Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my shaker and rear spoiler are turning brown and faded... previous owner mustve used some harsh chemicals on them
Are they satin or matte black?
So im looking to remove them and paint them myself.. Does anyone have the spray paint code from mopar, or has anyone had luck matching oem with an over the counter satin spray?

Will i need to buy new "SHAKER" chrome decals to restick after painting, or has there been luck with an over the counter sticky tape??
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a Shaker and it's not matte it's satin. I would think any black statin would work since it's not going to be blended in with any other part on the car.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,216 Posts
They are more of a satin/natural textured black plastic. I would try some trim restorer products first. And/or heat gun but carefully.

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
the paint is a mix of a couple items - the thing is avoiding (which the previous owner didn't do) any alcohol based products or applying any polishes that are intended for gloss paint finishes.

the alcohol can wear off the paint and polishes can change the finish and burnish and make it more glossy

·
Registered
688 Posts
what i've found after trying many product is adam's vrt is by for the best product to use on the shaker & spoiler. but that's if it just needs some restoring. if more than that you might try some novus 3 step restorer, but if too far gone this will not work either. like hal said it appears to be a mixed type of paint. too bad previous owner didn't take care of it right. 3m emblem tape will stick to anything, have used it to add emblems on the spoiler. if you are going to use as a dd like i do & will be in rain, the drain holes drain on the alternator & some belting on the other side. attach some hose & run it under the engine. in my mind a poor design that dodge hasn't fixed.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
So I have to confess that I've treated the shaker and rear spoiler like the rest of the car finish. I use Meguiar's Ultimate wax and in-between Beadmaker or Meguiar's Ultimate detailer and it looks like new after 4 years and never garaged...

·
Super Moderator
14,847 Posts
PPG....RXF Black with 15% gloss level production is what's called for in the service materials to refinish both the trim ring and the shaker bubble

1 - 7 of 7 Posts