Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pioneer I have the WB with the 6 piston big front brakes and the wear pattern on the rear is not full. The rear brake pad is the same as the heavily chamfered pictures above. The bias comment makes sense but the WB have the same rear wear issue.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Just checked my '16, and the rear rotors have the full contact wear pattern

28k and still looking good. Plenty of life left.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just a W.A.G. there are 2 different rear pads for the same caliper and rotor based on which front caliper and rotor you have. If you have the 6 piston 15.4" fronts (Hellcat, dynamics,widebodies) then you get the rear pads with more surface area. This is to balance out the larger fronts.
OR they determined that there was some other bias issue with too much rear braking and that was an easy fix.
Rear pads had a J-chamfer added with the AC level release. This is official.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Pioneer I have the WB with the 6 piston big front brakes and the wear pattern on the rear is not full. The rear brake pad is the same as the heavily chamfered pictures above. The bias comment makes sense but the WB have the same rear wear issue.
Yes, in fact this change was done for BR7 and was carried over to BR4 since they use the same pad. So it's kind of your fault in a way ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check my logic:

• If you have the new chamfered pads
  • Then you will have a ridge in your rotor over time
  • Which means, when you change brake pads - you must use the MOPAR pads
  • Because an aftermarket pad without the chamfer, will not seat on a rotor that has that narrow wear pattern and the associated ridge in face of the rotor
Is this accurate?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Check my logic:

• Because an aftermarket pad without the chamfer, will not seat on a rotor that has that narrow wear pattern and the associated ridge in face of the rotor
Is this accurate?
Great points...I've already asked, and from the standpoint of rust/appearance for those who eventually switch to AC from AB pads. When I get an answer I'll pass it along.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
Check my logic:

Is this accurate?
Yes, but only briefly. Any pad wears MUCH faster than the rotor, so at first it will rapidly wear to match the minor contour difference, then will wear normally and other than being visible, it really won't matter.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,376 Posts
OK, so, it seems that they intentionally reduced the surface area. Next, I can only assume it is for a reason (not to save money, that would actually cost money to do). The only reason I can think of is to intentionally reduce rear braking, and the only reason for that is to eliminate rear lockup/loss of control.
OR, based on all of their commercials and other videos, it is to MAKE BURNOUTS EASIER!

Now, ignoring all of that, if they were going to reduce the surface area, why didn't they make the pad a diagonal/parallelogram type thing so it still hit all of the rotor surface, just not with as much pad. That would help cooling and appearance, I would ass-u-me.
Something like this.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
FCA ordered the pad revised for whatever reason, can't be for loss of control as you have ABS and ESC for that. For whoever wants the stock rear pads just order them direct from Brembo, otherwise the PowerStop Z23 or Track Day pads will do you fine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
This was a rolling change implemented in MY19 depending on caliper PN so some 19s may have the older 'flat' (we'll call them) pads, whereas as other 19s+ will have the new chamfered AC pad.

I would suggest if you want the flat pad you get your hands on kit 68144223AB (or AA) while you can. Information will be forthcoming to dealerships to make them aware of the change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This was a rolling change implemented in MY19 depending on caliper PN so some 19s may have the older 'flat' (we'll call them) pads, whereas as other 19s+ will have the new chamfered AC pad.

I would suggest if you want the flat pad you get your hands on kit 68144223AB (or AA) while you can. Information will be forthcoming to dealerships to make them aware of the change.
I tried google, but couldn’t get clarity: what is the difference between ‘AB’ and ‘AA’

·
Registered
516 Posts
The characters at the end of part numbers are release levels, so AB is a newer part compared to an AA level part. It’s called a ‘nik’, done to track changes.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
473 Posts
I noticed this wear pattern today on my 2019 SP. If one were to put on "full sweep" pads, wouldn't the abs take care of any braking issues? This seems very bizarre. They could have easily used a different compound instead of taking a quarter of the pad away and compelling you to buy new rotors at a pad change...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I noticed this wear pattern today on my 2019 SP. If one were to put on "full sweep" pads, wouldn't the abs take care of any braking issues? This seems very bizarre. They could have easily used a different compound instead of taking a quarter of the pad away and compelling you to buy new rotors at a pad change...
My main concern is getting boxed into buying the mopar pads at $200+ per axle vrs powerstop or others at $60 per axle because of a bonkers geometry choice on the pads.
(Or like you said - having to change the rotors as well)

Other than that - if the stopping force is the same as non chamfered, I’m ok with the weird pattern.

But I don’t like getting boxed into consumable parts that cost 3 times more, with no appreciable gain.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
473 Posts
Which make of after market rear pads are close to the oem in braking characteristics that full sweep the rotor? I am considering just replacing the rears with after market ones. I have a 2019 SC.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Which make of after market rear pads are close to the oem in braking characteristics that full sweep the rotor? I am considering just replacing the rears with after market ones. I have a 2019 SC.
Someone else will have to chime in on similar braking characteristics or not. I’m not knowledgeable there. But here’s the Powerstop brand that seems to get mentioned a lot:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
This has to be a cruel joke.. I can assure you that my brakes do not have bias issues. This is from repeated track events. I've been through a few sets of rear oem Brembo pads. I'm now at a point where I'm going to use racing pads on all four corners. However, I love the Brembo pads. They are truly a step above most regular performance pads. I don't mind the dust. I love the "bite" that they have.

I've previously swallowed a hard pill paying their rediculous price (IE: $250) for Brembo oem replacements. Now they want to shave more pad off and not release any sort of update as to why?!

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
PowerStop Track Day pads would be pretty close, these are what Bondurant uses, the rears would be PST-1053.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 97 Posts