Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Satallite Radio Cuts out after going under overpasses even at 60 mph. Is this normal ? I know you can actually loose signal for that brief a time, but I thought they had temporary memory that stores music data for some length of time like anti-skip on a portable cd player.
Both my girlfriends cars(other makes) get continuous reception even in a parking garage!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes it is normal for this car. Mine does it on some, not all, underpasses. Maybe some radios have a built in hard drive for providing uninterupted music but not these cars.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Your girlfriend must have a heck of a system. ours are worse than XM but even my XM radio in wy co. truck looses signal in parking garages. If it's satelite radio or TV and you can't see the southern sky any satelite radio will lose signal and even with the buffer built in the time you have no signal durring that time you have no audio.

·
Registered
466 Posts
pretty normal from my experience

·
Registered
619 Posts
All I can add to this is my wife has had two Caddy's with XM.
Her radio on both have never cut out, and when you select a channel, boom! it changes lightning fast. None of this "acquiring signal" crapola!

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
All I can add to this is my wife has had two Caddy's with XM.
Her radio on both have never cut out, and when you select a channel, boom! it changes lightning fast. None of this "acquiring signal" crapola!
I wonder if this has to do with the internal memory buffer or the bus architecture / speed of the interface between the antenna < - > radio?

I know a few of the GM models have HDD that can store 30 minutes of live radio broadcast on the fly, which may smooth out the XM sat performance.

The Sirius service is lacking...even with the $5 mo offers after letting it lapse for more than 1.5 years, I still won't re-up. Still not worth it for me.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The new cars shouldn't have a new issue with this since they have a TIVO like type of deal on with Sirius and you can rewind and what not. But without something like that your screwed, just basics of how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I still get aquireing signal even with the 2.4 software sometimes. It just depends on were you are and the XM radios that rewind don't keep you frome getting dead spots. When I lose signal and have no audio and rewind and replay it still is blank.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You have to do the Sirius signal calibration.

1. Start by turning the key to the on position after getting the engine to between 175 and 180 degrees temp.
2. Wait for all of the Idiot lights to go out. The Check Engine light may still be lit.
3. Slowly turn the volume control clockwise and then quickly counterclockwise until it stops.
4 Tune the radio to the Howard Stern station
5 Wait for him to say the word "f***" at least 4 times, (should be no more than 15 seconds)
6 Avoid underpasses from now on and it's fixed.

:)

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
You have to do the Sirius signal calibration.

1. Start by turning the key to the on position after getting the engine to between 175 and 180 degrees temp.
2. Wait for all of the Idiot lights to go out. The Check Engine light may still be lit.
3. Slowly turn the volume control clockwise and then quickly counterclockwise until it stops.
4 Tune the radio to the Howard Stern station
5 Wait for him to say the word "f***" at least 4 times, (should be no more than 15 seconds)
6 Avoid underpasses from now on and it's fixed.

:)
its still not woking

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine was doing it and it was extremely annoying. Because of that issue and the crappy sound quality, I did not continue with the Sirius after the trial period. My Corvette with XM never did this.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This is a common problem with sattalltie radio. Mine does it in my Ram and in the Charger and even in the wifes 2011 car gong under bridges and even in the garage. The signal from the satallites are very week so anything with any mass over the car will kill the signal. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
And it always will cut out! That's how it works, when the signal is blocked, it cuts out. Simple.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts