Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've subscribed to Satellite Radio in the different vehicles I've had since 2002. I've noticed that the Satellite Radio reception in my 2016 Challenger with the 8.4AN is the weakest of all the previous cars I've owned. I'll lose reception sometimes out in the open with nothing that looks like it should be blocking it. Has anyone else had this experience with Satellite Radio in there car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,494 Posts
I agree, much easier to lose signal in the 16 than before but no idea why.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,580 Posts
Yes, just out of nowhere. But I drove a 2015 Nissan NV200 for work that did it too. Most embarrassing when you have the windows open, and Metallica cranked, and suddenly silence, then WHAM, back at full volume :)

A Guy

Reactions: gearset807

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first Satellite radio was a unit you could take from car to car and it would lose signal what looked like for no reason or it would drop out if you went under a bridge or under a tree but usually when you are out in the middle of nowhere. Once in a great while it would drop out in the open. The one in my last car never dropped out unless I went under a bridge out in the boonies. The one in my Challenger seems to drop out more often. Must be normal since you guys are having the same experience. They must have put a weaker receiver or antenna in the 2015/2016 Challenger.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,736 Posts
I agree, much easier to lose signal in the 16 than before but no idea why.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Well, there has been a drastic increase in alien activity this year.:lookaround:
Remember, we're not alone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is why I dumped XM in my previous cars. It happens in the same locations consistently in multiple cars so it's not just a radio/antenna issue. No tall buildings, bridges, trees etc. It drops out more than HD Radio. This is in Southern California so it's not like it's some out of the way market. I tried multiple calls and they couldn't give me any answers. I have a buddy who is a radio engineer and he said in many areas they don't provide a direct satellite feed. It is rebroadcast like traditional radio. I also noticed that the digital audio sounds very compressed and lower resolution on some stations. Having said that there are more dropouts in my 2016 so it may be due to a combination of signal and the antenna type or placement. I've only had my car for 3 weeks so I've got the free trial going but will dump it again when the subscription expires. Streaming audio is actually more reliable.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since it's being beamed from a satellite from outer space there shouldn't be any dead spots unless the signal is being blocked from above by a tree, bridge, structure, or mountain. I also found out that satellite radio is broadcast from antennas on the ground in major cities so that when you go under a bridge the signal does not cut out. When you're out in the middle of nowhere you will still get the satellite signal but when you go under something like a bridge it will cut out because there is no local broadcast nearby on the ground. I think though that satellite radio is cutting costs by providing less ground broadcast support these days.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only reason why I could think that the signal would drop out with a clear line of sight to the sky is that there must be a local broadcast somewhere interfering with the signal like maybe a microwave communications or some type of high intensity local communication that is swamping out the satellite radio signal. When I had the satellite radio that I could move from car to car I noticed it would always blank out at a certain place near the airport and I assumed that the radar used by the tower to control air traffic was probably swamping out the signal that's why it always occurred near the airport. This satellite radio actually had two signal strength meters, one for satellite and one for ground antennas. So I could tell when the satellite radio was using either source when it went under a bridge it was using the ground antenna when it was out in the open it used the satellite antenna. Just my observations and hypothesis for what it's worth.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
My 15 RT does the Same thing, XM just cuts out for no reason. I have a 13 and 15 Silverado with XM and it never cuts out on them unless I'm under an overpass or something understandable. Don't know why the dodge cuts out

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I have not noticed this on my 2015, nor have I noticed it having any less sensitivity than our 09 and 10 units.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 2015 does the same thing, signal drops. It is also very inconsistent sound. Some channels sound better than others and the same channel one day can sound great and poor the next.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Satellite signals are not impervious to clouds. Just saying my directv drops out at just about any sign of a cloud in the southern sky.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I drive a 2011 and the signal only goes out when I drive through tunnels and under highway overpasses for the most part. There was one incident where it went out in an open area, but I figured it was just clouds or some other atmospheric interference. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep Sirius radio because there's only 2 channels that I ever listen to. I do like those channels, though.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Satellite signals are not impervious to clouds. Just saying my directv drops out at just about any sign of a cloud in the southern sky.

I use to subscribe to Dish Network and it only dropped out on the worse of thunder storms or downpours. If you go into your setup menu there should be a selection to check the satellite signal strength. I bet you are just on the edge of needed signal strength. A cloud shouldn't block the signal enough to cause the picture to drop out.

In my Challenger, it will be bright and sunny, no clouds - in the middle of the highway with no buildings or trees around and the signal will just stop. In my 14 years of listening to satellite radio I've only had one other satellite radio drop out as much as this one. It use to drop out a lot on my Harley until I found a high gain satellite antenna, after I installed it the signal rarely dropped out. It has to do something with the sensitivity of the antenna or receiver. Since others are experiencing the same thing it sounds like it is the design of the system.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use to subscribe to Dish Network and it only dropped out on the worse of thunder storms or downpours. If you go into your setup menu there should be a selection to check the satellite signal strength. I bet you are just on the edge of needed signal strength. A cloud shouldn't block the signal enough to cause the picture to drop out.

I would say you are about 1/2 right. :grin2: The HD channels drop out with just a dark cloud between me and the satellite. I can usually change to the old format channel and watch until it gets really dark and rainy but it also goes eventually. I live on the Gulf Coast in Florida and this time of year afternoon thunderstorms are common.
I will say my satellite radio in the 2015 Challenger hardly ever drops out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chrysler switched to the XM technology from Sirius for 2015. Different satellites. Sirius has better coverage but overall poorer sound quality.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear what you are saying and I know people's experiences can be different. My portable receiver that I moved from car to car was Sirius and the one built into my last car was XM. I can't remember the one in the car ever dropping out in the open.

One thing I have noticed is that my satellite reception quits when I pull into the garage now and my last car with XM didn't quit when I pulled into the garage. So the satellite reception in the new Challengers is less sensitive.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,580 Posts
Perhaps because it is Sirius/XM and reading all satellites? Although I don't know that makes any sense. I do see a lot of people talking about reception if you google.

A Guy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Even though it's marketed as Sirius/XM, that system uses the XM satellites. It just has some extra channels compared to a straight XM receiver

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,580 Posts
There are both XM and Sirius satellites being used, and their last satellite was launched in 2013

A Guy

Reactions: gearset807
1 - 20 of 24 Posts