Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Keep her at a 100 shot A knight. Im very impressed with my buddy's Scat running low 11's with it. That will probably keep you happy.....for a while anyways! lol.
Yeah that's an impressive time for sure, I've even heard one guy got 10.8 with just a 100 shot and drag radials on his scat pack. Does your friend have the A8?

My current plan is to get a plate system, run a 100 shot for now, then later down the road drop in some forged pistons/rods and spray the heck out of it!!

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To each their own; I personally would never boost without a set of forged pistons at a minimum.

A drop in set on the 392 is very cheap when compared to the damage a broken ring can cause...
That's true which is why I plan on going with a very mild shot running a conservative tune, then later down the road if I get forged pistons/rods I can go with a much bigger shot.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
Yeah that's an impressive time for sure, I've even heard one guy got 10.8 with just a 100 shot and drag radials on his scat pack. Does your friend have the A8?

My current plan is to get a plate system, run a 100 shot for now, then later down the road drop in some forged pistons/rods and spray the heck out of it!!
He has the A8 and is currently running these times in 90+ heat. Im sure he will see 10's when it cools off down here in Texas.

Im pretty sure Im heading the NOS route myself. My Scat is a garage queen now so a little funny gas from time to time should be no problem at all. :grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not pressure

I was thinking today, is it the additional pressure caused by the nitrous itself that causes the piston rings to bust? Or is it due to detonation?

If it is only due to the additional cylinder pressure caused by the nitrous, then wouldn't race gas make no difference in terms of preventing damage?
Its not the pressure that causes the problem. Its the heat.

What causes the actual failure normally is just too much heat in the combustion chamber, this will cause the piston to swell and expand to the point where the rings expand also, thus eventually breaking the top of the piston due to metal expansion. On the 6.4 the top ring is very close to the top of the piston.

Race fuel (high octane) will help with the increased pressure and burn in the chamber. but to correct this properly the correct tune A/F is the key during the shot.

What would help reduce the risk: the gap of the rings will need to be checked, corrected or just replace with Mahle piston. That's why on a stock bottom and a perfect setup it's not recommended to go higher then a 150 shot.

So with the perfect setup, correct tune, plugs and race fuel you'll have a better chance with a 150 shot. But its not recommend on a stock bottom end.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
459 Posts
He has the A8 and is currently running these times in 90+ heat. Im sure he will see 10's when it cools off down here in Texas.

Im pretty sure Im heading the NOS route myself. My Scat is a garage queen now so a little funny gas from time to time should be no problem at all. :grin2:

What kit are you considering? I also meant to ask you how much you thought the slicks gave you over the drag radials at Moparfest? Wondering how you thought I did for the first time running a couple 12.5's. Felt I was getting the hang of it at the line by the end.
I'm also looking at a wet kit but I'm leery of messing with the tune because of the 1400 code and warranty issues. Maybe just 75 shot wouldn't need to pull any timing.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
What kit are you considering? I also meant to ask you how much you thought the slicks gave you over the drag radials at Moparfest? Wondering how you thought I did for the first time running a couple 12.5's. Felt I was getting the hang of it at the line by the end.
I'm also looking at a wet kit but I'm leery of messing with the tune because of the 1400 code and warranty issues. Maybe just 75 shot wouldn't need to pull any timing.
Bob, I think you did very well on your runs and were consistent. You just need some seat time is all and work on your reaction times and 60fts and you will drop a few more tenths in no time.

Im thinking of going with the Nitrious Express setup. Check out the switch panel available now.

Nitrous Express

From what I have heard a 75 shot wouldnt need a tune but read up on that. I still suggest a mild safe tune even with that low of a shot.

Im sold on slicks. I had one small slippage in the left lane on my 2nd pass during test and tune with a 12.5. Every time after that I stuck like glue.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
459 Posts
Im thinking of going with the Nitrious Express setup. Check out the switch panel available now.

Nitrous Express
That panel looks awesome but it would be nice if they had some pictures of it installed. That shape makes me think it designed to go somewhere specific in our cars, but I'm drawing a blank. :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
That slides in the coin holder cubby hole to the right of the auto shifter.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
459 Posts
That slides in the coin holder cubby hole to the right of the auto shifter.
Ahh, duh, thanks!!
Where would I store my golf tee's tho... :grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
To each their own; I personally would never boost without a set of forged pistons at a minimum.

A drop in set on the 392 is very cheap when compared to the damage a broken ring can cause...
Forged pistons do not save the day. It's all in the tune period. I've broke many forged pistons back in the day. Go back and find some info on Tim Barth and the Scat packs he's built and tuned with all stock internals making big horsepower numbers with hundreds of passes and not one broken piston.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts