Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've got the nitrous bug again and now I'm thinking about getting it on my 392.

Safety and reliability is my absolute first concern. The last thing I want is a busted ring. I know the safest route is not using nitrous at all, but then I won't have nitrous lol.

I know the 392 pistons and rings are not as strong as the 6.1. Here's what I have in mind

-1 step colder plugs

-Standalone fuel system with race gas

-Nitrous outlet plate system w/ 100 shot

-Custom tune

I feel like the standalone fuel system with race gas will help ensure there isn't detonation and makes any failure less likely. What are the opinions of fellow nitrous users? Do you think I would at all compromise reliability with a 100 shot running with race gas in the fuel cell? Or should I step down to a 75 shot?

Any input or advice would be very much appreciated

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
I have a friend that is running a 100 shot. Safe tune and stock plugs used and pump gas. He has been running in the bracket series at the drag strip and probably ran over 40 passes would be a good guess with no issues.

As far as I can tell a 100 shot system is pretty safe.

Reactions: A knight

·
Registered
14 Posts
150 Shot set up

As far as I can tell a 100 shot system is pretty safe.
150 shot set up:

QTP Electric Cutouts
Diablo T1000 Tuner
Diablo Sport unlocked PCM
Window Tint
Brisk RR14S
Innovate PSN-1 Power Safe NOS Bottle Press & Wideband Gauge
Jet 180 thermostats
Nitrous Express bottle heater
Nitrous Express Proton with 10 lbs. bottle
Nitrous billet bottle mount
Arrington Performance Competition Catch can V2 - Air Oil Separator
Drake Strut Brace
Nitrous Outlet 85mm Plate Conversion
Nitrous Express Purge system
Nitrous Express fuel pressure switch
Nitrous Express N2O PRESSURE GAUGE
Nitrous Express TPS WOT / DIGITAL RPM WINDOW SWITCH
Nitrous Express fuel line adapter
Hell Cat cold air box
K&N filter
Carbon fiber arming switch plate (Custom Made)
Pro Tuned for 150 and 100 shoot

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
How does a custom tune for nitrous work? If the tune is set to pull 2 degrees, is that two degrees all time? Does that mean that my wot will be slower now unless I'm on the bottle?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
150 shot set up:

QTP Electric Cutouts
Diablo T1000 Tuner
Diablo Sport unlocked PCM
Window Tint
Brisk RR14S
Innovate PSN-1 Power Safe NOS Bottle Press & Wideband Gauge
Jet 180 thermostats
Nitrous Express bottle heater
Nitrous Express Proton with 10 lbs. bottle
Nitrous billet bottle mount
Arrington Performance Competition Catch can V2 - Air Oil Separator
Drake Strut Brace
Nitrous Outlet 85mm Plate Conversion
Nitrous Express Purge system
Nitrous Express fuel pressure switch
Nitrous Express N2O PRESSURE GAUGE
Nitrous Express TPS WOT / DIGITAL RPM WINDOW SWITCH
Nitrous Express fuel line adapter
Hell Cat cold air box
K&N filter
Carbon fiber arming switch plate (Custom Made)
Pro Tuned for 150 and 100 shoot

Wow 150 shot, aren't you worried about reliability? I was told 100 shot is the max you wanna go with the 392.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does a custom tune for nitrous work? If the tune is set to pull 2 degrees, is that two degrees all time? Does that mean that my wot will be slower now unless I'm on the bottle?
Yeah you will lose a little NA horsepower with a nitrous tune, but how much depends on the tune. A good tune won't usually cause a noticeable power loss (maybe around 5 whp actually lost).

·
Registered
14 Posts
150 Shot set up

Yeah you will lose a little NA horsepower with a nitrous tune, but how much depends on the tune. A good tune won't usually cause a noticeable power loss (maybe around 5 whp actually lost).
I have a 93 gas tune and I really can't tell that much between 100 shot tune no NOS. It kinda like you know its there but can you really tell. At most on a 150 shot 5 to 6 degree change. The tune it self is the same just pulled timing. If your concerned you can add 100 oct. to the tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Risk

Wow 150 shot, aren't you worried about reliability? I was told 100 shot is the max you wanna go with the 392.
Its crazy to think that! Do you think its any different than boost. Nitrous Outlet told me you can run 300 shoot progressive and it might hold together. Just like the Super Charger people saying you can run 9 psi. and not have a problem. Its the risk you have to take. If it blows, I'll be one step closer to my forged internal short block.:laugh2:

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its crazy to think that! Do you think its any different than boost. Nitrous Outlet told me you can run 300 shoot progressive and it might hold together. Just like the Super Charger people saying you can run 9 psi. and not have a problem. Its the risk you have to take. If it blows, I'll be one step closer to my forged internal short block.:laugh2:
Yeah but the thing is I'm trying to minimize risk. You might be able to run 9 psi on a stock 392, but it probably won't last. Also nitrous hits the engine harder than boost.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also does anyone here run methanol w/ nitrous and are willing to share their experience? Would it be better to use vs. race gas fuel cell?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been trying to find instances where someone's 392 blew on a 100 shot but I haven't found anything yet. Has anyone heard of such a thing happening to anyone?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Meth

Also does anyone here run methanol w/ nitrous and are willing to share their experience? Would it be better to use vs. race gas fuel cell?
Not very reliable! I had a meth set up Snow Performance on my 2000 Procharged Mustang GT. I was constantly having to clean the jets out. The meth would harden in the small misting jets and the only way to tell if it was spraying is to check the level of the tank. I never trusted the system.

Going over 150 shot mix 50/50 93 octane with 100 and save your money...JMO!

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
You guys want to seriously consider nitrous, you better pick up this gauge. It's vital or your passenger side floorboard could fly off.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I plan on going on the bottle next year but I want an 11.9 NA 5.7 first.

For the bottle, I plan on using a progressive controller / window switch setup and nothing but a wet kit. My car is pretty opened up for flow so I feel pretty safe with a 100 shot and the timing back down a couple degrees. I'm pushing 19.5* with no knock right now.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys want to seriously consider nitrous, you better pick up this gauge. It's vital or your passenger side floorboard could fly off.
Pfffft please I'm no amateur, I've already reinforced my floorpans AND my manifold.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking today, is it the additional pressure caused by the nitrous itself that causes the piston rings to bust? Or is it due to detonation?

If it is only due to the additional cylinder pressure caused by the nitrous, then wouldn't race gas make no difference in terms of preventing damage?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I thought it was a combo of both, higher pressure means more prone to detonation which can be reduced through risk management via higher octane, cooler plugs, tune, etc. but at some point the pressure itself is to much. That is why somewhere between 75-150 shots (depending on who you read) is safe. I keep thinking about nitrous but I would start at 75 shots to be safe and to play around/learn and then maybe more.

Reactions: A knight

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
Keep her at a 100 shot A knight. Im very impressed with my buddy's Scat running low 11's with it. That will probably keep you happy.....for a while anyways! lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To each their own; I personally would never boost without a set of forged pistons at a minimum.

A drop in set on the 392 is very cheap when compared to the damage a broken ring can cause...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts