Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a lot of research on challengers and I am interested with either the scat pack or srt 392. The srt is too expensive for me new at around 50 K or about 10K more than the scat pack. Used the price seems more in my range. I see some on carmax and such with low miles but am concerned with seriously considering them. I am worried that the previous owner might have beat it up or done some bad mods on it. I have never bought a used car before and it seems this is might be a bad time to start. How would I even check for these things in a used srt? I would only buy from a big place like carmax and not a private seller or some small used car lot. Also why would someone get rid of a srt with very low miles? Does this indicate a serious problem with the car? Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am doing a lot of research on challengers and I am interested with either the scat pack or srt 392. The srt is too expensive for me new at around 50 K or about 10K more than the scat pack. Used the price seems more in my range. I see some on carmax and such with low miles but am concerned with seriously considering them. I am worried that the previous owner might have beat it up or done some bad mods on it. I have never bought a used car before and it seems this is might be a bad time to start. How would I even check for these things in a used srt? I would only buy from a big place like carmax and not a private seller or some small used car lot. Also why would someone get rid of a srt with very low miles? Does this indicate a serious problem with the car? Thanks.
There are a lot of car enthusiasts that either drive their cars very little (garage queen) or get tired of a car very quickly, or always want the latest and the greatest.

For instance, there are quite a few Hellcat owners that are selling their perfectly good, low mileage Hellcats at a big loss in order to purchase a Demon, only because it is the latest and greatest.

Most car enthusiasts take real good care of their cars, especially the maintenance.

If you are worried about the reliability of the used car, purchase one that still has some factory warranty or an extended warranty with it.

There are some real great deals out there right now on some Awesome low mileage performance cars.

Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm somewhat in a similar position. I'm fairly solid on ordering a new car come next year to get a 2018, however I saw in my area there were a few 2016 SRT's with less than 10K miles on them for around $42K. One of them came with the 7 year 100K mile extended warranty (which is nice to have)

I am wondering what kind of depreciation I'll get hit with when I buy my SPS. I'm able to get through Costco Auto a SPS with Dynamics package for around $42K OTD. I think the depreciation on the SRT has probably leveled off, its just too bad that I likely won't be able to get a 2017 next year at similar costs.

The cars are going to be identically speced (with the exception that it looks like all SRT's had the sunroofs) and of course the 3-mode adjustable suspension, and full Leather seats.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I'm in the same situation, wanting a used SRT or new Scat Pack. The first SRT I looked at wasn't at all like Carmax described it, luckily it was a free transfer to my local Carmax. Now I'm leaning toward a new Scat Pack Shaker as soon as I sell my 2010 R/T.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder if the SRT Will hold a greater value long-term over the SP. Theoretically it should, however I do worry about the 3-mode suspension. I have a GX470 that I had the rear struts blow on it and each strut was almost $400 to replace. I ended up ripping out the entire suspension, lifting it 3" and putting some good sized A/T's on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
I wonder if the SRT Will hold a greater value long-term over the SP. Theoretically it should, however I do worry about the 3-mode suspension. I have a GX470 that I had the rear struts blow on it and each strut was almost $400 to replace. I ended up ripping out the entire suspension, lifting it 3" and putting some good sized A/T's on it.
List for each front strut [SRT 3-mode] is $764

List for each rear shock [SRT 3-mode] is $760-767

the discounted prices run mid 500s on these units, so that's a consideration with long-term ownership. These are wear items.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Look at the classifieds on here. What other people have said about private owners is true, to an extent. You're more likely to find a conscientious owner on a forum like this (or on the "other" challenger forum) than anywhere else.

Second, get your own financing through your bank or credit union and you can buy from a private owner. Don't use dealer financing if you can help it, even if you buy from a dealer: it's generally more expensive.

Also, don't get stuck on an SRT. Scats have the same motor and are considerably less expensive, as you've seen. Look at R/Ts, too, if you're set on getting a V-8. It's not as powerful as a Scat or an SRT, but it's no slouch either (and it's easier to mod down the road if you want more power).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Glad I purchased my A8 '15 SRT. I've put over 14K miles on it and not a lick of problems and tons of fun. I drive it hard on occasion and have done a few track and strip days. These cars are made to have fun with and always dependable. My car is not "beaten" but driven as designed and meticulously cared for. I especially like the AAR 'Cuda inspired hood but chose the SRT for 3 mode suspension, wider tires and big brakes. Mods I've installed are pretty tame: KW lowering springs, 285/40 tires, K&N CAI, catch can and strut tower brace. I also replaced the DOT3 brake fluid for DOT4 high temperature. I purchase the 7yr/75K extended warranty but most likely will not have it that long. When I trade this, it will be for a used Hellcat. I'm not worried if the prev. owner had fun with it as long as it was taken care of and the super charger is free of the current bearing failure issue. Either way, it will still have some warranty left so not a big deal to me.

I think the main thing in buying one of these used is make sure it has not been custom turned (unless you want it). That voids many drivetrain warranties and is recorded as being modified for the life of the car. Many are misinformed that simply swapping the ECU/PCM back to stock will hide a custom tune but in reality, signs of it having been done are stored elsewhere in the cars electronics and not eraseable. As always when buying used, have an independent pre-purchase inspection by a mechanic of your choice and not just some dealer telling you "all of our cars are quality inspected/cerified".

·
Registered
300 Posts
If your buying an SRT of course you are going to "drive" it. Why would'nt you?

Ive got 26k on mine..Love it. All maintenance work done by the same dealer and I kept all records.

Had a few drag strip days and a few road course days 4 trips to Florida...why not? Thats what its made for and its got a warranty if anything goes wrong.

Its not really how it was used but the condition of the car and if it was maintained and if there are the records to prove it. Its ok to use the car for what it was made for..you just want one thats not abused.

Try and find one with no mods and that you can tell looks good..good paint work under hood and trunk to be really clean in all the jambs and no wear and tear..interior not beat up etc. Chances are if it was taken car of like that it was maintained well especially if there are receipts etc and some documentation form the owner.

I keep a small note book with all the records and mileage on read trips and stuff.

Its kinda like asking your girlfriend whos great in the sack if she slept with alot of guys before you..LOL Of course she has.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Just my opinion here: the SCAT and the SRT are both excellent cars.
I just bought an 2015 SRT 392 A8/16k miles with 2 options: white pearl coat (500) and the technology group (900 I think).
I found it through Car Gurus at a Caddy dealer in Tampa 3 weeks ago for 36999: local trade. It had been on the lot for 41 days and they were going to wholesale it (company policy) if it didn't sell within the allotted 45 days. I did a little negotiating, claiming the front brakes were wearing a little unevenly (this is due to the orientation of the disk SLOTS and is normal. I quoted the price of factory pads and disks and they bought my bluff). They were willing to deal and let it go for 36000.

I bought from a dealer that doesn't normally sell this kind of car. Worked out in my favor. I would guess that it's hard for a Caddy dealer to sell a Dodge.

Here's what I checked: every inch of the car. No rock chips. This guy wasn't a tailgater. No door dings: this guy was conscientious when he parked: a good sign that he was the same with everything else. No rubber particles up inside the rear quarter panel. Look just behind the wheel well. Original tires on the car with excellent tread and normal for the 16k miles on my car. New tires on the car would have been a deal breaker. I don't want to hear WHY they put them on: not interested. Look for careless scratches, tears in the seat, stains and gouges in the trunk: this stuff is an indicator this someone did not take excellent care of his car.

The tires are your best gauge for abuse.

Tire burners and drag racers may well have some new rubber by that time. Mileage above 25k, don't buy it because you probably won't find original tires and can't gauge anything. Front brake rotors with about .010 wear (per side) relatively normal for the miles. Check edges of rims for scuffs, front jack points for signs that a shade tree mechanic and his floor jack that hacked up the area. Have the car taken to a shop you trust and have them put it up on a rack. Worth every dime they charge.

My car has 5 months of factory warranty left (wasn't real happy about this, but given the condition of the car, it's acceptable)

Entire car is bone stock. No mods.

Car drives and runs perfectly and I have an SRT 392 for Scat Pack money. Love the adjustable suspension and leave it on soft all the time as I don't like a rough ride. Scat Pack doesn't come with this. Love my standard equipment ventilated seats: this is an option on the Scat Pack and really narrows the gap between the two cars: a Scat will cost a lot more when ya load it up.

Get a genuine car fax and look for factory documented maintenance done on the car.

No paper trail: NO DEAL

Period. End of story. No exceptions. Absolute deal breaker. Remember that one ounce of paper is worth far more than an "honest face." Get my drift?

That said, don't be afraid of buying a used SRT. This car is built STRONG and the tires will likely tell you all you want to know about abuse. There are plenty of SRT owners out there that baby these things. If all you can see on the outside is in order, it's likely that they things you can't see will be in order as well, and the factory warranty will back it up.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Whatever you do don't let a carfax have any more than minimal influence on what you buy...They have about as much reliability as a hungry used car salesman high on crack.. Trust verifiable facts and what you can see and hear..and real research.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Whatever you do don't let a carfax have any more than minimal influence on what you buy...They have about as much reliability as a hungry used car salesman high on crack.. Trust verifiable facts and what you can see and hear..and real research.
This is a good point. A bad Carfax is indeed a deal breaker, but a good one is NOT a guarantee. For example, CF will report a car repaired through an insurance claim, but not a car repaired by it's owner.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
This is a good point. A bad Carfax is indeed a deal breaker, but a good one is NOT a guarantee. For example, CF will report a car repaired through an insurance claim, but not a car repaired by it's owner.

I agree...and then sometimes it takes awhile for things to actually show like body damage etc...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Lots of good advice given.

I would not be scared of buying a low mileage SRT....I did it myself.

Some good points given on tires, BUT I wouldn't worry to much about a few burn outs, these are Muscle cars after all and people do have fun w/them from time to time.

NOTE: There is a HUGE difference between a spirited street driven car vs weekend drag / track car.

I would want maintenance records (STRONGLY prefer Dodge dealership maintenance records vs Speedy oil change or owner provided receipts. W/ the Dodge dealer you have a much better chance of having all the latest updates/flashes ect. done) and clean car fax/ paper trail.

As stated, look the car over VERY carefully. Putting it up on a lift is a good idea as well.

You will in all likely hood, pay more at a Dodge dealer, vs small used auto lot. It is my opinion that your odds are better of getting a quality used SRT at the Dodge dealer......JUST MY OPINION.

Lastly, I would want one w/ZERO mods...COMPLETELY STOCK! If anyone is gonna mod it, then let it be me.:grin2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also had quite a few reservations about buying my challenger. I have had dodge products all my driving time. My 99 Dakota r/t and all the problems I had with it turned me off to dodge. It was not as much as the problems but more of how dodge dealt with them and the denial of all them. I looked for a long time for what I wanted and almost bought several before finding the one I have. I would look at whether you are buying a daily driver in which case a warranty which included loaner cars would be very important or a weekender where you could have it sit or have someone else repair any problems that might arise. It's tough to determine what the cars life was. Is it worse that the car has 10 drag strip passes or 10 aggressive stop sign take offs. I would say, You will know when the right car for you is in front of you. Buy it .enjoy it. Sell it. Scratch that itch and then decide A lot of guys buy the first car and realizing how much they like it ,trade up for something a little more.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
...Scratch that itch...
Ha, love the analogy here. I was trying to explain why I bought a Mercedes SLK350 4 months ago, and now after buying my SRT392... the Mercedes is up for sale. FOR ME: I had an SRT itch and I tried to scratch it with an SLK. After 3 months, I decided that it didn't work. Nothing worse than an itch ya can't scratch.:surprise: So don't be like me, trying to buy something that just won't do. You'll find yourself drooling every time you see the car you REALLY wanted.
Gary

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Check to see if it was leased. I won't buy a leased used car. It is like a car rental where they just don't give a flying F.
Chances are the previous owner treated the car like a prostitute. Imagine you marrying a girl that was a former hooker and you did not know it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
go buy what you want. low miles means they did not drive it. Mine has 12k on it and its only 4 years old. Not a thing wrong with it. I am almost looking to buy a early model SRT that has a blown engine and no warranty so I can do what I want with it.

If you are good with tools, a broken one can actually be more fun since it's A) cheaper and B) no warranty; you have a solid chassis to build on.

Just get a good carfax and have a sharp mechanic run codes. If you want buy a warranty; but honestly it's just a feel good addition. these are tough cars and can take abuse, that's why they are not cheap. SRT's have the good stuff you want.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Got my 2011 GWE SRT8 in Missouri 1 year ago.
She had 25K miles on her; and the original tires had another year of wear left.
I got her for $32.5K.
Not a single issue so far.
:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just wish I had time to put miles on my '15 SRT. Its sitting at 4400. I have a take home vehicle from work and lots to do on the weekends at home.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts