Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do people do burn outs without a line-lock, without burning up their rear brakes? Or does everyone doing these spectacular burn outs have a line-lock?

If no line lock, what's the procedure for doing a burn out with an A5 or M6?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that video a few times... what a dumass!

Since there's been no responses I guess nobody here knows how to do a burnout without a line lock?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Well with an auto it's very easy, just power brake it. 6M takes a little more work popping the clutch, I've seen people do them in 2nd gear on you tube, haven't tried that yet but it definitely gives you more gear to play with.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Without too much detail. Rev the motor up, don't be a sissy about it, dump the clutch, and lightly apply brake pressure until forward motion stops. Don't hammer down on the brakes. Just enough that the fronts lock up for you and allow the rears to still spin. Turning traction control off helps as well. I always drive full off, key trick on my R/T, so I don't know if you can do a standing burnout with TC on or not.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Don't know but hope it goes better than what this guy did...
corvette burnout gone bad - YouTube
I love that video. My favorite part is when when he says something like "burnout attempt number 1" and his buddy says "ummm that smoke wasnt from the tires". I love how his friend filming just let him keep doing whatever he was doing. In fact, what was he doing? Reving it with the clutch in? How can he not notice he wasnt spinning the tires? This video is an absolute classic IMO

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see in your signature 6M - as Jaelliot stated. -Clutch in , Blip the throttle bring your RPM's (#depends upon driver) , Pop clutch, Clutch foot over to brake pedal, right foot back on the throttle again. If you haven't done a burnout yet... some tires work better than others for this others not so much also depends on the surface if its been treated or not.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I love that video. My favorite part is when when he says something like "burnout attempt number 1" and his buddy says "ummm that smoke wasnt from the tires". I love how his friend filming just let him keep doing whatever he was doing. In fact, what was he doing? Reving it with the clutch in? How can he not notice he wasnt spinning the tires? This video is an absolute classic IMO
Yeah lots of stupid in that video. I guess initially he was feathering the clutch with the brakes on hard so the clutch started to get hot, by the time he got it really going he was probably off the clutch but by then but the clutch was already frying and slipping bad. And then even dumber is when the cameraman walks right in front of a 500 hp car doing what he thought was a burnout, if it really was doing a burnout and suddenly got traction he could have been run right over! The driver saying bye bye $600 for tires, uh no more like bye bye 2 grand for a new clutch lol. Just classic youtube fail.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, seems simple enough but doesn't it burn up your rear brakes some?

Forgive me if I seem a bit dense but the rear brake thing has me curious.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Okay, seems simple enough but doesn't it burn up your rear brakes some?

Forgive me if I seem a bit dense but the rear brake thing has me curious.
I could be way off on this but this is what I thought anyway. The rear brakes provide a lot less pressure to the rotors than the front brakes. The little bit you are going to smoke your tires has very minimal wear on the rear pads. Heck, it's possible that they may even release if the gas is pushed with ESP off. That I don't know but with all the computers in these cars it's possible. Think of it like this though. You are going to completely burn up your tires (which cost a ton more than pads) before you burn up your pads. Neither is good for the car. Just a ton of fun. Now if you track your car that's different. However even then you are only doing it a couple of seconds to heat up the tires. This is just a guess but you probably put more wear on the pads trying to slow the 4000 lb beast down after you go down the track than lighting up the tire to get them sticky.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah lots of stupid in that video. I guess initially he was feathering the clutch with the brakes on hard so the clutch started to get hot, by the time he got it really going he was probably off the clutch but by then but the clutch was already frying and slipping bad. And then even dumber is when the cameraman walks right in front of a 500 hp car doing what he thought was a burnout, if it really was doing a burnout and suddenly got traction he could have been run right over! The driver saying bye bye $600 for tires, uh no more like bye bye 2 grand for a new clutch lol. Just classic youtube fail.
Lol I forgot about the guy that walked in front of the car hahahah I noticed that the first time I saw the vid. Yeah that video is FULL of stupidity.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could be way off on this but this is what I thought anyway. The rear brakes provide a lot less pressure to the rotors than the front brakes. The little bit you are going to smoke your tires has very minimal wear on the rear pads. Heck, it's possible that they may even release if the gas is pushed with ESP off. That I don't know but with all the computers in these cars it's possible. Think of it like this though. You are going to completely burn up your tires (which cost a ton more than pads) before you burn up your pads. Neither is good for the car. Just a ton of fun. Now if you track your car that's different. However even then you are only doing it a couple of seconds to heat up the tires. This is just a guess but you probably put more wear on the pads trying to slow the 4000 lb beast down after you go down the track than lighting up the tire to get them sticky.
Thank you, that is just what I was looking for. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you're so concerned about burning up your rear brakes then you shouldn't be doing burnouts. Rear tires are much more expensive than rear brakes.

Anyway, for an auto, you probably want to put it in manual low (1st) and shift to second before you let the rear tires "grab"....at least that's how the old 727's were. If you didn't, the sprag could possibly let go and the front drum would free wheel causing a transmission explosion. Putting it in manual low would apply the rear band and help "strengthen" the ability of the sprag to hold.

My opinion is, any burnout that is created by a "power brake" is pointless and stupid unless you're heating your tires up at the drag strip. It just looks dumb to sit there with your foot on the brake and make a cloud of smoke. Cars look much more bad ass when it's all motor and the car is pulling away fishtailing while smoking the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're so concerned about burning up your rear brakes then you shouldn't be doing burnouts. Rear tires are much more expensive than rear brakes.

My opinion is, any burnout that is created by a "power brake" is pointless and stupid unless you're heating your tires up at the drag strip. It just looks dumb to sit there with your foot on the brake and make a cloud of smoke. Cars look much more bad ass when it's all motor and the car is pulling away fishtailing while smoking the tires.
Just to be clear, I have no intention of doing burn outs or racing, I was only asking out of curiosity. :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts