Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Scat Pack Plus wide body, A8
374 Posts
That’s generally all we have around Missouri.

No issues with my 2020 SPWB…

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
297 Posts
Mine ran fine on 91. Never did any dyno runs or 1/4 mile runs, but always felt strong. I did run 89 once because that was all that was available in the middle of nowhere USA. I was cruising on the highway and making miles so even that seemed ok.

·
Premium Member
8,193 Posts
My 21' Scat runs it's best on 93 non-ethanol but runs fine on 93 E-10.
If you can get 91 non-ethanol you will have no problems.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,508 Posts
Was looking at some scat packs lately, noticed they need 93 octane, wondering how they run on 91, thats the highest i can get in my area.

Rich
Where did you see the Scat Packs need 93 octane? My 2020 Scat Pack owners manual has this:

This engine is designed to meet all emission regulations, provide optimal fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Premium” gasoline having a posted octane number of 91 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline is required for this engine.

Mostly my 2020 has been fed a diet of 91 ethanol free gasoline but I have filled up the tank a couple of times with 91 with 10% ethanol and noticed no difference, good or bad. I drove a number of high performance cars -- including a 2018 Hellcat -- burning CA 91 with 10% ethanol with no problems/issues.

Unless the Scat Packs you are looking at have been mod'd or the new ones (2021...) have had something changed to where the factory believes the engine now needs 93 the car should not require 93. That the above section quoted from the manual has "The use of 91 or higher octane "Premium" gasoline is required for this engine" suggests the engine might (might) benefit from 93 the engine is claimed to provide optimal fuel economy and performance with using a "high-quality" 91 gasoline. Thus if 93 was not available where I live I would not sweat its absence.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,285 Posts
For normal driving 91 octane should be adequate. The ECU will monitor for knock and retard the timing to protect the engine if knock occurs. Each car is different and gasoline quality varies from one area to another so if you are making trips to Mexico you may want to log data and monitor for KR then assess your fuel needs.

·
Premium Member
8,193 Posts
How do the prices of 93 then compare to the prices of 91 with and without ethanol?
Not sure because only the discount places sell 91 and I won't buy it.
But I think in general the 91 is 10-20 cents less.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.