Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I talked about it, and I'm going to sell my 05 GTO, drive a car we can buy with cash for a while, and use the money I would have spent on car payments to save up for a nice down payment on a Challenger. In two years time I would have about 10K saved up that would have been spent on a car I don't plan to keep anyway.

Even though I'm going to be driving a cheaper car for a while, I still want something "fun" to drive. I've been looking at an 01 Mustang GT in my area for about 8K. I have looked at F bodies too but they are hard to find in my area except for V-6 models. Anybody else owned a Mustang from this generation? It got rave reviews on cars.com (for what that's worth) but if you know of any potential concerns I'd like to be aware of them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've decided I'm not going to go with a pony car, I'm probably going to get a used Chevy Equinox or similar SUV. With a son that's a few weeks old, a four door vehicle is a good idea. Plus the SUV still looks pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I owned my one and only Ford Product, a 2001 Mustang Gt convertible. I really liked the car and it was cheap. Did some mods to it including a stereo. Long story short, the battery kept dying when left to sit for more than 2 days. Ford claimed stereo so I pulled it ALL out at one point to prove it wasn't. At that point they found a "Star Module" that controls various power accessories (Windows, mirrors, doorlocks) that went bad and was causing the drain. $350 something part and problem gone. 6 Months later (After stereo was reinstalled of course) SAME EXACT problem. They tried to blame the stereo again. I had enough and traded it in for a used 2004 Corvette Coupe. Ford is by far the WORST when it comes to fixing problems. Every time they said it was the stereo they charged me $100s of dollars. Will never own another Ford product. It's a shame because I really liked it and was going to supercharge it. But, if it didn't happen, I probably wouldn't have my awesome SRT8 so all ended well.

Just keep in mind, 2001 Mustang, same problem TWICE, twice tried to blame me for my aftermarket stereo (and I used to install stereos for 10 years professionally).

IMO STAY AWAY FROM FORD!

Plenty of trucks on car lots these days cheap. Just don't buy a FORD.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I owned my one and only Ford Product, a 2001 Mustang Gt convertible. I really liked the car and it was cheap. Did some mods to it including a stereo. Long story short, the battery kept dying when left to sit for more than 2 days. Ford claimed stereo so I pulled it ALL out at one point to prove it wasn't. At that point they found a "Star Module" that controls various power accessories (Windows, mirrors, doorlocks) that went bad and was causing the drain. $350 something part and problem gone. 6 Months later (After stereo was reinstalled of course) SAME EXACT problem. They tried to blame the stereo again. I had enough and traded it in for a used 2004 Corvette Coupe. Ford is by far the WORST when it comes to fixing problems. Every time they said it was the stereo they charged me $100s of dollars. Will never own another Ford product. It's a shame because I really liked it and was going to supercharge it. But, if it didn't happen, I probably wouldn't have my awesome SRT8 so all ended well.

Just keep in mind, 2001 Mustang, same problem TWICE, twice tried to blame me for my aftermarket stereo (and I used to install stereos for 10 years professionally).

IMO STAY AWAY FROM FORD!

Plenty of trucks on car lots these days cheap. Just don't buy a FORD.
Thanks for the advice, I am looking at an Equinox or similar vehicle. After thought, an SUV suits our needs now more than a pony car that some dude has beat the hell out of.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Jon, one word of caution. Going from a GTO to an suv will not be something you will be pleased with very long. You will miss many aspects of your GTO, and if you are anything like me, I bet it will push you into another car faster then you think it will right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts