Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys, I’m currently deployed overseas and I’m wanting to buy a Challenger when I get back, I am from Oklahoma and I will be moving to fort Riley Kansas next November. It is a 270 mile trip from Riley to Tulsa ok which is where I’m from, I’m having a very hard time deciding on wether or not to go with an R/T or scat pack based on fuel mileage, I will be driving from fort Riley to Tulsa every weekend I can and I don’t want to spend more than around 400 dollars a month on gas.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
712 Posts
RT, based on your post.

Reactions: jzink0883

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good morning guys, I’m currently deployed overseas and I’m wanting to buy a Challenger when I get back, I am from Oklahoma and I will be moving to fort Riley Kansas next November. It is a 270 mile trip from Riley to Tulsa ok which is where I’m from, I’m having a very hard time deciding on wether or not to go with an R/T or scat pack based on fuel mileage, I will be driving from fort Riley to Tulsa every weekend I can and I don’t want to spend more than around 400 dollars a month on gas.
If you are worried about fuel mileage, get the SXT. You'll average 28-30 mpg on the freeway. The R/T and Scat Pack will net you around 22-24 mpg on the freeway if you get the automatic.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
1st I would like to say sincerely thank you for your service & be safe.

2nd fuel mileage... I really don't think if your looking at v8's for fuel mileage. I pass everything but a gas station lol. That is always the funniest question I get when people ask me about my car (right up there with tread life). If your looking for that I would say get a little beater car to save gas on & when u want to brake out your challanger. Im pretty shore both get about the same plus or minus 1mph so thats not much of a difference. I think I this is more of a preference thing more then a apples to oranges thing. Imo. The cars are both very reliable as well as confterbul for long & or short drives, hp is great (one more then others but still great). Price & what your more confterbul paying is more of a factor then mpg at this point. Ins (for me) was even the same. Good luck & pick the car u want more then what everyone else has or wants u to have.

Thank you again for your service

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you are worried about fuel mileage, get the SXT. You'll average 28-30 mpg on the freeway. The R/T and Scat Pack will net you around 22-24 mpg on the freeway if you get the automatic.
This is true or a GT & AWD. Especially for winter driving. I do about $40+/week in gas but the 1st weekend I filled up 2 times lol. Taking in to consideration performance tires to handle the extra HP per year, high octane fuel over the cheap stuff, Maintenance as well ($100 on average for oil changes), car payments & insurance then for your commute things may look pretty interesting. Jam sandwiches could be the offset ( that's when u jam 2 pcs of bread together).

Would i buy my car again...?
YES every single time.

Price is cast to be the boss

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,317 Posts
My Scat Pack with A8 gets 26-27mpg on longer highway trips - cruise set around 70mph. Of course I'm driving with fuel economy in mind, but I doubt an RT would do much better.

Now, around town where there is a lot of stop and go it's more like 17-18mpg if I'm not playing too much.

There really is only one answer to RT vs Scat - and that's Scat Pack if you can afford it and the insurance :cool:

·
Registered
586 Posts
hey fellow Okie,

Get the Sact Pack with the 8speed auto, it has the MDS which helps with gas mileage for those treks from KS to Okla. The MDS will bring you down to 4 cylinders to save fuel.

By the way thanks for your service and welcome home.

Bob Moore Dodge in Tulsa has alot of different color 2020 Scat Packs selling for 33,000 to 35,000

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I’m having a very hard time deciding on wether or not to go with an R/T or scat pack based on fuel mileage, I will be driving from fort Riley to Tulsa every weekend I can and I don’t want to spend more than around 400 dollars a month on gas.
Don't think there is any hard decision to make here as there is almost no difference in highway MPG.

According to the EPA ratings, the 5.7L will get 25 and the 6.4L will do 24.

My own 6.4L will deliver 28 mpg without trouble at 70 mph and nothing wrong with that.

Even Hellcats will turn in about 25 mpg on highway trips.

These cars get some amazing highway economy so I'd say buy the car you really want as the highway fuel economy will all be very similar.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,904 Posts
I got an 2011 SXT getting 30 on 89 octane hwy City i'm avg 25 but since your looking for a little HP id say a R/T would most likely be way to go with an Automatic.
An Automatic MDS would help a lot for Economy as stated by others.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
OK since I saw the above post one thing I didn't take into consideration is that the 6.4L will require premium fuel of at least 91 octane whereas you can run 89 in the 5.7L. So that and the difference in MPG would save you maybe $5 or $6 every tank.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Hi,

I have a Scat running a M6 and get 17mpg around town and got 22mpg on a recent trip to Florida, granted I am not easiest on the go pedal.

Good luck with the decision.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I don’t want to spend more than around 400 dollars a month on gas.
Won't be anywhere near that, at least on the commuting part.

Figure 28 mpg on the R/T at $2.10 per gallon a 540 mile round trip will require 19.3 gallons at a cost of $40.53.

On the Scat Pack say 26 mpg at $2.30 per gallon so 20.8 gallons at a cost of $47.84.

So monthly you'd be looking at $162.12 for the R/T and $191.36 for the Scat Pack.

Rough estimates of course but I'm taking the Scat Pack!!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Won't be anywhere near that, at least on the commuting part.

Figure 28 mpg on the R/T at $2.10 per gallon a 540 mile round trip will require 19.3 gallons at a cost of $40.53.

On the Scat Pack say 26 mpg at $2.30 per gallon so 20.8 gallons at a cost of $47.84.

So monthly you'd be looking at $162.12 for the R/T and $191.36 for the Scat Pack.

Rough estimates of course but I'm taking the Scat Pack!!

Accurate enough to show that fuel mileage is not a good enough reason to choose one over the other.

·
Registered
2019 RT Scat Pack 6MT Sublime Green
177 Posts
Having done both, I can tell you that the fuel economy of RT is scary and that of Scat Pack is scarier :LOL:

Reactions: champ198

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
My Scat Pack with A8 gets 26-27mpg on longer highway trips - cruise set around 70mph. Of course I'm driving with fuel economy in mind, but I doubt an RT would do much better.

Now, around town where there is a lot of stop and go it's more like 17-18mpg if I'm not playing too much.

There really is only one answer to RT vs Scat - and that's Scat Pack if you can afford it and the insurance :cool:
There you go, perfect answer. My best on 100+ miles was 29.5 in hilly central PA. If you are just slow enough that MDS doesn't kick out (varies with hills, but 65-70ish) in 8th gear, it does pretty damn good. My 2018 Scat Pack gets about the same MPG as my 2015 Charger R/T R&T. BUT it is more expensive! A 5.7 Auto is spec'd for 89 or 87 octane, and the 6.4 is spec'd for 91. THAT is the big difference in fuel costs in the log run. It takes the same HP to move the same car the same way, and the same HP uses the same amount of fuel, or reasonably so. Smaller engines have less pumping losses, so are more efficient at moderate throttle openings. With MDS, you basically have a 2.8 or 3.2 liter so less pumping losses, as long as you are able to keep it engaged.
But, short answer, fuel costs!

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
377 Posts
Can confirm that my M6 R/T is capable of 27+ MPG, like mentioned above. I purchased it in Augusta GA, and drove it home to Dallas. During the trip, I filled it up and ran a whole tank through it non-stop at a steady 70 MPH, just to see what it would do. I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest.

No MDS on the stick, but still astounding mileage in my opinion. Sounds like the 6.4 pulls down about the same. But of course, I'll never achieve that mileage again, because I don't drive it that way. More realistic highway mileage for me is around 22-23.

I'd use other criteria to choose between the two like vehicle cost, insurance, desire, etc. It's going to be a virtual wash on fuel consumption. Of course, I didn't even consider fuel consumption when I bought mine.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it but if the gas mileage difference between a 5.7L engine vs. a 6.4L engine driven in a reasonable manner for around 600 miles (round trip) a week is a real concern then I'd have to offer that even the car with the 5.7L engine is probably not really from a cost of operation perspective a good choice.

Based on my experience over the years the gas mileage difference is going to be a couple of mpg, all other things being equal. Say the 5.7L engine averages 25mpg while the 6.4L engine averages 23mpg. (Last summer in 2K miles of highway driving my Hellcat averaged around 22mpg.)

So with the smaller engine in 600 miles round trip (roughly: Maps shows the distance between Ft Riley and Tulsa to be 259 miles) will use 24 gallons of gasoline. The larger engine will use 26 gallons.

That's hardly significant. Not familiar with gas prices in either Ft. Riley or Tulsa but here in Benton County ARK I'm paying $2.25/gallon for 91 (ethanol free). BTW that's up from $2.09 just a week or so ago. Guess gas prices have gone up in anticipation of an increase in the number of people taking to the roads between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

So you are looking at 2 more gallons of gasoline per trip at a cost of say $3.00/gallon or $6 difference per week or $24/month. That can't or shouldn't affect your standard of living in any significant way.

If you evaluate your financial situation and determine that a few dollars more for gas is not significant then buy the car you want. IMHO the Scat Pack is the better choice. I recently traded in my 2018 Hellcat for a new 2020 Scat Pack. The Scat Pack is a great car and while not a Hellcat is in some ways better than a Hellcat.

As an aside my Scat Pack is a manual and does not have MDS. My first Scat Pack -- bought in Dec. 2017 -- was an automatic and had MDS but it seldom was active and I can't say what effect it had or could have had on gas mileage. Frankly to avoid extra complexity and just something else to (possibly) go wrong I wanted a manual with no MDS.

OTOH, if your budget is that tight you can have a much more positive impact by buying a less expensive car -- the biggest expense of owning a car is depreciation so a less expensive car helps reduce that expense -- and one that delivers better gas mileage and in other ways costs less to own and operate.

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
308 Posts
We bought a 2010 RT new. On the highway in the Northeast it would get 27 MPGs at 75 mph. An amazing car, blown away with the performance and longevity of the car. Remember, thats a 5 speed automatic.

A month ago it was hit and totaled. We flew to Colorado to buy its replacement, a 392 Shaker automatic ( 8 speed). The ride home of 1600 plus miles netted us 22 MPGs at an average speed of 75 MPH.
The 392 is a completely different beast, holy smokes!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.