Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a scat pack in the near future, and I have a question about the handling. I often run my car through the mountains (Highway 9) and I am wondering if the Scat Pack runs good on mountain turns?

Do any current Scat Pack owners drive a lot in the hills? And if so, do you have any aftermarket parts that makes it easier?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Get an engine and rear strut tower brace put in - you notice a big difference in handling. Have some really nice winding roads here in MI - not Mountain roads but very windy, these cars handle a lot better than people think. If you just add those two pieces you'll notice a much more stabilized car and so much less roll in turns. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
The other mod I'd recommend is switching over the 275/40 tires over the OEM 245/45.

Unless you're ordering / buying one with the Dynamics Package (6 piston brakes, 9.5" wheel) then it will have that size as part of the package.

Another item: the Goodyear F1s (3 season tire) if you're a year round driver - below 40* it is not recommended to drive on those tires [they turn rock hard in winter temps and have little grip in those conditions]. Tread life is substantially less for F1s

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go back and read reviews when the 2015 came out. Most said while heavier and not a sports car, it handles surprisingly well. I wouldn't let it's heft deter you.

Best thing to do--go test drive one.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I've had my '16 SP A8 on Rocky Mountain trips three times. An absolute blast through the state.

Hit Rabbits Ears Pass, Gore, Rocky Mountain National Park, and numerous other places. Great road car and mountain driving car.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another item: the Goodyear F1s (3 season tire) if you're a year round driver - below 40* it is not recommended to drive on those tires [they turn rock hard in winter temps and have little grip in those conditions].
Goodyear is not kidding calling these 3 season tires. I was caught in a snow squall up north bringing my R/T home to Florida a few months ago. :surprise:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Get an engine and rear strut tower brace put in - you notice a big difference in handling. Have some really nice winding roads here in MI - not Mountain roads but very windy, these cars handle a lot better than people think. If you just add those two pieces you'll notice a much more stabilized car and so much less roll in turns. Good luck.
No you wont...LOL. Dont waste your money on those braces. There is NO WAY you will feel a difference. Period. Now tires on the other hand, are a game changer. Get rid of the stockers and get some ultra high performance summer tires if you are not DDing through a winter. That will make the car stick so well. And some lowering springs will help a bunch too with body roll. But honestly for being as heavy as it is, there is not much body roll I can tell. 17 SCAT a8.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The so-called poor handling of our cars is greatly overstated. They do take a little time to get a feel for though...

·
Registered
716 Posts
No you wont...LOL. Dont waste your money on those braces. There is NO WAY you will feel a difference. Period. Now tires on the other hand, are a game changer. Get rid of the stockers and get some ultra high performance summer tires if you are not DDing through a winter. That will make the car stick so well. And some lowering springs will help a bunch too with body roll. But honestly for being as heavy as it is, there is not much body roll I can tell. 17 SCAT a8.
I do have all the other stuff to go along with it. But whatever you say ... cheers :wink3:

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I don't get why anyone would think a Challenger wouldn't be a good handling car in the mountains. I don't even understand why it would be a question. Why do people get the idea that a Challenger is some monstrously huge behemoth of a car that would wallow off the road in a curve? For one thing, driving in the mountains has it's limits like any other public highway. It's not a race track and there's always other traffic to get all in your way when you're wanting to go a little faster. How fast can one expect to drive in the mountains to be concerned about how well the Challenger will handle curves?

It seems that, for anyone who's never driven one, the Challenger must appear to be big and scary! If somebody was planning to buy a car for racing on curvy tracks the Challenger wouldn't be the car for that. But, for driving on public roadways, mountains or otherwise, it's not going to handle a lot differently than most other cars.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I added a front strut brace. I have owned several LX cars over the years (300 SRTs and Challenger 392s), and have found that a front strut brace is one of the best mods to significantly improve the handling of our 4,400 lb behemoths. And are relatively easy to install.

I have a variety of mountain, rural and lakeside roads near my house. The Scat Pack is a blast to drive on them, especially in Sport mode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Granted I have the bastard red-headed middle child SRT 392, even in street mode, I love corner carving through the backroads in the Ozarks (northwest arkansas/southwest missouri). These cars are a blast in the corners

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I added a front strut brace. I have owned several LX cars over the years (300 SRTs and Challenger 392s), and have found that a front strut brace is one of the best mods to significantly improve the handling of our 4,400 lb behemoths. And are relatively easy to install.

I have a variety of mountain, rural and lakeside roads near my house. The Scat Pack is a blast to drive on them, especially in Sport mode.
Do you have a rear strut brace? Do you recommend a rear strut brace?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Do you have a rear strut brace? Do you recommend a rear strut brace?
I do not for a few reasons:

1. It is a lot more involved to install than the front brace
  2. It takes up trunk space and blocks the pass-through
  3. I am sure the rear brace stiffens the handling even more, but I don’t think the car really needs it once you stiffen the front

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,972 Posts
Funny, I have read numerous posts from people who have added strut braces, and to a one they all said how it improved the handling. I have read one post from someone who says there is NO WAY you will feel a difference, and is a waste of time. Who shall I believe? Hmmm...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Funny, I have read numerous posts from people who have added strut braces, and to a one they all said how it improved the handling. I have read one post from someone who says there is NO WAY you will feel a difference, and is a waste of time. Who shall I believe? Hmmm...

A Guy
I will assure you that person will feel the difference if he were to remove the brace.

That’s how I became convinced: once I removed the brace from the front of my 300 SRT before selling it.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Concerning front bracing, I had a Mopar on my '10 R/TC and have one on my present SP. The change was considerably more noticeable on the '10 than the SP. I can tell the improvement on the SP, but it is small in comparison to adding it to my R/TC.

IMO, that's because of the SP's suspension with stiffer springs, larger sway bars, Bilstein shocks, and a tighter steering ratio compared to the '10 R/TC.

So yes, they work.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,972 Posts
I will assure you that person will feel the difference if he were to remove the brace.

That’s how I became convinced: once I removed the brace from the front of my 300 SRT before selling it.
download.jpg

A Guy

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
the scat pack handles surprisingly well, better then I thought it would. With that said it is no Camaro or mustang.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts