Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a Very Long Time since I purchased a new car! I know when I arrive to "Seal the Deal" when it arrives, the dealer will have an array of additional options they will be offering me....extended warrantees, Lo-Jack, and stuff like that. Any advice on what are some things I should get and/or stay away from? Just would like to know in advance what I'm walking in to!
Thanks for any info!
Todd

·
Registered
373 Posts
Depends on how long you plan to keep the car. I just bought a Scat on Sat. Only thing I added to my purchase was the 8 year / 60K mile maxcare warranty with $100.00 deductible. I plan on keeping it for those 8 years and will hit the time limit before the miles.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Been a Very Long Time since I purchased a new car! I know when I arrive to "Seal the Deal" when it arrives, the dealer will have an array of additional options they will be offering me....extended warrantees, Lo-Jack, and stuff like that. Any advice on what are some things I should get and/or stay away from? Just would like to know in advance what I'm walking in to!
Thanks for any info!
Todd
Lo-Jack was sprung on me. Got the price down some, but I would have preferred to not have it installed at all. My 2nd hand info is at some point the Lo-Jack battery "wears out" and this can be a real problem to address.

'course, by the time this happens often the car is not with the original owner but a 2nd or subsequent owner who may not even know Lo-Jack is in the car.

As the first owner of my car I know Lo-Jack is present and I have the paperwork in my Hellcat file at home.

I have no idea where the Lo-Jack system is installed. Maybe the paperwork has a serial number that in some way provides the location of the device if should need attention.

(Just checked the Lo-Jack web site. I may have to "register" the Lo-Jack in my car. Guess I'll have to look over the Lo-Jack stuff tonight after work.)

Anyhow Lo-Jack (or there is another system, which happens to be in my MINI JCW but I don't recall the name of the anti-theft system); some "extended" warranty; paint "treatment"; maybe even "undercoating".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My SPC will not be a daily driver, well maybe a little at first. LOL If I'm lucky it will never see any rain unless I was not watching the weather very well or a storm pops up at a club event, or something like that. I plan on having it a very long time, unless a new one comes out that I can't live without!

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
I get nothing as all are high markup items that rarely if ever pay off. Works for me and I have never missed having any extended warranty or fabric or tire protection or any other crap they've tried to sell me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
I get nothing as all are high markup items that rarely if ever pay off. Works for me and I have never missed having any extended warranty or fabric or tire protection or any other crap they've tried to sell me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The finance guy had the full array of after market warranty, paint protection, and interior protection with all the different levels and prices. If I opted to get their "max" package, it would have made my payment $150.00 more a month over the life of the loan VS. just having the maxcare added to the price of my scat.

·
Super Moderator
12,548 Posts
Agreed on don't buy any of it. Unless you go in with interest in something (like an extended warranty), then you don't need/want it. It's like someone coming to your door and trying to sell you something. How often would you think "I DO want this, why didn't it occur to me before!"

A Guy

·
Registered
449 Posts
I default to ZERO additional add on stuff. But a good deal on an extended warranty I will listen to (you can always get pro-rated refund if you sell the car early)
Also if you live somewhere where wheel damage is common, the tire-wheel packages could be worth peace of mind, but not much else. Any thing added to the car itself, I would ask to be removed before I paid for it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Lo-Jack was sprung on me. Got the price down some, but I would have preferred to not have it installed at all. My 2nd hand info is at some point the Lo-Jack battery "wears out" and this can be a real problem to address.

'course, by the time this happens often the car is not with the original owner but a 2nd or subsequent owner who may not even know Lo-Jack is in the car.

As the first owner of my car I know Lo-Jack is present and I have the paperwork in my Hellcat file at home.

I have no idea where the Lo-Jack system is installed. Maybe the paperwork has a serial number that in some way provides the location of the device if should need attention.

(Just checked the Lo-Jack web site. I may have to "register" the Lo-Jack in my car. Guess I'll have to look over the Lo-Jack stuff tonight after work.)

Anyhow Lo-Jack (or there is another system, which happens to be in my MINI JCW but I don't recall the name of the anti-theft system); some "extended" warranty; paint "treatment"; maybe even "undercoating".
I hate to tell you this....but.....I work in a major urban/suburban area and I don't know of ANY of our police cars now being equipped with a LoJack reader. I did have one installed in my RMP back in 2003-2006 and it only detected ONE car and it was a stolen POS Honda. Ask the LoJack dealer, what police departments are CURRENTLY utilizing their systems.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One thing that hit me by surprise and almost got me to walk out was an arbitration agreement. We're dealing with the least trustworthy people and they want us to an arbitration agreement think long and hard before you go in maybe tell them up front you're not going to sign it some dealers won't sell if you don't sign I'm told. Regarding upsells those prices can be negotiated they have quotas and incentives I remember getting an extended warranty on my first Challenger at a ridiculously low cost that way they got the sale and I got the benefit of the extended warranty at Pennies on the dollar. My car had a pain treatment on it and an upholstery treatment I told him specifically I did not want that and I did not want to pay for it they told me it was already applied and nothing they could do I told him I will probably buy another car then cuz I wanted to do the treatment and upholstery protection myself then they waive the price completely. What they used is okay but not as good as some others on the market but I will worry about that in a year or two. Check your tire pressure some dealers are leaving them at 45 lb also my dealer left the plastic covering on The Back-up Camera I was wondering why it was so blurry. doc fees find out how much they are in advanced I think anything under 400 is okay and don't sweat the small stuff enjoy the car enjoy the experience but to be very cautious in the signing room.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh one other trick I used to do a lot of people don't know about you don't have to buy the extended warranty at time of purchase unless you plan to finance it. One thing I have done in the past is go in later to various dealerships and Shop extended warranties with a service manager. I did that with the GM protection plan on my Monte Carlo SS several years ago. Be very leery on no-name extended warranty plans these ******** out of Florida that don't approve anything they keep changing their name so I can't tell you the companies to avoid but pretty much any company from Florida is a scam good luck

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I always get the tire wheel protection. 5 year plan and what I don't use if I trade before then is refunded back to me.Anything else they try to sell you are better off shopping for your self.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
SunnyS
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing