Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenty dinged my passenger door and had it fixed at a body shop. When they took off the door skin they found the bottom inside of the door was all rusted. I didn't see it personally but the body shop owner took the attatched picture and said he's never seen that on a car so new and told me not to be surprised if the driver's side door bottom starts rusting in the near future. WTF? The car is 1 1/2 years old and yes, it's a daily driver that gets driven in the snow but it gets washed a few times a week. Has anyone else seen this or had any rust issues? Is this something I should bring to the dealer's attention and would this fall under a warranty?

BTW, the body shop fixed the rust issue on the passenger door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Crappy pic! Doesn't appear to be FULL of rust. I'm not sure but maybe not enough seam sealer was put at the bottom of the pinch and maybe the window seal isn't keeping all the water out.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
well, now that you cut the door in two, it will be the body shop problem from now on.

i don't see any rust through so chrysler will do nothing about surface rust on the inside skin that you cut apart. i wouldn't be surprised to see it rusty fast now that the body shop skinned it. they opened it up for infection.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I recenty dinged my passenger door and had it fixed at a body shop. When they took off the door skin they found the bottom inside of the door was all rusted. I didn't see it personally but the body shop owner took the attatched picture and said he's never seen that on a car so new and told me not to be surprised if the driver's side door bottom starts rusting in the near future. WTF? The car is 1 1/2 years old and yes, it's a daily driver that gets driven in the snow but it gets washed a few times a week. Has anyone else seen this or had any rust issues? Is this something I should bring to the dealer's attention and would this fall under a warranty?

BTW, the body shop fixed the rust issue on the passenger door.
Do you have water running down from your outside door mirrors after washing and drying it? From the seal? Some of the 09's (others?) have a manufacturer's defect - the angle of the holes for the screws in the mirrors are off and the mirror base isn't quite flush against the door (bad seal). Could be water has gotten inside the door. Dealers say complain to Dodge.

·
Registered
954 Posts
its kinda hard to tell from the pic,what i have notices on my car is after washing/rain when you lift the hood water runs out the latch and prop holes!!! i know this cant be good! has anyone else had this happen? it has to be coming in thru the scoops.also the front suspension components rust very quick and bad like the car has been driven on salt roads for 5 yrs!dealer says''they all do that,nothing to be concerned about!''

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've changed hundreds of door skins over the years.What you see is typical of any vehicle driven in the winter, near salt especially.The pinchweld attracts and holds moisture,sort of like a trough.Because the paint process cannot penetrate the folded over steel,it isn't coated very well.A simple way to prevent and stop existing rust is to spray WD40 into the drain holes,allowing it to saturate the bottom edge from inside.It wouldn't hurt to open the trunk and douse down the wheel opening lips as best as possible.I do this to my winter beaters and any car I work on.

·
Registered
954 Posts
rust prevention

I've changed hundreds of door skins over the years.What you see is typical of any vehicle driven in the winter, near salt especially.The pinchweld attracts and holds moisture,sort of like a trough.Because the paint process cannot penetrate the folded over steel,it isn't coated very well.A simple way to prevent and stop existing rust is to spray WD40 into the drain holes,allowing it to saturate the bottom edge from inside.It wouldn't hurt to open the trunk and douse down the wheel opening lips as best as possible.I do this to my winter beaters and any car I work on.
sounds like a good tip!now i have a project this sunday!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You mentioned the rusting of the front suspension components. My car is garaged and will never see rain or snow, however, I also noticed the light coat of rust in some areas on the front suspension thru the wheel wells. That is pretty much normal for any car. Next Sunday, after Christmas, I am pulling the wheels off and using the KBS products to clean, remove any rust and then going back with their satin black. This car is only 3 months old. I want to do this now and keep it this way. Their system looks pretty easy and I've heard good things about it.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
How do you mask the smell of that WD40 ?
Fire up the smoker, use hickory or any fruit wood. About any kind of pork will prevent the waste of nice smoking wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2010 challenger is rusting through on left rear quarter panel.
First noticed a bubble. Then 3 more small bubbles.
Had taken it to body shop as told by dealership here in Michigan for estimates..
Tech pushed through the bubble and left a hole.
Waiting on the Chrysler corp for their decision on the repair..
Not happy with dodge on their crappy timeframe if they will even fix it..
Sure like the looks of the Challenger , But definitely will be my last DODGE .

·
Registered
150 Posts
This discussion is EXACTLY why I will be scheduling my Challenger for a Rust Stop application every year, right before winter time. My boss has it done to his car every September (you need to book your appointment super early or you will not get it done in time before the salt hits the roads) and his car is about 6 years old right now with not a single spot of rust.

Only $100 after tax and I think thats more than worth it.. I HATE rust..

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2010 challenger is rusting through on left rear quarter panel.
First noticed a bubble. Then 3 more small bubbles.
Had taken it to body shop as told by dealership here in Michigan for estimates..
Tech pushed through the bubble and left a hole.
Waiting on the Chrysler corp for their decision on the repair..
Not happy with dodge on their crappy timeframe if they will even fix it..
Sure like the looks of the Challenger , But definitely will be my last DODGE .

Chad...rusted through! That's horrible! Can you post some pics? Is your challenger a winter driver? I know Michigan is hard on cars in the winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will take some picture later and post. The car does not get exposed to the elements.Not a winter driver..
It sits covered and in the garage.

It started as a bubble so it's rusting from the inside.

More smaller bubbles has formed around the location.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Attached are 2 photos that are bubbles formed in the paint.
The bigger bubble was ruptured from the Tech at the Body shop,and was determined to be rust.He pushed a small hole through it.

The battle with Chrysler and the dealer has begun as the dealer had to take more pictures for submittal.
After his comment today I called and made a power point and submitted to Chrysler.
We shall see if they live up to the warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
its kinda hard to tell from the pic,what i have notices on my car is after washing/rain when you lift the hood water runs out the latch and prop holes!!! i know this cant be good! has anyone else had this happen? it has to be coming in thru the scoops.also the front suspension components rust very quick and bad like the car has been driven on salt roads for 5 yrs!dealer says''they all do that,nothing to be concerned about!''
That's early morning moisture condensation forming inside the hollow area of the hood - it's aluminum so no metal rusting.

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Our Challengers have a 5 year/100,000 corrosion warranty. If the bottom of your door does start to rust out, it should be under warranty. It might be worth taking it to Chrysler now just to have a record of when the rust was discovered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had some good news today that Chrysler will stand up to the warranty and replace left rear quarter panel and blend the paint.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts