Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I know the capacity for the Scats is listed at 7 quarts. I just finished my second oil change. On the first, I put 7qt in and the oil level was way above the "safe" crosshatched area and almost to the bend in the stick. This time I put in 6qt and the oil level is exactly at the top of the "safe" area. So the question is, how much *should* I add?

I realize it's possible that a quart or so remains in the engine and won't drain out, and I don't want to overfill it. On the other hand, if the "safe" area on the stick is a minimum and above it is fine, I will add another quart. Does anybody have the blessed answer from Dodge?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
According to Dodge, 7 qts + filter.

Been doing this for 20k miles with no problems.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I usually put in 6.6 to 6.7 quarts in mine to land just above the crosshatched area on the dipstick, but not the full 7 so I'm not way over full like you experienced. If you are only adding 6 to get there you should let a little more drain out - patience brother! ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually put in 6.6 to 6.7 quarts in mine to land just above the crosshatched area on the dipstick, but not the full 7 so I'm not way overlie you experienced. If you are only adding 6 to get there you should let a little more drain out - patience brother! ;)
Ha, I drained until nothing further came from the pan or the filter attach point. Opened the filler and took out the dipstick to make sure there was no drain vacuum in any part of the system. Whatever would come out, I got out! :)

I guess I will put another quart in and call it good!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Greg,

I pre-fill the oil filter with qt#7

and put 6 in the crankcase, then run the engine.

Check level afterward and top off with the remainder as needed to get to full line.

I don't like starting up an engine with a bone-dry filter and having all that air needing to push through the oil galleries before they get oil supplied.

PS: you can also help "prime" the system by cranking the engine with the accelerator to the floor (before engaging starter) - this shuts of fuel injection as if you flooded and needed to clear the engine.
-once you see oil pressure, then I start the engine.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My Dodge dealer has changed my oil every time and every time I tell them "Do not overfill". Every time when I get it home and check it after sitting a while it's at least a half quart over. I'm due next month and this time I will tell them to give me the "7th" quart to take home. If they refuse I will get the job done somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The good news is that our cars do not seem to mind being a half quart overfull. I've probably done about 30 or so oil changes over the years on these modern Hemis, and a full 7 quarts has always overfilled them a bit. The 6.1 is the same way.

The SRT engineers said back in the day - they did a ton of testing in the 6.1 and they used to talk about it in the chat sessions - that they ran the 6.1 two quarts low and ran the piss out of it, and they ran it one quart overfull and ran the piss out of it, and it was just fine. So we have some leeway with our engines.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I drain it, add 1/2 quart to the filter, then 6 fresh quarts to the engine. I then start it on level ground and check it and usually it's really close or needs just a tad more. Probably have 1/4 quart left in the engine after draining. I've also just tossing in all 7 quarts before and it was slightly over the full line and it was fine.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
6.5 quarts every time.

I drain the car on ramps and then raise the rear to level the car. I always get more out after leveling the car.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
double post

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put 7 qts in, and had the same reading as you, looked high. Never had any problems though. I know many people put about 6.5 qts in, no issues there either. I just keeping checking my oil every week or two out of habit.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
The maximum oil level is set by when the oil level reaches the crankshaft throw. If the oil is above the bottom of the crank, it will become aerated and foam. Foam is not a good lubricant!.

That being said, it is dynamic oil level that is most important. With the engine running, oil is pumped around the system and takes some time to drain back. This changes with engine RPM. Also, you don't really want oil sloshing around and hitting the crankshaft either (acceleration or breaking).

So I would think that a quart over full is most likely safe but one should check the oil for foaming after a high speed run or after breaking hard. If no foam, you should be OK.

I always ran my Barracuda 340 with 6 quarts of oil when racing and all was fine. After 350 runs and 60,000 miles, the engine still had all of its original cross hatching and the bearings were essentially new. I should never have taken it apart.
Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe it isnt the exact capacity and just indicates the number of quarts you will need to have on hand. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I follow the same procedures as others above: draining the car while on ramps to get out as much oil from the pan and filter housing as possible, filling the new filter with .5 quart and putting the rest (6.5q) in the crankcase.

I?ve also been told it?s best to lubricate the rubber seal of the new filter with a bit of oil to help it seal properly in the housing.

Some cars I?ve owned previously liked to ?burn off the top quart? which required checking/topping off the oil level in between changes. But I haven?t found that to be the case with the 6.4 Hemi.

I wonder if running the engine with more oil (e.g., above the fill line on the dipstick) has any affect on or relation to the infamous ?Hemi tick?.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Add me to the list of folks who put .5 quart in the filter and then dump 6 quarts in the crank case. This gets me to the top of the cross hatching on the dipstick every time. I leave the remaining .5 quart in the bottle for the next filter prime during oil changing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't read every reply here, but I assume you are changing out the oil filter, too? That might account for some of the difference if not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
I'm assuming the 392 has a windage tray? A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts