Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend the challenger took part in a unique photo shoot that involved more dirt roads than I would like, which preferably would be none.

As a result, it got a pretty heavy coat of dust. Is there any different way to attack this with the goal of preventing damage to the paint, as much as possible? I have a foam cannon but no pressure washer so it's not the best.

Might sound dumb, but is it a thing to blow off the loose top layer with an air compressor before washing by hand?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Over the weekend the challenger took part in a unique photo shoot that involved more dirt roads than I would like, which preferably would be none.

As a result, it got a pretty heavy coat of dust. Is there any different way to attack this with the goal of preventing damage to the paint, as much as possible? I have a foam cannon but no pressure washer so it's not the best.

Might sound dumb, but is it a thing to blow off the loose top layer with an air compressor before washing by hand?
All good if you don’t have a pressure washer. Just use the foam, let it soak for as long as you can and follow up with a methodical rinse, then hand wash with two buckets with grit guards. Be sure to scrub your mit on the guard between panels and you should be good to go!

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good if you don’t have a pressure washer. Just use the foam, let it soak for as long as you can and follow up with a methodical rinse, then hand wash with two buckets with grit guards. Be sure to scrub your mit on the guard between panels and you should be good to go!
I have one bucket and guard. I don't really see the point of the second.... What is it doing that the first bucket doesn't do.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local DIY car wash. Quick, easy, and the end result is a clean car with "nothing touching the paint. "

It won't melt!
Right. I always forget these things exist. I only think about the auto wash you drive through. Even in my cars I don't care about the paint I don't waste my money on that garbage.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
If I were to encounter this sort of scenario I think my approach would play out thusly:

1) drive as fast as possible to the farthest away DIY car wash I knew of. I don’t know how much dust that would remove before I got there, but surely some would be blown away during the drive, and some is better than none.

2) upon arrival at the car wash, but prior to actually spraying any water on it, I would hit the paint with some mild spray foam wheel cleaner, like the new Armor All aerosol wheel and tire stuff that turns blue when it splits the dust atoms (maybe it turns blue when it does something besides nuclear fission, but that’s what I like to imagine is going on, so give me a break).

Yes, using that stuff could mean you have to rewax the paint after you’re done, but so what? That’s what the wax is for - a sacrificial layer to protect the paint underneath. Besides, Armor All’s wheel and tire cleaner is not strong enough to do any damage to the paint, but it just might be strong enough to help a little, so why not try?

3) Once the foam cleaner has had time to loosen things up, turn the dial to soapy water and hit the paint with a high pressure soapy water to remove whatever is loose now. Once done spraying the paint off, use the soapy spray water to clean the car wash’s brush head as much as possible (I know what you’re thinking, but just bare with me, it’s not what you think).

4) Turn the dial to foam brush, and hold the brush head 12-18” above the car’s horizontal panels and slowly work my way from one end to the other twisting the brush up and down to spread the soapy foam over as much of the paint as possible.

NOTE: Nowhere in that step did I state the brush bristles should contact the paint!

5) Turn the dial to spot free rinse and grab the wash sponge I always keep in the trunk for washing the car. Begin lightly scrubbing the paint with the sponge, all the while using the low pressure water wand to continually clean the sponge if any dirt it picks up while you’re scrubbing the paint under the foam suds from prior step.

6) once all the paint has been cleaned with the sponge and the soapy foam suds, turn dial to high pressure wash and hit the whole car again with just that to clean anything left behind.

7) turn the dial back to spotless and cover every panel slowly to remove the recycled water sprayed out with high pressure setting.

8) spray each panel with some Wax-as-U-Dry spray wax (Lucas, 303, Eagle 1, etc), hit the whole car one more time with the low pressure spotless rinse to spread the wax out.

9) turn dial to Off, grab battery powered leaf blower from trunk and dry car off as much as possible with the single 3Ah battery I brought with me.

10) finally, dry any remaining water droplets with a microfiber towel, taking the time to search for any spots that were missed in the soapy sponge step. Address those with the sponge and more soap suds, rinse and dry.

Blammo! A very clean, scratch-free wash job in only 10 slightly convoluted steps! 😁

(yes, that procedure will likely take $15-20 in quarters to complete but this is the big leagues - you gotta pay to play, right? 😎)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Rinse it, foam it, wash it...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,738 Posts
I have one bucket and guard. I don't really see the point of the second.... What is it doing that the first bucket doesn't do.
The single bucket method is okay, but the best method is to use a second bucket o rinse the dirty mitt. You don't want to contaminate your soap bucket with grit. Watch the following video at the 3-minute mark.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts

Dealers deal with new cars with dust on them all the time. The "crew" that takes care of the cars washes the cars uses a pressure washer. This really removes any dust then after someone wipes the car down to prevent water spots.

Even managed to get my car washed by one of these crews. Asked if it could be washed. Handed the guy a $20. He said yes and proceeded to blast it with the spray. After the car looked very clean. I had some business inside the dealer and when I came back to my car I pulled out some paper towels to wipe down the windows. Heard a shout and one of the car washing crew comes running over. He proceeds to chamois my car.

When my cars get dusty I just hit a DIY car wash and rinse the car all over to get things nice and wet, then follow with the soap spray setting to remove the grime and dust. Then another rinsing followed by a no spot rinse. Gets the car looking very nice. And if I wanted to and had the place to do this ready for a nice hand washing without any fear of scratching the paint.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
Screw it, go through a car wash, simple, $8. Touchless if you are that concerned. Then dry it off at 60mph, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Screw it, go through a car wash, simple, $8. Touchless if you are that concerned. Then dry it off at 60mph, enjoy.
paying someone else to install swirls on the clear coat is unnecessary when any local dodge dealership will be happy to do it for free after an oil change or tire rotation

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,717 Posts
paying someone else to install swirls on the clear coat is unnecessary when any local dodge dealership will be happy to do it for free after an oil change or tire rotation
Normal touchless is no issue, even most pad based carwashes, not like the plastic bristle ones of old. And yeah, the dealerships that "help you out" by providing a free "Detailing", yep, free, and worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
Now we are wondering about this photo shoot. Lets see some pics!

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Registered
187 Posts
The second bucket is for rinsing, grit guards in both, minimizes the chance of scratching or marring. You can do one bucket, but I would use five mitts, one for each section of the car, after your done with say the top, put it to the side and grab a clean one.

The self car washes are ok, but they’re not really removing anything but light dusting your car will 100% still have dirt on it. If you wipe it dry you will scratch the car, even the touch less auto washes leave junk on the car and the harshness of the chemicals will eventually dull the pain and prematurely fade plastic trim.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think then what I will end up doing then is just use the water at the self wash to start as an initial rinse, it's certainly better than a garden hose. Then just frequently clean out my bucket and mitt to keep them as grit free as possible.

Now we are wondering about this photo shoot. Lets see some pics!
I don't think either my SO or the mods would appreciate most of the photos being put up on the forum. Maybe there are some PG ones in there, I'll have to see when we get them back. Or, maybe one evening after a few drinks they might show up anyway.

...well, except I don't really drink. Hmm. I'll think of something.

Dealers deal with new cars with dust on them all the time. The "crew" that takes care of the cars washes the cars uses a pressure washer. This really removes any dust then after someone wipes the car down to prevent water spots.

Even managed to get my car washed by one of these crews. Asked if it could be washed. Handed the guy a $20. He said yes and proceeded to blast it with the spray. After the car looked very clean. I had some business inside the dealer and when I came back to my car I pulled out some paper towels to wipe down the windows. Heard a shout and one of the car washing crew comes running over. He proceeds to chamois my car.

When my cars get dusty I just hit a DIY car wash and rinse the car all over to get things nice and wet, then follow with the soap spray setting to remove the grime and dust. Then another rinsing followed by a no spot rinse. Gets the car looking very nice. And if I wanted to and had the place to do this ready for a nice hand washing without any fear of scratching the paint.
Problem is I don't have a pressure washer. Its on the list but not imminent.

The single bucket method is okay, but the best method is to use a second bucket o rinse the dirty mitt. You don't want to contaminate your soap bucket with grit. Watch the following video at the 3-minute mark.

Great video. Lot of information without the fluff which seems hard to find anymore.

If I were to encounter this sort of scenario I think my approach would play out thusly:

1) drive as fast as possible to the farthest away DIY car wash I knew of. I don’t know how much dust that would remove before I got there, but surely some would be blown away during the drive, and some is better than none.

2) upon arrival at the car wash, but prior to actually spraying any water on it, I would hit the paint with some mild spray foam wheel cleaner, like the new Armor All aerosol wheel and tire stuff that turns blue when it splits the dust atoms (maybe it turns blue when it does something besides nuclear fission, but that’s what I like to imagine is going on, so give me a break).

Yes, using that stuff could mean you have to rewax the paint after you’re done, but so what? That’s what the wax is for - a sacrificial layer to protect the paint underneath. Besides, Armor All’s wheel and tire cleaner is not strong enough to do any damage to the paint, but it just might be strong enough to help a little, so why not try?

3) Once the foam cleaner has had time to loosen things up, turn the dial to soapy water and hit the paint with a high pressure soapy water to remove whatever is loose now. Once done spraying the paint off, use the soapy spray water to clean the car wash’s brush head as much as possible (I know what you’re thinking, but just bare with me, it’s not what you think).

4) Turn the dial to foam brush, and hold the brush head 12-18” above the car’s horizontal panels and slowly work my way from one end to the other twisting the brush up and down to spread the soapy foam over as much of the paint as possible.

NOTE: Nowhere in that step did I state the brush bristles should contact the paint!

5) Turn the dial to spot free rinse and grab the wash sponge I always keep in the trunk for washing the car. Begin lightly scrubbing the paint with the sponge, all the while using the low pressure water wand to continually clean the sponge if any dirt it picks up while you’re scrubbing the paint under the foam suds from prior step.

6) once all the paint has been cleaned with the sponge and the soapy foam suds, turn dial to high pressure wash and hit the whole car again with just that to clean anything left behind.

7) turn the dial back to spotless and cover every panel slowly to remove the recycled water sprayed out with high pressure setting.

8) spray each panel with some Wax-as-U-Dry spray wax (Lucas, 303, Eagle 1, etc), hit the whole car one more time with the low pressure spotless rinse to spread the wax out.

9) turn dial to Off, grab battery powered leaf blower from trunk and dry car off as much as possible with the single 3Ah battery I brought with me.

10) finally, dry any remaining water droplets with a microfiber towel, taking the time to search for any spots that were missed in the soapy sponge step. Address those with the sponge and more soap suds, rinse and dry.

Blammo! A very clean, scratch-free wash job in only 10 slightly convoluted steps! 😁

(yes, that procedure will likely take $15-20 in quarters to complete but this is the big leagues - you gotta pay to play, right? 😎)
Where does the hooker corpses come into play?

Last used one of these car washes for my jeep a couple years ago. Did such a terrible job at washing I've never been back to one. Imo it's worth more as a fake carnival ride for the kids over an actual car wash.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Where does the hooker corpses come into play?
ideally you will have dropped off any passengers at the abandoned rock quarry before going to the car wash. That way the extra special cleaning that is thrown down kills two birds with one stone:
  • removes any signs of any passengers being in the car
  • cleans the dirt off the paint and makes it look great.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I do just that, the way i look at it every little it helps, i also had mine ceramic coated, that alone helped when using the leaf blower---b-4 the heavy suds then with the suds still on the car i give it a RINSE ONLY!..Then put more suds on it--and a Rinse only Again...then suds and a hand wash ---thats over kill to some but hell i can do that lol

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Normal touchless is no issue, even most pad based carwashes, not like the plastic bristle ones of old. And yeah, the dealerships that "help you out" by providing a free "Detailing", yep, free, and worth every penny.
Would not use a touchless car wash. My info is wax is added to the rinse water.

Really over the years if I have no place to wash the car at where I live a local DIY car wash suffices to remove the dust dirt, caked on slush if I drive the car in the winter, and so on. The water comes out with enough force to "blast" bugs, bird mess, etc, off the car without harming the paint/finish.

Once in a while I'll use the brush to "scrub" the car but I rinse the brush thoroughly before I use it using the wand spray and I work from the top down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts