Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Scat Pack and CAI

12K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Rockster 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2020 Challenger Scat Pack. I wanted to install a cold air intake, but after receiving it I realized I can't install it. The Scat Pack has one center hood scoop, and on each side of that are small openings, to allow engine heat to escape. One of these is directly over the air box, meaning that the CAI filter would be exposed to the elements. Even washing the car would get the filter wet. Does anyone have any idea on how one could install a CAI on a Scat? Is there some way to fabricate a cover for the filter? Just curious if anyone has run into this problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 ·
You can have a cone filter (upper air box lid), and a Hellcat lower airbox, and a headlight ram tube, and have it waterproof, and fed from the center scoop on the Scat Pack.

This should answer most all of your questions: Mopar T/A air intake on Scat Pack widebody thoughts

That being said, the stock air box is a CAI, just not an open element cone filter. Check your air temps on the Performance pages on your car and you will see.

DeWFPo

#17 ·
You can have a cone filter (upper air box lid), and a Hellcat lower airbox, and a headlight ram tube, and have it waterproof, and fed from the center scoop on the Scat Pack.

This should answer most all of your questions: Mopar T/A air intake on Scat Pack widebody thoughts

That being said, the stock air box is a CAI, just not an open element cone filter. Check your air temps on the Performance pages on your car and you will see.

DeWFPo
I'm the one that started that thread and did end up installing the kit. It works rather well. That being said the most I got out of it is 2 things. A little better throttle response. Before I installed it there was an ever so slight hesitation when giving it gas. After installing it that is now gone. The other thing is the engine is now cleaner withe the scoop being functional. I like it but would never buy it for the prices i see online.

#7 ·
I have added the Hellcat Headlamp Intake Tube and MOPAR CAI intake to my 2020 SP WB (SRT Hood) and she typically runs 5 degrees above ambient on my IAT.

This morning it was 30 degrees ambient, and on the highway (70 mph) my IAT was 33 degrees.

#6 ·

A Guy

Reactions: WVPawPaw
#9 ·
Just monitored IAT vs. ambient air tempeture of my 2020 Scat Padk. The IAT was soon after engine start 4 degrees over ambient. After running some errands snd driving on surface streets it was 10F to 12F over ambient.

I have to note this is with the coolant temperature running at 200F or a bit higher. Going to be hard to lower IAT when the intake system is "bathed" with 200F+ hot air from the radiator.

As I have noted warmer intake air promotes better combustion and thus better fuel economy. Cleaner combustion means less engine deposists and reduced oil contamination. All good things.

Buy lottery tickets. You will have the same success but the potential payoff is better.

#15 · (Edited)
It adds "noise" outside of the vehicle. If you stand near the drivers side heat extractor where the filter is, you can hear the air velocity through the throttle body/ intake system.
Neither by buddy or myself have heard any difference. It was one of the things I checked after install. If there is a difference it's very minute.

Reactions: WVPawPaw
#20 ·
The stock system does run warmer but I have only seen 70 degrees above sitting in traffic. The hellcat lower box dropped that only by a couple of degrees but when moving the system recovered quicker. The T/A intake is about the same but it improved throttle response for me. Only very slightly but enough I could notice it. It probably recovers the fastest due to both the headlight opening and the hood scoop being functional. On the highway intake temp stays 2 To 3 degrees above ambient outside temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.