Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what could be happening? I got my 17 Scat A8 back in january with 9k miles. About 1k miles ago, I installed a K&N drop in filter. MPG has gotten WAY better, but just over the last week the car has developed an idle stumble when its in gear. Doesnt happen when its cold. But by the time the car starts to warm up, when stopping at stop lights sitting on the brake, it stumbles slightly. Feels like someone is in the back of the car jumping around. This is new. Never happened before. Could this be a dirty IAT since installing the oiled filter?? I was going to try and clean it later. No CEL on either. So taking it to the dealer will most likely end if them saying they "cant reproduce it". I have learned over the last 20 years of owning cars that you cant expect them to do anything unless the problem is so crystal clear.

Anyway, anyone else have this happen? Know what it could be?

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
My 16 SRT does it as well. Check your intake mainfold bolts to see if they are loose. Torque to 105 inch lbs I believe. Tighten mine and some of the stumble went away. I've also heard that the 392 just stumbles.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 16 SRT does it as well. Check your intake mainfold bolts to see if they are loose. Torque to 105 inch lbs I believe. Tighten mine and some of the stumble went away. I've also heard that the 392 just stumbles.

Mopar or No Car
I've been reading that too. But this is a new condition that just started happening. I've been driving the car for almost 6 months and its been rock steady. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check those bolts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is a symptom of the 392. took it to the dealer they called SRT. If you shut the A/C off the car will stumble intermittently. I have reproduced it for them, there answer is the engine is operating between normal perimeters. I believe the motor from the factory idles to low during certain times, very damp or humid conditions. If you turn the a/c on the motor rpms go up slightly and the stumbling stops. SRT states there is no adjustment for idle speed it is determined buy the ECM. Mine did it right from the factory. I opened a ticket on it and I am hoping a future software update may fix it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a symptom of the 392. took it to the dealer they called SRT. If you shut the A/C off the car will stumble intermittently. I have reproduced it for them, there answer is the engine is operating between normal perimeters. I believe the motor from the factory idles to low during certain times, very damp or humid conditions. If you turn the a/c on the motor rpms go up slightly and the stumbling stops. SRT states there is no adjustment for idle speed it is determined buy the ECM. Mine did it right from the factory. I opened a ticket on it and I am hoping a future software update may fix it.
Thanks for the info. This is not whats happening on mine. I dont really use the AC. Mine is just anytime once warmed up. You come to a stop at a light and everything is fine. While already stopped and idle settled, the car will wiggle a tad every few seconds. Its not something that happens over and over. Its intermittent, and varies in intensity. Its not normal. And as I said, just started happening a few days ago. I immediately thought it was a dirty IAT from the K&N that I installed a few weeks ago. I will check both that and the intake bolts. I bet its the bolts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just to follow up, I did both the IAT cleaning and intake bolts at the same time. Probably should not have. But it seems to be better. There is still a small wiggle at idle, but not full hot anymore. Now its happening when its still warming up. But once hot/heat soaked, its rock solid. Im betting it was the bolts for the intake. They all took one turn and I want not all the way to the tq spec. The intake was hot and I did not want to tq them until it was cold, but I wanted to try it. So tomorrow I will wait until the morning and completely tq them. Hopefully this solves it completely. But its 70% better at this point. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts