Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thoughts? If you had the $$, which would u do?
I think Scat Pack 3 only offers... 58HP, 47TQ?

A bolt-on SC like the Edelbrock or Magnusson on the 5.7 will easily add 100HP/100TQ with safe boost levels. For the money, definitely, definitely, definitely supercharger!

Reactions: rghoskins

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
SC

I think 6 psi boost gets approx. 120 HP. A safe 8 psi gets approx. 140 HP. Add drop in pistons and you are good for 11-12 psi (200 HP)

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
You could add a "Maggie" at 8 psi boost....

....to an STP equipped RT, and call it done. It would beat my SRT in acceleration, HP and Q. It would handle comparably (like Sport Mode Off). You would not need exhaust, headers, (although that would be great).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya that's what I figured. Though I was reading that say a twin turbo or even single turbo charger setup is actually better than a supercharger as it has higher hp potential at higher speeds. Any thoughts on that one? By the way, what's an "STP?" Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Turbos cost big $$$

...and not many people do it, so turbo tuning expertise is not common. You could have issues. Turbos are complicated. They need lots of additional "plumbing" and rigging. A supercharger is simply placed on top of your motor. It can have instant power/Q. Forget the turbo. Save your $$$.

STP adds SRT Sway bars, steering gear, 20 inch wheels (at least on my Blacktop), Bilstein Shocks (pre 2011), and better brake pads. Good deal for $600. You'd be STUPID not to buy it. The car will have the same stance as an SRT. It will handle/stop well enough for a Supercharger Upgrade. If you want an RT, get STP. If performance is not important...get loaded SXT.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
...and not many people do it, so turbo tuning expertise is not common. You could have issues. Turbos are complicated. They need lots of additional "plumbing" and rigging. A supercharger is simply placed on top of your motor. It can have instant power/Q. Forget the turbo. Save your $$$.

STP adds SRT Sway bars, steering gear, 20 inch wheels (at least on my Blacktop), Bilstein Shocks (pre 2011), and better brake pads. Good deal for $600. You'd be STUPID not to buy it. The car will have the same stance as an SRT. It will handle/stop well enough for a Supercharger Upgrade. If you want an RT, get STP. If performance is not important...get loaded SXT.
Did they finally start putting the STP 20mm police package rear sway bars in the SRT's?
If so... good! :thumbsup: They should have used that one from the very start, instead of that 16mm bar.

And another vote for supercharger.... cam & polished heads are nice.... but I'd rather be Blown. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you have the money (hypothetically speaking), I would do a supercharged Scat Pack Challenger R/T. Just to have a unique high performance Challenger R/T.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. For the record, I have a 2014 challenger RT classic with the super track pack (took a minute to figure out that's what STP stood for :) ) I have a magnaflow exhaust on there currently which is my only add on aside from some oracle halo light. Do u know if the power gains between a super charger and turbo charger roughly the same?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
SC for sure!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the replies. For the record, I have a 2014 challenger RT classic with the super track pack (took a minute to figure out that's what STP stood for :) ) I have a magnaflow exhaust on there currently which is my only add on aside from some oracle halo light. Do u know if the power gains between a super charger and turbo charger roughly the same?
A twin turbo can typically produce higher horsepower figures than a supercharger. Turbos can be easily adjusted to change boost pressures and they produce their power up high rather than down low in the RPM range, which is both good and bad. You don't get that immediate kick in the back feeling of extra torque, but you also don't have to worry as much about roasting your tires trying to make a good launch.

But as everyone has said, turbos are trickier to tune and there's not a lot of experience with turbo HEMIs. I believe arrington did a twin turbo for one of our 392 members. So if you go twin turbo, look to arrington for advice.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Turbos really depend on how they are set up as to when they kick in for power. I'd have to argue the point about not feeling it kick in, when the turbos kick in on my twin turbo stealth, you know they've kicked in and they pull to redline, then they drop off in power. The stock turbo set up would boost from 1800 rpm to 4800 then drop off, with tuners and boost controllers and a good exhaust they'll pull hard to 7300 easily.

Usually, there is some lag down low before the boost builds to where you can feel it, but a well tuned engine and turbos matched to the motor correctly they begin to pull as soon as the engine torque off idle starts to ebb. The motor pulls strong without turbos to 2500, and by then the turbos have spooled up and will plant your head against the headrest till well over 120. The twin turbos on the stealth are tiny little buggars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts