Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '15 manual Scat Pack that I have Autocrossed since I got the car. I have a ton of fun. Do it if you don't.

This last weekend I got the opportunity to drive an auto Hellcat during a fun run. Thought I'd give my impressions of the differences between my car and the auto hellcat.

My car is running a set of Nitto NT05 275/40/20, he is running the stock 275 perreli pzeros.

Breaks
For a short run course like autocross the big breaks on the Hellcat do nothing more than the brembos on the scat. You will not notice any difference in braking power until you get a lot of heat into them. They were no more sharp, or powerful. My assumption here is that the car is limited by tire traction, not the brakes.

Suspension - handling
The track mode is noticeably stiffer in the hellcat than my scat. The car seems a little more balanced to the rear, as I experienced more oversteer than I am accustomed to. This may be explained by my next point. Despite the stiffer suspension, hard turns are still understeer city as this giant boat plows its way pushing out in a turn. The Challenger is heavy, and way balanced to the front. Maybe adding a stiff rear sway bar would help.

Transmission / traction
Up to this point, the hellcat has been pretty on par with my car. The transmission and traction are where things change.

The automatic is terrible. Getting an automatic high power car should be a crime. Driving the hellcat by the throttle was like driving a simulator. There was little feedback, I felt disconnected from the car. Next, 1st gear is a complete joke. Why does this gear even exist in this car?

You cannot touch, and I mean TOUCH the throttle without lighting the rear up. I seriously wonder if something was broken in the car. I could not use the power of the car at all. I am quite used to having a very light touch on the throttle. My scat will light up the rear end like nobody's business. But, with the extra power, and crap tires, it was a joke.

The instant power would be AMAZING, if you would actually use it. Shipping this car without at set of 305s on the rear is a big mistake.

So, in summary. IF you have a scat, and want a hellcat, you're not going to get a car that turns or brakes better (unless you're running longer higher speed race laps). You will need to invest in better tires right away. Like get them before you buy the car.

If you like manuals at all, getting the auto in the hellcat will be very disappointing. I suppose if all you are going to do is slap the pedal down at the strip, this may be preferred, but if you need to control oversteer in a hard turn, the automatic will disconnect you from the car.

Over all the experience was great. I expected it to leave me with the overwhelming desire to get a Hellcat. Surprisingly this was not the case.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I haven't driven one but we had two come out to a local autocross with us and those were the same impressions I got from watching them. They left two burn streaks coming out of a 90° corner going downhill. And they seemed like they pushed a lot more than my SP.

I don't know what all you've done to yours but I did put a bigger rear bar in mine and had an alignment done and that's helped get rid of some of the push on corner entry. Also if you're looking for better brakes I highly recommend the Carbotech Ax6 at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I haven't driven one but we had two come out to a local autocross with us and those were the same impressions I got from watching them. They left two burn streaks coming out of a 90° corner going downhill. And they seemed like they pushed a lot more than my SP.

I don't know what all you've done to yours but I did put a bigger rear bar in mine and had an alignment done and that's helped get rid of some of the push on corner entry. Also if you're looking for better brakes I highly recommend the Carbotech Ax6 at a minimum.

I run mine in F Street, so nothing other than tires and alignment. Not much is adjustable though. Well, almost nothing actually. Shift skip eliminator as well. To compete in CAM C in this car would be crazy. I'd need to take 4 seconds off to be remotely competitive. Power is not the problem. Few CAM C cars run much more power than a scat in our region.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Sounds like a wide-body (they come w/ 20 x 11" wheels and 305s) 'Cat and M6 would be the thing for autocross...

As its often said, suspension and tires are what win on the course, without those dialed in, more power doesn't get the job done

·
Registered
410 Posts
I run in STP. My RAW times are usually in the bottom 25%. Its like every turn is like I'm on ice. It's fun though. Wider tires will be my next thing. Though I think the PAX factor for Challangers isn't low enough. I mean a freaken Shelby GT has a slightly better handicap than a Challenger.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a SP and now have a Hellcat. I never got a chance to do any autocross in my SP. I've done autocross a few times in the Hellcat and it's a boat with no traction. I love the car, but power and the tire combo the car comes with are terrible. I bought some aftermarket summer tires and they aren't much better on the autocross course. I did drive my SP and my Hellcat on a road course. This is where the Hellcat shines. The power coming out of the corners and on the straightaways is pretty mind blowing in the Hellcat. I have a good friend who was in his SP on the same day. He's probably a better driver than me, but I was able to blow his doors off once we got to the straightaway as you would imagine.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A Hellcat needs some room to run, it's not a car for parking lot races. GoKarts and SuperSevens do well there.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This year I cannot keep up with the mustangs. All the mustang guys have gotten RE71r's and there is nothing comparable that will fit my wheels. The Mustangs are consistently 2 seconds faster than me. There is nothing I can do right now to stay in class and be competitive.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This year I cannot keep up with the mustangs. All the mustang guys have gotten RE71r's and there is nothing comparable that will fit my wheels. The Mustangs are consistently 2 seconds faster than me. There is nothing I can do right now to stay in class and be competitive.
Tires make a world of difference. The RE71 should be available in a 285 for 20". Depending how serious you are about it and how much money you want to spend drop down to an 18" wheel and run the BFGs. A buddy just test fit a set of 18x11s wrapped in 335s last week. Needs a small spacer with the offset of those wheels but they clear. He's going to run them at a local event this weekend. Assuming he runs as good as I anticipate that's the route I'm going for next year. Big girls need big shoes. ;)

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
the Bridgestones rock compared to the Nittos we used last year
Luke

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tires make a world of difference. The RE71 should be available in a 285 for 20". Depending how serious you are about it and how much money you want to spend drop down to an 18" wheel and run the BFGs. A buddy just test fit a set of 18x11s wrapped in 335s last week. Needs a small spacer with the offset of those wheels but they clear. He's going to run them at a local event this weekend. Assuming he runs as good as I anticipate that's the route I'm going for next year. Big girls need big shoes. ;)

They were not available in the correct size when I checked this spring. Even had the local firestone check corporate for me to see if they could find some. I believe they have 255's, but no 275s. Next year maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
I haven't autocrossed since the late 70's. I had a 1978 Trans Am, full suspension, 3.73 rear 1970 Ram AirIII 400, but a solid rear axle and 4000 lbs. The rx7s and B210s would eat my lunch. I could whip them in 1/4 mile, and a road course no doubt, but in autocross, they always edged me out. Now Mustangs and Camaros, and even vettes, I could hold my own. In autocross there is a point where more HP is not going to help you obviously. A Guy

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have a '15 manual Scat Pack that I have Autocrossed since I got the car. I have a ton of fun. Do it if you don't.

This last weekend I got the opportunity to drive an auto Hellcat during a fun run. Thought I'd give my impressions of the differences between my car and the auto hellcat.

My car is running a set of Nitto NT05 275/40/20, he is running the stock 275 perreli pzeros.

Breaks
For a short run course like autocross the big breaks on the Hellcat do nothing more than the brembos on the scat. You will not notice any difference in braking power until you get a lot of heat into them. They were no more sharp, or powerful. My assumption here is that the car is limited by tire traction, not the brakes.

Suspension - handling
The track mode is noticeably stiffer in the hellcat than my scat. The car seems a little more balanced to the rear, as I experienced more oversteer than I am accustomed to. This may be explained by my next point. Despite the stiffer suspension, hard turns are still understeer city as this giant boat plows its way pushing out in a turn. The Challenger is heavy, and way balanced to the front. Maybe adding a stiff rear sway bar would help.

Transmission / traction
Up to this point, the hellcat has been pretty on par with my car. The transmission and traction are where things change.

The automatic is terrible. Getting an automatic high power car should be a crime. Driving the hellcat by the throttle was like driving a simulator. There was little feedback, I felt disconnected from the car. Next, 1st gear is a complete joke. Why does this gear even exist in this car?

You cannot touch, and I mean TOUCH the throttle without lighting the rear up. I seriously wonder if something was broken in the car. I could not use the power of the car at all. I am quite used to having a very light touch on the throttle. My scat will light up the rear end like nobody's business. But, with the extra power, and crap tires, it was a joke.

The instant power would be AMAZING, if you would actually use it. Shipping this car without at set of 305s on the rear is a big mistake.

So, in summary. IF you have a scat, and want a hellcat, you're not going to get a car that turns or brakes better (unless you're running longer higher speed race laps). You will need to invest in better tires right away. Like get them before you buy the car.

If you like manuals at all, getting the auto in the hellcat will be very disappointing. I suppose if all you are going to do is slap the pedal down at the strip, this may be preferred, but if you need to control oversteer in a hard turn, the automatic will disconnect you from the car.

Over all the experience was great. I expected it to leave me with the overwhelming desire to get a Hellcat. Surprisingly this was not the case.
Hi, I just want to pull you up here regarding your A8 experience. What you have described sounds to me like you were using it in drive mode and not able to select the gear you desired when you desired. The A8 can be driven in manual mode (it has limits in the interest of self preservation of your engine) and will change quicker and have more ratios available than the M6, it rev matches on down changing and can be used in helping to reduce speed like a manual and changes faster than a manual ever will. I will concede there is (for me) a small disconnect regarding the experience of a manual but with the speed everything happens in these cars and the fact I am not getting any younger I will take the easier faster way from now on, this has been made clear to me by my last manual car experience.
Don't get me wrong I am not anti manuals and went with the A8 for convenience in traffic and the fact I am not as fluent with a manual as I once was and got tired of getting taken advantage of by autos with less power.

Edit: I forgot to mention the option to choose paddle shifters or the auto shifter for manual shifting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts