Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the corona virus economic slowdown, dealers here in the Houston area are offering really good deals on new cars. There is a base model 2020 Scat Pack - automatic transmission is only option - for $29.5K from MSRP of $42K. That's actually less than many of the used choices in the area, although most of the used models do have different packages. The VIN for the $29.5K model is 2C3CDZFJ4LH139185 if you want to check out window sticker.

I'm new to the Challenger scene and was curious to hear if you feel there are any options and packages that are must haves. My wife wants to drive this one, so it will have to be automatic and from what I've seen and read about the 8 speed, am perfectly happy with that. I would really like the Shaker model, and the lowest priced one at the moment is $44K from a $52K MSRP.

I'd also be interested to hear if you bought the base and felt you missed some things, or if you bought a fully optioned model and later figured you didn't need some of the items.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Id get one with every option you want and can afford. My is loaded and I love every option it has. That 29k deal on the base scat sounds pretty sweet, and i could have gotten a cheaper one than i did, but i knew every time i drove it i would have that "i wish i had got the shaker" feeling cause the shaker is what i really wanted over anything else. If i was you and could afford the shaker at 44k from a 52k sticker price that sounds like a good deal also. Get the shaker if thats what you want, i promise you wont regret it one single bit. Especially if its got all the options, and heated and cooled seats, your wife will really enjoy keeping her bum cool in the summer.

·
Registered
14,301 Posts
When I was younger I would have wanted cloth seats and minimal options but those days are gone! Give me a loaded up car with the A8 as I don't want to regret not getting a certain option later. Plus when you go to sell, nobody wants a stripped down car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Due to the corona virus economic slowdown, dealers here in the Houston area are offering really good deals on new cars. There is a base model 2020 Scat Pack - automatic transmission is only option - for $29.5K from MSRP of $42K. That's actually less than many of the used choices in the area, although most of the used models do have different packages. The VIN for the $29.5K model is 2C3CDZFJ4LH139185 if you want to check out window sticker.

I'm new to the Challenger scene and was curious to hear if you feel there are any options and packages that are must haves. My wife wants to drive this one, so it will have to be automatic and from what I've seen and read about the 8 speed, am perfectly happy with that. I would really like the Shaker model, and the lowest priced one at the moment is $44K from a $52K MSRP.

I'd also be interested to hear if you bought the base and felt you missed some things, or if you bought a fully optioned model and later figured you didn't need some of the items.
I ordered my '16 with virtually no options. Only factory added the WRT wheels and the Modern R/T Hood Stripe.

The only thing I missed out on was a bunch of options/packages that I could care less about, and didn't want.

Totally pleased with my factory "stripper."

41577.jpg
60562.jpg
44937.jpg

Added tinted windows and side TA style side stripes.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
Beware of prices that sound too good to be true....they usually are just that. Lots of possible rebates are likely included in a price that low...rebates you may not qualify for. Dealers want you in their presence so you will get new car smell fever. I also echo what has been said. When buying a vehicle like this, settling will not make you happy in the long term. Buy the one that speaks to you. You’ll find it.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack. 6 speed manual.
238 Posts
Check out the car thoroughly, under, inside, under hood. That is a great price, just don't pay dealer add-ons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Driver convience package is a must. These cars are hard to see out of so blind spot monitors help alot and the HID headlights really light up stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
175 Posts
Driver convience package is a must. These cars are hard to see out of so blind spot monitors help alot and the HID headlights really light up stuff.
Totally agree this is one option that I would recommend the HID headlights are worlds better than factory standard. For me a must have option oh and widebody of course but that’s just my preference. The aggressive look is totally awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
Driver's convenience group would be the #1 package

the other thing you may want to do is add leather interior - dealers have package deals for Katzkin.

Most folks don't care for the standard houndstooth cloth interior as much - the Plus Package is the upgrade that gets Alcantara / leather trim seats, adds vented seat feature

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
175 Posts
Driver's convenience group would be the #1 package

the other thing you may want to do is add leather interior - dealers have package deals for Katzkin.

Most folks don't care for the standard houndstooth cloth interior as much - the Plus Package is the upgrade that gets Alcantara / leather trim seats, adds vented seat feature
Make no mistake I love leather seats, I have black leather in my Subi, however when the summer rolls around here in the south I wish I had the cloth seats like I do in my challenger. When the sun beats down and it’s 105 in the shade the black leather seats are like sitting on a hot plate :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14,301 Posts
Make no mistake I love leather seats, I have black leather in my Subi, however when the summer rolls around here in the south I wish I had the cloth seats like I do in my challenger. When the sun beats down and it’s 105 in the shade the black leather seats are like sitting on a hot plate
That's why I got the alcantara and that's what you get with the plus package, way nicer than the base cloth but not hot and sticky like leather although the ventilated seats makes the leather seats more livable down south.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,619 Posts
Mine is fully loaded, sticker was stickered at over $55K. I would not get one without most of it, but essentials are Drivers COnvenienvce, 8.4 with Android Auto, heated/cooled seats, and probably the A8 which is really like $600 on a new car considering gas guzzler tax. Personally, I have always wanted the Tech with adaptive cruise, I use it ALL the time, I love it, and the rain sense, but it is expensive with A8 and Adaptive Cruise, I wouldn't bother with M6 for just the Rain Sense. With SHAKER, Dynamics, Sunroof, Nav, Scat Pack Appearance, HK Audio there is a lot of stuff that just makes it super nice, but I wouldn't call it required.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback everyone - very helpful. All of my other fun cars have been fully optioned premium models so I will probably do the same with the Challenger. I will probably go with a used one to stay in the $30K range and there are a number of cars available here locally in that range.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I cut someone off by accident right out of the dealership. I don't want to rely on electronic accessories to see. I have since adjusted my mirrors out. Even though this car has large blind spots, I can see ok.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm probably the odd one out here, but I disagree on the blind spot monitoring. Adjusting mirrors properly, shoulder checking and safe driving practice is best to rely on. I've daily driven 2 Challengers so far without it, and never needed it. Also, those sensors aren't cheap to replace.

The purpose of the Scat Pack was supposed to be the high performance drivetrain and important stuff without the fluff. If you happen to find a great deal on one that does have a lot of extras, then go for it. But otherwise, don't skip over "Base" cars just because they don't have some options.

I'd also like to point out that the "base" Scat Packs are very well equipped as is. You get the uConnect 8.4, auto/dual climate control. backup cam and park assist already as standard equipment. There really is no base model. So why add expense where you don't need to.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I'm probably the odd one out here, but I disagree on the blind spot monitoring. Adjusting mirrors properly, shoulder checking and safe driving practice is best to rely on. I've daily driven 2 Challengers so far without it, and never needed it. Also, those sensors aren't cheap to replace.

The purpose of the Scat Pack was supposed to be the high performance drivetrain and important stuff without the fluff. If you happen to find a great deal on one that does have a lot of extras, then go for it. But otherwise, don't skip over "Base" cars just because they don't have some options.

I'd also like to point out that the "base" Scat Packs are very well equipped as is. You get the uConnect 8.4, auto/dual climate control. backup cam and park assist already as standard equipment. There really is no base model. So why add expense where you don't need to.
I agree. I'll catch flack, but if you need blind spot monitoring, you shouldn't have 485HP under your hood.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree as well. Do not rely on electronics to assist what you really should be paying attention to.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you really do get that low of a price, you can add the shaker hood and CAI and still have a great deal. Throw in some other accessories as well.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts