Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as im driving in burbank Ca, i spot a black challenger a few cars ahead of me. as i get closer i see it has the button on the trunk so i think to myself it must be a 2011 model, i see dual exhaust but small wheels. unusually small wheels, couldve been a v6 but said R/T on the grill, then i spot some wires coming out the passenger window and going to the roof. i get a little closer and i see a small highlighter sized device taped on the roof which the wires connect too, and then i see the interior has the new steering wheel, but when i go to the front it has an older bumper. it also had michigan plates and a woman was driving it. any ideas to what it was for???

·
Registered
423 Posts
as im driving in burbank Ca, i spot a black challenger a few cars ahead of me. as i get closer i see it has the button on the trunk so i think to myself it must be a 2011 model, i see dual exhaust but small wheels. unusually small wheels, couldve been a v6 but said R/T on the grill, then i spot some wires coming out the passenger window and going to the roof. i get a little closer and i see a small highlighter sized device taped on the roof which the wires connect too, and then i see the interior has the new steering wheel, but when i go to the front it has an older bumper. it also had michigan plates and a woman was driving it. any ideas to what it was for???
maybe out there in radio active land ... it was for a movie?:smokin:

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
It could be a test mule - some manufacturers will run vehicles in "real world" driving for validation testing of various systems to see how things behave in the day-to-day use.

Its not uncommon to see "new" models with unfinished or missing trim or the older body style with parts that belong on the new upcoming version and have all the required body parts to be street-legal.

In some cases a new engine/driveline might be installed in the older body that would otherwise not exist as a regular production model - some manufacturers have done a number of the one-off test mules to develop engine tuning or drivability test simulations.

There were posts of pre-production 2011 Challengers on the road that had missing steering wheel badges or lacking badges that clearly identified the exact model.

Some even had wire harnesses snaking around the dashboards, going to laptop computers to log data during the road testing that were obviously not part of the production version wiring setups.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts