Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find it.
I just bought my 2017 Scat Pack with the A8 transmission.
I bought a used set of stock 20x9 wheels to mount on some drag radials.
Going with a 275/40/20 tires. looking between the Mickey and the Nitto
I will probably take it to the strip once or twice a year.
I may get stuck in the rain now and again.
Nervous about the Mickey in the rain but will it hook that much better on the street.
I'm going to race it on the street mostly want to be ready at all times.
Thanks
Mike Z.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
Hello All,
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find it.
I just bought my 2017 Scat Pack with the A8 transmission.
I bought a used set of stock 20x9 wheels to mount on some drag radials.
Going with a 275/40/20 tires. looking between the Mickey and the Nitto
Nervous about the Mickey in the rain but will it hook that much better on the street.
Thanks
Mike Z.
I like Mickey Thompson's...I use 305/35-20's at the strip...I drive to and from so they are the ET Street S/S on a 10" rim...They are fine driving but if you have them as a day to day tire, as well as the Nittos, I'd be ready to by a couple sets each year...Probably get only a couple thousand miles before ..........The 9" rims should work on the 275's....Better for larger...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
No...As there has never been a time when it rained during or just after a race...So, I have no idea...Could be exciting...
I like MT's so much I just bought a set of 275/40-20 Street Comps to replace my original Pirelli's...They really are nice...

Now, I know that the 555 Nitto's are a harder compound so you probably would do better for long term daily driving...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Been running the Nitto's about 3 years now. They are good on the street, fair at the track and a bit scarey in the rain. I run them as the best compromise. I believe the Mickeys will be better on the track, but the Nitto's are really good on the street. In the heavy rainy season here I commute in my Caravan.
Tom.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Two summers ago I ran the Nittos, last year the Mickeys. We don't get much rain here, but both saw some rain duty with little to no drama, but considerate driving...honestly I can't think of anything the Nittos did better than the Mickeys. I would get the E/T Street SS all day!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I had the nitto's and have the MT's. I have found the MT's more consistent and faster at the track. The Nitto's did alright in the rain. I would not care to have to use the MT's in the rain but would if I had to. My MT's are definitely wearing faster and I am using them pretty much exclusively at the track. So, IMO the MT is the better track tire and the Nitto's the longer lasting street tire drag radial.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got the Mickeys. On the balance they had 55 and 36 lbs. road force look octagon when spinning. They sent them back and the second set 61 lbs. and 44 lbs. Would have a real wobble with them. We ordered a set of Nitto NT05's. The manager said that mickeys are famous for wobbles and the Nittos are generally better for run out and cheaper too.
I'll check back with how they work out.
Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Keep us posted please. My buddy pulled the Mickey's off his Trans Am. He did not like them AT ALL. But, He went to the Goodyear F-1's?
I love my Nitto's, but just wish I could get anywhere near 10,000 mi's out of them. I am lucky to see 5,000 mi. a pair.
Maybe I will try less jack rabbit starts!! lol NOT!
Tom.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Thanks
Mike Z.
Please stay in Michigan if you're going to race on the street; we don't need any more knuckleheads around here endangering my family and friends

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Don't worry I'll stay in Michigan
did you accidently not log into the prius forum
Hmm
No, bolstering my self-esteem by driving recklessly and racing on public streets isn't something I do; I drive sanely on public roads and save my racing for the strip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, bolstering my self-esteem by driving recklessly and racing on public streets isn't something I do; I drive sanely on public roads and save my racing for the strip
I don't know why you have no relevance to my post other than to but in with no relevance.
I see your tire smoke pic it's cool
Not what I want to do
I will street race in a minute here in the motor city
So what tires do you like better?
Mike
Quit being a knucklehead and mind your own buisness

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,996 Posts
I don't know why you have no relevance to my post other than to but in with no relevance.
I see your tire smoke pic it's cool
Not what I want to do
I will street race in a minute here in the motor city
So what tires do you like better?
Mike
Quit being a knucklehead and mind your own buisness
He is speaking wisely, thus the knucklehead would be another...

A Guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts