Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am a new member to this forum. I am in New Zealand. I know this question has already been asked quite a bit! Which car would be the better value for money? 2017 Scat Pack super track pack, 750 miles approx $59,000.00 US$ or a 2015 Hellcat 3600 miles approx $70,000.00 US$ ). Opinions welcome please.....Thank you!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hey guys, I am a new member to this forum. I am in New Zealand. I know this question has already been asked quite a bit! Which car would be the better value for money? 2017 Scat Pack super track pack, 750 miles approx $59,000.00 US$ or a 2015 Hellcat 3600 miles approx $70,000.00 US$ ). Opinions welcome please.....Thank you!
I mean, if you can afford it and aren't afraid of 700hp...

I love me Scat Pack though, so if you just want a big rumbly engine, they'll both blow the doors off +90% of the other cars on the road.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed! The Scat Pack was really nice to drive. Extremely responsive and tight. Really gave me that punch in the chest when I hit the gas from slow speed. I was very impressed. The Hellcat was a different beast. Not as crisp low speed, but when she is woke up...holy hell! So much power for the road with both cars. Both beautiful to drive. It's a hard choice!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You need to figure out what your needs and wants are out of your new car.

The differences between a Scat and a Hellcat are literally night and day, in your case its also a 11k price difference.

You should use :google: and do some homework.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJVIC1, yep they are very different. I have done a lot of research on these cars in the last couple of weeks. Always wanted a Dodge Challenger. I drove these for the first time yesterday. For me I guess, it would be nice to have a 2017 versus a 2015, and less miles is always a plus. And yes, price difference- later model car, with awesome power and so nice to drive, and then an earlier car, with more of that power, and also so nice to drive. I was very taken with the Scat Pack, and slightly scared of the Hellcat lol ( in a good way ). The Hellcat felt a little bit unpredictable, again in a good way - the Scat Pack felt sure of itself, I knew where I was at with it. Also this was in the dry, no wet roads!

·
Registered
959 Posts
$11,000 for over 200hp and other upgrades. The Hellcat is the better value here.

I really don't know why the Scat Pack is priced at $59,000. With every available option a Scat Pack wouldn't be close to $59,000.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oregon Scat - I am in New Zealand, so I did a conversion of the price for NZ dollars. NZ$ Scat Pack is 85,000 and the Hellcat is NZ$ 100,000. Exchange rate is evil. The price difference in NZ$ is actually $15000 grand.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Oregon Scat - I am in New Zealand, so I did a conversion of the price for NZ dollars. NZ$ Scat Pack is 85,000 and the Hellcat is NZ$ 100,000. Exchange rate is evil. The price difference in NZ$ is actually $15000 grand.
That would still make it a very expensive Scat Pack. Here in the US a fully optioned Scat Pack will hit $50,000 and Hellcats are about $70,000.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OregonScat - yes but dealers here need to import them into NZ. Add the price of getting the car to the dock in Cali from wherever the car originally resided, then shipping the car to NZ from the States, on top of that compliance for our roads, Left hand drive permit for NZ roads, registration and warrant of fitness for the road here.....then the dealer for his mark up to make some money...it adds up unfortunately for us here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jim383 - yes they are rather reputable in this country and have imported cars for over 30 years. They do all onsite repairs and warrants for these cars. I can also buy a 3 year mechanical warranty for around 2 grand. Alternatively the car comes with 1 year free warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I came out of a 15 Hellcat and moved to a 18 R/T 392 SCAT Pack Shaker, full load-everything
63k CAD funds
So...Unless you have;
Money to burn
Are drag racing weekends
‘My dog is bigger than your dog’ desire
Save your money and go with R/T
It will still get you into trouble, only about 1.5 seconds behind a Hellcat

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
The Scat would be the better price and the better choice. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, cheaper to run each day, and also cheaper to maintain over the long haul. Should you choose to keep the car for a long time, I think the cost of depreciation would really favor the SP.
Maintenance: front brakes on the Hellcat are the same as my SRT. At least 1600 US dollars to buy 2 rotors. Something you need to be aware of.

Call your insurance man. Find out the diff for insuring the two cars.

That said, can't figure out why the cost of the cars is so close. Here in the states it is NOT... used or new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
garyahouse - Thanks for that info! The cost is so close due to the fact in NZ the year of a car and the mileage of the car, reflects price quite a bit. Hence the Scat Pack is only a 2017 versus the Hellcat a 2015, the Scat pack is around 5000 kms less than the Hellcat. That said - they have dropped the price on the Hellcat for me down to $99,800 NZ$ from $108,000 NZ$, yet they have another Hellcat there, exactly the same except' 1000kms less on the clock and it is White with Black stripes for $108,000 NZ$ non negotiable. Price is reflected in the exchange rate at the time of importing the car to NZ from the States. If the dollar was good at the time, more room to move for negotiation, if not...they won't drop much. The Scat Pack is $86,000 NZ$. They 'might' drop a little bit on that for me, but not much due to the fact it is a 2017.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
garyahouse - Thanks for that info! The cost is so close due to the fact in NZ the year of a car and the mileage of the car, reflects price quite a bit. Hence the Scat Pack is only a 2017 versus the Hellcat a 2015, the Scat pack is around 5000 kms less than the Hellcat. That said - they have dropped the price on the Hellcat for me down to $99,800 NZ$ from $108,000 NZ$, yet they have another Hellcat there, exactly the same except' 1000kms less on the clock and it is White with Black stripes for $108,000 NZ$ non negotiable. Price is reflected in the exchange rate at the time of importing the car to NZ from the States. If the dollar was good at the time, more room to move for negotiation, if not...they won't drop much. The Scat Pack is $86,000 NZ$. They 'might' drop a little bit on that for me, but not much due to the fact it is a 2017.
Having had both the 6.4 and the 6.2 HC no comparison to one another! If you are just wanting something with style to drive around in the Scat will do the job nicely, If you want one of the most powerful muscle cars on the planet, get the Hellcat. The Hellcat is mind blowing!>:)

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Understood: 2015 HC vs 2017 SP. Now the closeness in price makes sense. However, my advice is still the same. The big question is are you willing to pay all the extra money for the extra power? 90 percent of the people who would notice your beautiful challenger won't even know the difference. At the end of the day, it's all about what YOU want. If NZ is anything like the US, you can buy a house of the cost of the HC. However, the house goes UP in value. It's your money, and of course, your decision. My advice is based on how I look at things: I tend to be rather frugal. I bought my SRT for 36k w/17k miles. I chose the SRT because I practically stole it. I would have purchased a 2015 SP had I not run across this deal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
garyahouse - Yes your right about that! in the end it is only a decision I can make, but sometimes the 'voices of reason' (you guys in this case ) can have someone see things from a different perspective, that they may not have been able to before. The price for either of these cars is astronomical by NZ standards. 100 grand would get you in a house for sure! Houses most definitely increase in value for the most part, in certain parts of NZ. I am also rather frugal. Yep! Most people wouldn't know any difference at all between these cars, hell I didn't until 2 weeks ago! I have loved the older Challengers forever, the 70 model. But it is so hard to find them now, that are still original and affordable. frankly there is only 2 older models for sale in ALL of NZ atm. One is the Pink Panther R/T FM3 1970. It is has just dropped to $80,000 NZ$ at a dealer, down from $85,000. It has been for sale for years. Beautiful car, all original. I discovered these later models, did my research and drove them recently, and frankly I am blown away. I would love to have both if I win Lotto! In the meantime I would love to experience one of these new models. As you say, it comes down to the best fit for me, for the price. I would be lying if I didn't like the thought of 'bragging rights' with the HC - but the realistic part of me thinks otherwise. I plan to go back this week and look at both cars closely again and drive each one again...I think I need to, to be honest, I am that undecided!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts