Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ran into the new Corvette

I had not been too impressed with the photos I had seen on the mags, but yesterday I took my 392 for a drive along Pacific Coast Highway and ran into a GM regional employee driving a brand new Corvette in Malibu.

In particular, I didn't quite like the new tail light design, but the whole thing looks much better in person; and those quad exhaust tips look just awesome! :thumbsup:

This car looks mightily impressive! The exterior is just stunning and the interior craftsmanship, fit and finish is at a level of that of the best from Germany.

This Vette had a red and black leather interior, with real carbon fiber and aluminum trim accents. It was drop dead gorgeous. The guy said the MSRP of this particular car is $68k, but they start at $58k.

A couple issues I still have with Corvettes: that seat cushion is still only six inches from the ground, which requires some acrobatics to get in-and-out; and that is still one big *ss in tow, with marginal utility to boot.

He said the "theme" with this new Corvette is that everything is real: if something looks like carbon fiber, it is real carbon fiber; if it looks like leather, it is real leather; if it looks like aluminum, it is aluminum; if it looks like an air scoop, it is a functional air scoop.

It is great to see these days what Detroit is really capable of.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yea I'm starting to get a little envious of these
If my kid was a little older and didnt love the challenger id be all over these
In a couple years I'll own one of these no doubt

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
IMO this newest iteration retains what was good about Corvettes: iconic looks and supercar performance for half the price; addressing its imfamous Walmart fit-and-finish should help it to compete more credibly with the best from Europe.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It seems pretty pricey with all the options
Better off getting one a year old with a few thousand miles at a discount
Otherwise your spending 60-65+ out the door

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I love Corvettes and I'm planning on getting a C7. It's a serious sports car, but the experience is completely different than the Challenger. That's why I'm intending on having both. I love them both in different ways.

I love the new styling and I've owned 2 C4s and 2 C6s. My dad took a little longer to get used to it until he saw it in person and then he got it. If you're not sure about it, wait until you see them in person. It's gorgeous. The interior is fantastic and fits tall guys like me, the carbon fiber and aluminum looks great and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I can't wait to get a Callaway Corvette of my own.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
ive seen a blue one on the road.....its a beauty and they will sell tons of them

in 3 years we will see them daily and they will no longer be as special

im shocked how they can get a 450hp(or whatever it is) car to go 0-60 in 3.7 seconds

the new Impala is really spectacular too....Chevy is doing things right lately....im waiting to see their new performance sedan on the road(the SS)....it will hurt Charger sales id assume

·
Registered
508 Posts
Local dealer has a green one, it is beautiful, price is 63,+. They also have a Hot Wheels Camaro, it looks good as well. Chevy, definitely has some good looking cars, can't wait to see the SS my self, only drawback to the new Chevys is price, looked at a Impala with my Mom, it was over $43,000, about $20,000 more than her current Impala when it was new.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
wait till you sit in one..
& if you're lucky enough, wait till you DRIVE in one...

Then listen to the comments!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The new C7's are pretty impressive, I must say. A major upgrade from the C6 and definitely worth it IMO.

+1 on GM stepping up their game.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
A local performance shop that I frequent has one as a shop car. I'm not a fan. I don't even like the new viper. For som reason, these cars don't look right. They're a bunch of weird angles and odd shapes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I really like them I've had 3 vettes 2 new ones , if I could swing one I would buy one in a second! My income these days is not good enough! Maybe if the economy would change for my line of work I'd be back in the money, but for now. NOT!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
im shocked how they can get a 450hp(or whatever it is) car to go 0-60 in 3.7 seconds
455hp to 460hp(w/ perf. exhaust option) and 3,300# base curb weight.

That's the secret there.

Less weight than any other new V8 4 passenger vehicles available for sale today.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
was on my list for next car, along with that thing that Huggy Drives. love both of them

·
Registered
477 Posts
First, I'm a MOPAR or no car guy.

I was at the dealer the other day looking at the new Viper. Too big and too expensive. The C7 is half the price and offers similar handling characteristics. Sorry Viper faithful but the LA derived/Lamborghini overhauled V-10 should have been replaced by the Hemi derived plant Daimler killed years ago.

I am not happy about Viper becoming irrelevant. With the C7 out, and no lightweight V8 based alternative on the SRT roadmap planned, I'm afraid GM has won this one.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
my love affair with corvette styling ended in 1982, however that is still a great looking car.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
everything could have been great with this car until they completely missed the design of the rear lights/lenses....the rear of this car is terrible but at 60k this is a steal especially with a dry sump unit and a cooled differential...well done

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
everything could have been great with this car until they completely missed the design of the rear lights/lenses....the rear of this car is terrible but at 60k this is a steal especially with a dry sump unit and a cooled differential...well done
That's something that can be restyled by GM relatively easily. I wouldn't be surprised in 2-3 model years of that being changed.

In the lighter colors, the rear diffuser is huge and it chops of the rear of the car as well - that was another styling misfire there too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts