't go to the dealer or body shop.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I knew someone that would do it for $350 for me, I'd would have it done but I don't know anyone for that price. Went to a bodyshop and they wanted $1500 and said it might even be more depending on how bad it was once they opened it up. Now that I have a new 2019 Challenger I want to have someone do preventive maintenance and not wait till after the rust is seen.

Reactions: XLRRR8

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seal the wheel well in front of the rear tire with waterproof tape and/or black silicone, depending how large the opening is. On the '10 Challenger the opening is significant. On the new ones I will have to see the wheel well when I take delivery in March. Some people are saying the wheel well has been redesigned.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rear well on the 2015 and newer cars is now pretty much boxed in and closed up with a bulkhead...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well there are other areas that I dealt with. I sealed the plastic well tubs in the rear wheel wells with 3M Strip Calk - this area would not be a major rust problem, but I did it anyway since it was easy to do. Just seal the perimeter all the way the outside where it meets with the quarter panel sheet metal...

DSCN6187.JPG

From my observations, the major cause of water and road salt infiltration comes from where that long piece of plastic rocker cladding inserts into the sheetmetal down each side. There are huge holes left open where water will drain into...

DSCN6057.JPG

I'm at work on break now, but will show you what I did with these at lunchtime.

·
Registered
349 Posts
okay thanks
Here's a Permalink to a couple posts with photos I made about a year and a half ago on this formun showing what I did on my 2016. I don't winter drive it, but still wanted to keep that road wash out of the lower rockers and quarters in front of the rear wheels.

Most will not choose to go to this much effort, but I did it as more of a learning exercise to see what might be causing the rust problem. For those that are mechanically inclined it's fairly easy....if you aren't good with tools then I'd advise finding a good body shop to remove those lower plastic rocker panel covers for you. After looking at things upon removal of those rocker covers I found that it is a combination of the foam they inject inside the rockers and quarters and the moisture that then gets in there and that combo cooks up the rust over time. If you have a pop-up blocker turn it off temporarily if these don't take you to the Posts.

One more thing, you need to buy a new pair of rocker covers from your local dealer to do this as you will possibly mess up the clips when you remove the original rocker covers. That way you don't pay freight like you would if you went to one of the online Mopar parts places.

First Post

Second Post

81 - 100 of 117 Posts