Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
totally threw me off when I passed a new 392 that is being driven in the winter. passed it in a local parking lot. being from the north (Canada) I never thought I would see one of these at this time of year. I felt sorry for it lol. gotta be pretty bad in icey conditions, and no winter tires either. pure black and real dirty. anyone else see any of these at this time of year being driven in the snow? I don't even drive mine in the rain lol.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Blizzaks make most everything driveable in the snow. I'm a huge fan after driving a buddy's M series BMW in SLC after a huge snowstorm. Stuck to the road like velcro.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
If it doesn't have Blizzak's on it.. Won't be long before it's wrapped around a tree.

Reactions: swatdoc

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I drove mine home in Feb in slush...it did just fine

I ran it through a car wash with an under flush 4x to clean out all the salt

to some people a $50k car is a daily driver.....to most its something special only driven in the summer.....some day I hope to have so much money I can spend $50+k for a daily driver

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Driving mine today, no slick roads, but we have already had snow, salt on the ground, it's a car, drive it.
This is where I am headed. I think everyone is has to make up their own mind if they bought a collectors item (which is great if that is what you want), or a daily driver, or something in-between. I just bought my SRT two weeks ago, and I've had days of high anxiety anytime someone parks near me, or a dog runs near by, or I see a drop of dust! Even last night I lost sleep worrying about the bitter cold conditions in my garage!!! So finally this morning, my wife looked at me and said, "just enjoy your car, drive it until you wear it out and buy a new one."

Sorta clicked with me what it is I'm in for. I'm looking for snow tires now. I won't be driving in blinding snow, but a little bit of weather won't hurt - that's why I have heated mirrors and steering wheel. :) Totally respect folks that garage their beauty for the winter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Winter Driving

Heres my two cents. I'm in my sixties and have had a ton of cars and always drove them year around here in Cleveland. Partly because at times I couldn't afford two cars, but the other times I drove them because I love cars and refuse to leave them in my garage. I've always constantly washed them and kept them as clean as possible. My feeling is if I drop dead and I've babied and garaged and kept a super low mile car some bastard will be knocking at my door wanting to buy that mint car so he or she can enjoy it. No saving it for anyone, I worked for it and I'll enjoy it, period. Also I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars mostly stick shifts early on and in all the worst weather. Drive slowly and safely within your comfort zone. I drove back from Chicago twice a couple years back through a blinding snowstorm in a Mustang GT, manual shift and never missed a beat. Luck? Maybe. But I drive them and enjoy them.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
^^^^^What Blackie said!! ^^^ LOL. I`m here in Minnesota and drive my SRT whenever possible. That heated steering wheel suuuurrrre feels good in my hands (laugh). I also grew up here and drove my 1968 Roadrunner 383 4 speed all winter back in the day in the snow with $10.00 re-treads on the back

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
I drive mine all year. We get snow up here pretty good in Connecticut. As long as the roads not covered in ice and snow, I'll drive.

Why people spend this much for a car and not drive it in rain and other conditions is beyond me..... It's a car. :brickwall:

Reactions: Sandshar

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
Driving mine today, no slick roads, but we have already had snow, salt on the ground, it's a car, drive it.
True it's a car. But the winter here in the north east is why my wife and I have two other vehicles. My SRT will NEVER see road salt. Getting caught in the rain once in a blue is one thing, but the day the first spreading of road salt goes down, it will stay put in the garage till spring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: 6 shooter

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've always had multiple cars. I am know retired. I have a brand new Challenger I'll baby it when I want and beat on it when I want, It will always be taken care,but I'M Gonna Enjoy IT! By the way when I had my '10 I got caught in the snowy mountains and it did great.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Driving in snowy conditions

My car came with the staggered 245s and 255s in back on the F1s. Now I opened my mouth about driving in all conditions but I've yet to try these tires in rough weather. Although I don't have much of a choice at this point so we'll see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Snow

Eric, do you have the same Goodyear F1s? Again I spouted off about driving the Mustang GT with the hotter GT tires and doing okay but haven't driven in snow with these yet. How were they if you drive within your limits in the snow?

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I can understand the I bought it and I am going to enjoy it thought process. Cars ARE built to be driven and as Blackie said if you don't drive it the person after you will. 99.9% of everything before 1978 was RWD and most were manual too... that was just the way it was. I park my RTC in Winter simply because I don't want to see the salt eat the rims like they did on my last CHallenger. I drive it in nice weather almost daily and don't freak out if it is going to rain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is where I am headed. I think everyone is has to make up their own mind if they bought a collectors item (which is great if that is what you want), or a daily driver, or something in-between. I just bought my SRT two weeks ago, and I've had days of high anxiety anytime someone parks near me, or a dog runs near by, or I see a drop of dust! Even last night I lost sleep worrying about the bitter cold conditions in my garage!!! So finally this morning, my wife looked at me and said, "just enjoy your car, drive it until you wear it out and buy a new one."

Sorta clicked with me what it is I'm in for. I'm looking for snow tires now. I won't be driving in blinding snow, but a little bit of weather won't hurt - that's why I have heated mirrors and steering wheel. :) Totally respect folks that garage their beauty for the winter.
Ditto here except mine won't even see rain unless it happens by mistake. It will be used plenty but under controlled weather conditions. You should have seen how much I yelled at my son when he parked his car in front of my garage which prevented me from entering straight...............

Bad weather is what I kept my '97 pick-up, with 215,000 miles, for (and the dirt bikes and quads too).

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
My car came with the staggered 245s and 255s in back on the F1s. Now I opened my mouth about driving in all conditions but I've yet to try these tires in rough weather. Although I don't have much of a choice at this point so we'll see.
Unless I have a fluke car, with the F1s, you will get stuck on flat ground in an inch of snow. I got trapped in Wyoming in April during a snow storm and could not drive my car the entire week I was there. I had to buy 200 pounds of premix concrete and put it in the trunk just to get out of my moms neighborhood and get back home to Az. If I lived in a bad weather state of buy blizzaks and drive year around though. I love this car lol!!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Mine is not an SRT but I am running the F1 tires. Personal experience here - Love driving my car when I can so ended up driving it out of town to one of my daughters concerts. Partway thru the concert I find out it is about to snow back home :icon_eek:

Gave the kid a hug, jumped in the car and hoped for the best....
Ended up driving 6-8 miles thru 1/4 to 1/2 inch of new snow... OMG, never again!!!!! Racing slicks on pure ice would probably have better traction!!!!! My traction control and anti-lock brakes nearly exploded trying to keep up. And I will be honest... I have lived in Iowa nearly 50 years and used to drive a 69 Torino Cobra on bias ply tires. Would have almost traded the Challenger for the Torino at that point.

Best recommendation I have would be to NOT tempt fate with the F1's in winter climates. Regardless of how good of a driver you are - you will likely end up regretting it.

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Mine is not an SRT but I am running the F1 tires. Personal experience here - Love driving my car when I can so ended up driving it out of town to one of my daughters concerts. Partway thru the concert I find out it is about to snow back home :icon_eek:

Gave the kid a hug, jumped in the car and hoped for the best....
Ended up driving 6-8 miles thru 1/4 to 1/2 inch of new snow... OMG, never again!!!!! Racing slicks on pure ice would probably have better traction!!!!! My traction control and anti-lock brakes nearly exploded trying to keep up. And I will be honest... I have lived in Iowa nearly 50 years and used to drive a 69 Torino Cobra on bias ply tires. Would have almost traded the Challenger for the Torino at that point.

Best recommendation I have would be to NOT tempt fate with the F1's in winter climates. Regardless of how good of a driver you are - you will likely end up regretting it.
Maybe it's a Toxic Orange thing lol No, it's just the F1s are not meant for snow, any snow!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts