Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Maybe a stupid question.

I have brembos on my 2015 scat pack and the rotors and pads badly need replacement. I read a lot about brembos vs powerstop and have decided to give powerstop a try. However, what I am not sure about - is it possible to keep the brembo calipers and change just the rotors and pads for powerstop ones? Or is it necessary to change everything and get also the calipers from powerstop? Thanks a lot!

Adam

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) You can also replace the rotor rings and just use Powerstop pads

You can continue to use your Brembo calipers in any case

A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, thank you for you answers. I live in Europe and the knowledge about US cars is not the best here. I was told by my mechanic it's necessary to replace everything and to possible to combine parts from different brands. I am happy that he was wrong.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yep, aftermarket rotors have no impact on the stock calipers. Before you pull the trigger on Powerstop pads, consider Stop Tech or Akebono too. I tried the Powerstop and was a bit underwhelmed by them. Too much fade and not enough bite for me. Stop Tech “street” pads have all the bite of the OE Brembo pads without the dust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks for recommendation. I will check if those are available. Here in Europe my choices are a little limited unless I want to order the stuff myself in which case I have to pay almost double the purchase price for shipping...

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,433 Posts
I would like to know what pad wears the fastest actually. So that the replaceable pad wears, and leaves my $700 front rotors alone as much as possible. IF that is the stock pads that look like they are made out of highly compressed black dust, and my wheels are negatively charged like a powdercoating booth, then I will stick with them.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
I would like to know what pad wears the fastest actually. So that the replaceable pad wears, and leaves my $700 front rotors alone as much as possible. IF that is the stock pads that look like they are made out of highly compressed black dust, and my wheels are negatively charged like a powdercoating booth, then I will stick with them.
the OEM pads (6 piston) are a very aggressive pad at the expense of rotor service life

they're also very high dust output as well

the aftermarket pads that are the "street" versions (i.e. not all out track only use) will be easier on the rotor wear and low dust.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Any pads with metal in them will obviously wear rotors the most but perform the best when pushed hard.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hello guys,

Maybe a stupid question.

I have brembos on my 2015 scat pack and the rotors and pads badly need replacement. I read a lot about brembos vs powerstop and have decided to give powerstop a try. However, what I am not sure about - is it possible to keep the brembo calipers and change just the rotors and pads for powerstop ones? Or is it necessary to change everything and get also the calipers from powerstop? Thanks a lot!

Adam
I replaced the rotors and pad without any issues. I have the powerstop z26 and drilled slotted rotors.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Yes, stock calipers can be retained. Infact, from your link:

Intended for Street Use: Yes

For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes yes, I know the description says that. It's just my mechanic here said all of it needs to be replaced at once, so I got a little unsure. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,741 Posts
Unless your calipers have a problem, these parts are direct replacement parts, and using stock calipers is normal

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts