Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I need help my son made me a mix of music and I saved it to the hard drive and it says unknow. wma. I received a couple cds for xmas and when I saved them it also shows unknow. So I deleted the one my son made me and resaved one of the new cds same thing came up. What can I do to fix this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ones from x mas are store bought not ones we made what else can i do

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
If they aren't wma or mp3 you'll need to convert them to that format when putting them on the stick. The extention has to be .wma or .mp3 to work.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
The system is a bit temperamental when it comes to files and formats and even the types of USB sticks used. I would try taking a CD and slide into the player and rip it directly into the unit. If that works you know the system is ok, it's more than likely a file format issue or ID tag problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The music saves just fine to the Hard Drive. When I put in the CD, it shows the track names. When I then ty to save the files, it labels all of them as unknown. I lose the track name. I have no problem saving the files, its saving them with the track name that I can no longer get to save.

Hopefully this clarifies my problem.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said you couln't save the file to HHD. So this did work and now it doesn't? Did you upgrade your software and gracenotes lately? If so you might want to put the old vertion back on.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
To get this to work the way you want is to rip them yourself, or at least tag them yourself. One of these tools is MP3 Tag Tools, great tool for this. Remember that what you see on the screen is not just the file name of the track or tracks, but also MP3 tags. If these tags are not written correctly you will not see the correct display information, this is why you see unknown. You have to use ripping software to correctly tag these tracks, it will rip and place the tracks in a directory structure so you not only make sense of these files when you browse for them on your PC, but they also get tagged correctly for the MP3 player in the car. They will get will sorted by artist, album name and title. There are many free ripping tools out there that do this, I use CDex.
Hope I didn't confuse the issue even more. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I take my car into the dealer so they can explain why this is happening. They tell me grace notes software needs to be updated, but its not covered under 3 year warranty. I disagreed with them so they agrred to call chrysler and the dealer is know claiming they dont have an updated cd and chrysler has not released one. I have a meeting with the distric manager this week. I found a web site and can burn the software, but I want to wait and see what he has to say. I asked them what they would do if the car sat on the lot for over a year before they sold it and the customer had the same issue.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Gracenote updates can't possibly keep up with new music, best to rip them on your PC and upload the MP3's to the MyGig. The unit is brutally slow ripping Cd's to the HD anyway. Home made CD's are never going to work with Gracenote.

Best option is to find an old ipod. The iPod interface is soooooooo much better than the HD. I keep a bunch of music on the HD for when I accidentally have the iPod elsewhere.
Get your some to give you his hand me down iPod. I'm sure he has upgraded at some point and you don't need one with any features, an older non video one will work fine.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
When you update the radio software it should update grase notes. Mine did. It's a free download and you can download the original one and reput it on if you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts