Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As written in the title, a lot of Mopar owners here in Saudi Arabia, particulary in Riyadh, have a lot of lifter failures, including me. I have Challenger 2016 SRT. The weather in Riyadh in the summer, most of the time, hits 51C ( 124F ). So what is your recommendation for engine oil?

Most of the people here use these oils: Pennzoil , Amsoil , Lucas and Motorcraft.
Most of the people that use Mopar oil, after a period of time, have engine lifter failure. So what is the problem?

I use Pennzoil 0W40. Is it good?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Pennzoil 0-40 Ultra Platinum is factory fill oil on the 6.4 motors. It's a good oil to use. How long are you going between oil changes, miles and or months? IIRC it's every 6 months or 6000 miles, whichever comes first. The Mopar oil, is just rebranded Pennzoil.

SAE 0W40 APPROVED AND LICENSED Oils ONLY :

• Pennzoil Ultra-Platinum (PUP)
  • Schaeffers Supreme 9000
  • Valvoline Advanced (formerly Synpower) ?

Motorcraft is a Ford oil and not MS-12633 certified. Amsoil and Lucas are not MS-12633 certified either.

Found a thread on approved oils: Complete(?) list of SAE 0W40 oils that have FCA Material...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I change the oil between 2000 & 2500 miles , is pennizoil good in riyadh? cause when i say its hot believe me its very hot here in riyadh its 124F .
the lifters failure 60% of mopar vehicles here in saudi arabia have it what is the reason for that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean Most of mopar vehicles 😅
Every one i know have a dodge or chrysler have lifters failure so must of them fix it by putting hellcat lifters or non mds lifters & change the Lifters springs & closing up the MDS system

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Your oil temperature is far cooler than what I see here on a 80F day. Your gauge is showing 96C/205F. My oil temps run from the 220F to almost 250F. I'm running the OE spec Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 with a Mopar oil filter, no additives. Do you know if the cars that you are talking sit idling allot (engine at idle speed for long periods of time)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your oil temperature is far cooler than what I see here on a 80F day. You gauge is showing 96C/205F. My oil temps run from the 220F to almost 250F. Do you know if the cars that you are talking sit idling allot (engine at idle speed for long periods of time)?
Because i changed the engine thermostat from oem to Mushimoto theromstat it opens on 71F .
I don't think so , if you meaning when starting the car in cold start and the weather is very hot there is no cold start in it😂
must of people take about minute and then start driving .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lucas is just an oil thickener. it also dilutes your oil's additive package..that's not good.
96C is 204F. oil temp is not your problem.
One of my friends uses liqui moly hydraulic lifters additive for the lifters knocking to reduce it
Is this product good or bad ?

·
Super Moderator
15,433 Posts
0W-40 weight oil is recommended for temperatures between -31 degrees F and 104 degrees F.

You may want to write to Dodge to see if they recommend a higher viscosity oil, like 20W-50. It would be important to get their advice since these engines are built to close tolerances.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,195 Posts
Agree with others. Would not use Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer in my engine.

It contains:

Lubricating oils, petroleum, c>25, hydrotreated bright stock-based

60-100%

CAS#: 72623-83-7

Has a Kinematic Viscosity @40C of 440 (cSt)

That compares (unfavorably?) to Pennzoil 0w-40 which has a Kinematic [email protected] of 74.9 (cSt).

If I'm interpreting those numbers correctly that bit of Lucas supplies some kind of oil that is way thicker than the oil called for by Dodge.

It may be a stretch but if one is using that Lucas stuff and the engine is experiencing oiling issues I'd be inclined to lay the blame on the Lucas stuff.

Dodge says use no oil additive.

I have not driven in 124F ambient temperature but have driven in elevated temperatures above 100F -- up to 119F -- a number of times with a number of cars all which happened to be running Mobil 1 0w-40 oil and the engines were fine.

I have not yet ventured into those high of ambient temperatures with my previous Hellcat or my current Scat Pack, but I would not be at all concerned with Pennzoil 0w-40 Synthetic oil, the oil Dodge calls for.

My Scat Pack oil temperature can reach ~240F sometimes when driving in town traffic and the hot idle oil pressure drops a few PSI from the base line pressure I observe at 212F but still remains at 30psi.

My advice would be to stop using any oil additive and run the oil recommended by Dodge.

However, I would agree with Cuda340 that given you are operating your car above the temperature range for the Pennzoil contacting Dodge regarding what it recommends for oil when the ambient temperature is above 104F I think good advice.

Wonder if there is any bulletin issued for those areas of the southwest US -- and even in parts of the west -- where ambient temperatures can sometimes exceed 104F? (In Livermore CA where I lived a number of years about every summer daytime highs could/would exceed 104F at least for a day or two during a heat wave. Worst case is I recall one time driving when the ambient temperature was 111F.)

·
Vendor
13,244 Posts
do not recommend additives, and would reach out to Stellantis regarding oil viscosity for those type of temps,

also the image above is for the transmission, what engine oil temps are you seeing

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts

·
Vendor
13,244 Posts
recommend adding oil cooler, easy way to do it is what we suggested for track use,

RaceFlux -12AN O-Ring Boss to -10AN Male Flare Adapter Fitting x2

2015-2021 Mopar Engine Oil Filter Adapter 68166516AF | Steve White Parts 1 of these

and the largest Mishimoto oil cooler universal kit you can fit

will go a long way to help

·
Registered
328 Posts
I do not own one, but based on reading, the above about idling seems very important.
Do you sit still with engine on?
(Talking, AC on, etc?)

·
Super Moderator
15,433 Posts
Like other members have stated, an oil cooler would be a good idea for your high temperature climate. It would help to prevent thermal breakdown. This must be avoided at all costs. It occurs when a car's internal heat causes a chemical reaction in the motor oil, which causes the oil's viscosity to change. Basically, when the engine heats up beyond a certain temperature threshold, the motor oil will start to degrade.

The viscosity change caused by thermal breakdown results in decreased oil flow, which can eventually lead to increased oil consumption, deposit buildup and damage to the engine's metal surfaces.

Thermal breakdown also causes the oil's additives to dissipate or wear out more quickly. It results in the formation and release of gases, acids and other harmful insoluble compounds that can cause damage as they circulate through the engine. The oil's surface tension will also degrade, though at a slower rate than viscosity. A lower surface tension negatively affects the oil's ability to coat and lubricate metal surfaces.

A Mopar oil cooler costs $145. You will just have to find a supplier who will ship one to you.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
In my other vehicles that use 0W-40, 5W-40 is called out for hotter climates as an alternative, where low winter temperatures aren't a concern for operation / cold starting

the other item would be extended / excessive idling - that's something seen on service vehicles (police for example) where a vehicle might idle 6 / 8 / 10 hours at a time for roadside patrol / enforcement

1 - 20 of 26 Posts