Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are probably other threads like this, but nothing I could find that fit so here goes.

After many months lurking, I joined when I purchased my ride. Have had her for two months now and I am starting to consider more power. Having read all the threads about Maggie vs KB, I would rather not beat that dead horse, so a specific brand is not important. It looks(from a laymans point of view) like you can achive about the same power gains (at stock boost level) but with a much lower investment for NOS. I'm looking for about 450 RWHP on an RT.

1. What is the approximate cost to SC (with install tune and all the do-dads needed)?

2. How much for a NOS set up in the same power range?

3. What are the pros and cons of each (excluding cost)?

Thanks in advance.

5,134 Posts
Rule 1: when discussing Nitrous Oxide, don't call it "NOS". N2O, nitrous, laugh gas, juice -- all acceptable.

1- About $6000, unlimited usage

2- About $1500, plus a charge to refill the bottle

3- Boost will always be there for you, no matter what. With the bottle, you need to make sure it's warmed up, and if it's empty, the fun is over.

Nitrous is definitely the best bang for the buck -- but most people who use it use it at the track exclusively. For a power adder, it's a hassle.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
6000 for the set up sure, but dont forget here in canada another $3500-4000 for exhaust, tune ,install. $10k-$12k is more like it. just keepin it real!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Ya, I was close to 10K for the blower, plugs, injectors, tune on the stock 6.1. Welcome, congrat's on the purchase and good luck.

·
Banned
664 Posts
6000 for the set up sure, but dont forget here in canada another $3500-4000 for exhaust, tune ,install. $10k-$12k is more like it. just keepin it real!
Toofart lives in Canada, is there a requirement in your province you have to buy exhaust,tune and can not install it yourself? None of that is required for the 6000.00 he qouted.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so far.

TF I read you n2o it is.

I would add that I would rarely if ever track the car.

Was thinking just about more power when I get on it for fun.

Plus it is only used 300-400 mile a month if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Toofart lives in Canada, is there a requirement in your province you have to buy exhaust,tune and can not install it yourself? None of that is required for the 6000.00 he qouted.
no requirement, but surely dont tell me you would install a sc and not get an aftermarket tune and exhaust...
certainly you can do the install yourself...it is just a bolton

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not sure about today's N2O systems, but I installed a NOS kit in 1984 on my 70' LS5 Vette and it wasn't "streetable" at all. The drivability sucked, it was all or nothing. I had to get up to about 45 - 50MPH before hitting the button or else I would just roast the tires and go no where. By the time I did get traction, I was already at 70MPH plus and that is when the speed limit in California was 55MPH. At least with a centrifugal, and to a lesser degree twin screw/roots, SC you have some control over the additional power and is a lot more "streetable".

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
If you're looking at that kind of money I would go with a stroker over an SC all day long. The power is there 24/7 and it will be much stronger if you want to add an SC later.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you're looking at that kind of money I would go with a stroker over an SC all day long. The power is there 24/7 and it will be much stronger if you want to add an SC later.
i agree 100% build from the bottom up...if you want it to last.
based on 12-30 engine builds later (depending on what you consider a build)

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Our complete nitrous system runs $999 and this includes everything you need to install and run up to a 175 shot. Plugs, bottle, nozzles, heater, gauge, lines, blow down tube, purge etc. The only thing you will need is a tune if you want to go over a 100 shot. Figure on $1600installed here at speedlogix. This will add 50-150 rwp depending on what shot you use and get your car easily into the mid 11's at the track on drag radials.

A supercharger will run as low as 5k and as much as 7.5k depending on which system you choose. A system like a vortech or procharger will be about $5100 for a complete system with tune. This will add 100-120 rwhp to your car with no other mods.
At speedlogix a vortech 5.7 system with tune will run about $6000 installed

If you were looking at a magnacharger, figure on about $7300 Installed.
The Maggie is also available with a drivetrain warranty as well, which a lot of folks like for peace of mind.

The only other incidentals. Would suggest would be gauges...depending on what mounts and type of gauges figure on 500-800 for gauges.

Either of these systems will definitely put you in the 12's and should put you in the 11's on drag radials.

Pros of a sc is that it is always on...you have the power at anytime, the nitrous, will give you plenty of power when you want it but remain stock when you don't. IMO nitrous is more for someone that ?wants power at the track and not always on the street. If youplan on mostly street driving the sc makes more sense as you will always have the power. I see you are just up the road from us, feel free to pm me or give us a call if you have specific questions, we would love to help out.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Rule 1: when discussing Nitrous Oxide, don't call it "NOS". N2O, nitrous, laugh gas, juice -- all acceptable.
NOS is acceptable IMHO. It's a brand name that has become synonymous with a nitrous oxide system. Much like Kleenex has become synonymous with facial tissue.

With regard to supercharger vs. nitrous, that debate will linger forever. As some have said, the supercharger is "power always on" whereas nitrous is "power at the ready." In the old days, we had a push button trigger to activate the nitrous. Nowadays, with drive by wire vehicles, it's all electronic. For example, you could configure your nitrous setup to trigger only at wide open throttle, i.e., only when you mash the pedal the floor (the most common setup on modern street cars). Professional racers will have the nitrous set in stages.

I prefer a good nitrous setup myself. I personally think that most people are just afraid of it. You hear stories of some putz who installed it wrong a blew something up, but those stories are even more common with superchargers and some putz trying to run too much boost.

5,134 Posts
My Maggie kit was $6500 USD... Delivered to my door it was $8K CAD. But the OP lives in Florida, and most shops can do free shipping to the USA. Prochargers and Vortechs are a bit less expensive.

Exhaust is really not a must, since the factory exhaust is quite capable. I'd definitely ditch the iron manifolds, but that's another couple hundred -- not thousands.

My install cost only pennies since I did it myself, and I use the stock tune from Magnacharger -- no custom tune here. With a home brewed CAI I pulled 475hp at the wheels.

NOS is acceptable IMHO.
It just sounds like Fast and Furious ricer lingo to me.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I've always looked at it like this.....I want power when I want it, not just when the bottle is full and warm.

The investment will be significantly higher with a supercharger, but for the way you're describing use of your ride, I think you'd be happier with the supercharger.

If you want to keep costs down, get a Vortech kit from a shop that has experience with them. A custom tune added to that kit would be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I've always looked at it like this.....I want power when I want it, not just when the bottle is full and warm.

The investment will be significantly higher with a supercharger, but for the way you're describing use of your ride, I think you'd be happier with the supercharger.

If you want to keep costs down, get a Vortech kit from a shop that has experience with them. A custom tune added to that kit would be beneficial.
Agreed if you're not going to track it and are set on an SC (rather than a stroker). Except definitely go with ProCharger. They have a much better step-up ratio than the Vortech.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
built engine , stroker .... 150 shot ... converter , gears and blutops ... and all thats left is the yelling .. woooooooohoooooo

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about turbo charging? Had twin turbos on my 2000 Mustang and it was great. Nothing beats turbos for torque. Had it for 5 years and no trouble at all. Just saving my bread for the 6 grand it costs.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
What about turbo charging? Had twin turbos on my 2000 Mustang and it was great. Nothing beats turbos for torque. Had it for 5 years and no trouble at all. Just saving my bread for the 6 grand it costs.
Turbos are great especially on a built motor, however the entry fee is going to be higher than 6k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts