Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how it works to activate satellite radio. Not the steps to get it activated or who to call, but what is the process on the other end?

If they can't "call" the car because it doesn't have the GSM antenna, do they send you a code you plug in? If so, how do you cancel early?

As an example, my wife's 200 has the 5" UConnect with satellite radio, but no UConnect apps or cell phone options. We had a 6 month or 1 year free subscription which I never renewed, and I always thought it was just programmed to turn itself off after that. What if I did want to continue it? Since Sirrius or XM can't connect to the car via cell service, is it just a code in an email? Or can they do it OTA even though there isn't a cell option?

Working on upgrading my Challenger to an RA3 and since it never had satellite radio, wondering how it all works if I don't upgrade to the shark fin antenna.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,118 Posts
I believe that they periodically send out lists of serial numbers over the air and if your radio "hears" its own number it lets you use it. I'm sure more technical than that, but basically that is it. There isn't 2 way communication.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
The satellite that broadcasts the radio signals also sends out a list of all current subscribed radios every 5 min for that geo-zone. If your radio detects its number in the list, it starts allowing access to the various stations. If not, it continues to only allow preview channel(s).

when you contact them to renew, they’ll put you in the list and you’ll be up and going in at most 5 min.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
I believe that they periodically send out lists of serial numbers over the air and if your radio "hears" its own number it lets you use it. I'm sure more technical than that, but basically that is it. There isn't 2 way communication.
you are one of THEM, aren’t you?!?

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it.

Assuming it works off the serial number of the radio rather than the VIN of the car, if you swap radios then I guess you have to get your info updated by the dealer if you ever want satellite radio.

Good to know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
659 Posts
Got it.

Assuming it works off the serial number of the radio rather than the VIN of the car, if you swap radios then I guess you have to get your info updated by the dealer if you ever want satellite radio.

Good to know. Thanks!!
Actually.....all one has to do is contact Sirius and tell them to unsubscribe the old radio ID and then subscribe the new radio ID.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually.....all one has to do is contact Sirius and tell them to unsubscribe the old radio ID and then subscribe the new radio ID.
Thanks! Really just more curious how it works, but nice to know the option is still available.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I would think it works just like DirecTv. I wish their billing model would do the same as DirecTv though. 1 main account and something like 5 bucks a month for each additional receiver. (7 bucks through DirecTv). My telecommunications bills are adding up. 175 a month for cell phones, 65 a month for Uverse (internet) 185 a month Directv (Programming plus 7 HD DVRS) not to mention Netflix and I imagine Amazon soon and 2 cars with SXM, I don't know what it is but I know it is double.
It is really getting hard to justify my 100 to 150 a week cigar habit. Okay rant over...

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that maybe how UConnect is killing people’s PP after they turn them on with a Tazer? Through the XM antenna?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I always thought that SiriusXM just sent "enable" and "disable" commands to the radios when activating or canceling service. I mean sending the radio ID's of EVERY SXM tuner EVERY 5 minutes just does not seem practical, if it's even possible (there has to be TONS of SXM radio ID's out there)...

Something else that supports this theory is that some dishonest people would disconnect the antenna to their SXM radio before cancelling service and then keep the antenna disconnected for some period of time (maybe a month or two?) until SXM quits sending the "cancel" command - then when they reconnect the antenna a month or two later (or whatever the time period is), they still get SXM since the "cancel" command never reached the radio.

I truly think that they just send "enable" and "disable" commands every so often for a month or two (maybe less, maybe more) after an activation or cancellation and the radio itself stores the "status" of service.

You can even have them send the "enable" command manually via their web site (useful if your car was in a garage without SXM reception when the initial activation command was sent - so you didn't have to wait for the activation command to be resent while you had reception).

Again, that is just my understanding of how it works - or at least used to work. Could be wrong or outdated, but it seems to make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
5,281 Posts
The subscribed radio lists only contain the IDs for that geographical region. I cannot remember how they separate regions, but it does break up the lists so it’s not every subscriber in the company each time.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,724 Posts
I believe the radio has an encryption key. XM changes the "encryption key" they broadcast often, like Direct TV does, if the radio doesn't have the right "key" it won't receive stations. Same as how it knows what package you are subscribed to. If your subscription has run out or is cancelled, they don't send out your key any more

However, I had a Nissan NV200 for work that never shut off after the trial was up, I had it several years with XM for free. It then went to another tech, so I don't know if it was ever caught. Either the Dealer never marked it as sold, starting the trial, or it somehow slipped through the cracks

A Guy

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Maybe things have changed since the original "XM" days (instead of "SiriusXM"). Like I mentioned earlier, back in the day, people would "cheat" the system by doing a procedure like I mentioned above (disconnecting the antenna before cancelling service and leaving it disconnected for a while to avoid the "cancel" signal). For example:

A way to listen to XM/Sirius radio for free!

But like I said, maybe SXM is "smarter" than this now... It's one of lifes great mysteries as to how it really works. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts