Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question about my 2016 scat pack automatic. In sport mode under heavy excelleration I feel a lag or braking feeling between first and second and second and third shifts. Is this normal? It does it with traction control on or off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Have your dealer check it out. My A8 has extremely quick shifts under heavy acceleration/WOT's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not during the shifts.it seems to be after the shifts that I'm feeling the lag for a instant and not during wide open throttle more between 4 to 5000 rpm. The shift itself is lightning quick

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Bring it in. There should be no lag after a shift. Once you are into it there should be no lags. Let us know.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,075 Posts
Agree with the others, that doesn't sound right, I'd have it checked out.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
The transmission has a certain level of torque management built into it, but what you're describing does not sound like that. It may just need a flash update or something like that. Some of the A8 transmissions needed that to get rid of the harsh downshift into 1st gear when stopping. Could just be something as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Maybe it's because the tires are spinning, losing traction because of the awesome torque? Maybe the traction control is kicking in for an instant....

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Bring it in.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
No lag either. Bring it in

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. Car is going to the dealer tomorrow will let you all know the verdict

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions. Car is going to dealer tomorrow. Will let you all know the verdict

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Car is going to dealer tomorrow. Will let you all know the verdict
Good luck! And don't take no guff!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats the reason I don't want to take it to the dealer. They will probably tell me everything checks out fine. That was the reason I joined the forum so I could get opinions from other scat pack owners. I'm new to the present muscle car era. I sold my 60s muscle car to buy the Challenger so I am still learning. Btw could someone explain what the ESC does opposed to the traction control.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 2015 SRT 392 does that, too. It also does it if I am still slightly rolling (1-3 mph) at a stop sign and then give it gas again.

So far, the dealership has flashed the PCM and TCM, wiped the adaptive learning, replaced the valve body and then the entire transmission. It still did it.

Then, I bought a Diablosport PCM, and installed it. It seemed to make a difference. It still did it some, but not as bad. Adding canned tunes didn't seem to help.

I recorded it doing it with my phone while driving, and it really seemed to be more torque management or faulty throttle body, like it wasn't opening much, and then suddenly flipping open. Originally, it seemed like the transmission was slipping, and then suddenly catching, but when I watch the video, and turn the sound way up, the engine seems to hold at a constant RPM, with a sudden jerk, similar to a neutral drop, but the RPMs also seem to be timed at the exact same time, and not building before.

I replaced the throttle body with a new OEM one, and that seemed to make it worse. It may have needed some magic dealership resetting to make the new TB work correctly, or something, so I put the original TB back on.

So, I decided to replace the air filter, because, why not? The one in it looked kind of dirty. The dealership supposedly checked it, but...

The car has 43,000 miles on it, and while I had the TB off, I looked down in the intake, and it was pretty gunky looking. I installed a catch can a few weeks ago, and that may help some with that. Since it was gunky looking, I decided to run some Sea Foam through it, and that seems to have done more for a noticeable difference in throttle response and general driving than anything else that's been done. So, could something about the gunked-up intake cause the active runner thing to malfunction, or respond slowly, and that is causing this issue? Does anyone have a link to a good source that describes how the active runner system works, and maybe I can do some troubleshooting with that?

Thanks in advance for anyone else's insight. Hopefully the OP's problem can be solved with a flash, but in case it isn't, maybe we can figure this crap out.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Thats the reason I don't want to take it to the dealer. They will probably tell me everything checks out fine. That was the reason I joined the forum so I could get opinions from other scat pack owners. I'm new to the present muscle car era. I sold my 60s muscle car to buy the Challenger so I am still learning. Btw could someone explain what the ESC does opposed to the traction control.
Jalopnik has a GREAT article about how all the various electronic stability control systems work, along with videos. Read it all, watch the videos, they are quite educational. Here's the link: http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-abs-esc-and-traction-control-work-513807036

"New cars are confusing. With all the computers, sensors, and gadgets, it may seem like there's some sort of magical witchcraft taking place under the hood. We're here to show you how modern automotive computer control systems work."

Reactions: Dnp1955

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another question I have is under wide open throttle in sport mode is it normal during a shift to hear the loud bang coming from the transmission??. Only does it in sport mode which I use 95% of the time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took the Challenger to the dealer today. There was a update for the transmission that took care of the problem. So far so good. Thanks everyone for the help

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Took the Challenger to the dealer today. There was a update for the transmission that took care of the problem. So far so good. Thanks everyone for the help
Did it fix the loud bang you asked about, too?

Could you do me a favor, and look at your invoice, and see if it tells you what version of the TCM flash that was applied? I'd like to compare to mine, and compare.

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts