Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,371 Posts
As for bite/wear/performance, hopefully I will never know the difference. I feel I drive pretty easy on brakes, I only hauled on them twice and was thoroughly impressed. Now I just want them to last and be there in an emergency. But so far this is all 2019 cars with the cutdown pads, correct? I wonder if there is a TSB hiding out there about it.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack B5 Blue
30 Posts
Its not all 2019's as apparently it was a running change. My '19 Scat Pack which was built in March of '19 does not have the cutdown pads.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
134 Posts
Mine was built in November 2019. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I will. Doesn't make any sense at all.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
129 Posts
I just ordered a set of Z26-1053 pads for my '19 SP WB only have 700 miles on the rotors so far no track or racing yet so hopefully I can avoid any wear ridge that may have started to form already on the rotors. Just feels better for me knowing that the full surface is being used and for $60 its versus the cost of not knowing or waiting for a dealer response I am just going to swap them out and be done with it.
Whew I feel better already :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ordered the Z26 from Summit yesterday, chose these over the Z23 as the higher performance option for a few dollars. Scheduled to arrive on Friday I will plan some time over the weekend to do the swap out and take some pictures for the pad differences and wear pattern before and after.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Same pad material Z23 and Z26, only backing plates are different. Neither is a high performance pad comparable to the stock Brembo pads.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Same pad material Z23 and Z26, only backing plates are different. Neither is a high performance pad comparable to the stock Brembo pads.

I don't need pads yet but am curious what's the difference in the backing plates?

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
I don't need pads yet but am curious what's the difference in the backing plates?
I didn't really notice it on my Z23 but PowerStop says the Z23 has some kind of rubberized coating on the Z23 to make them quieter and more friendly on the street. The Z26 does not have this coating and can tolerate more heat build up so that's probably why they call the Z26 more performance oriented than the Z23.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear pads had a J-chamfer added with the AC level release. This is official.
Hey EngiNerd where are you getting the info that this is a confirmed change for the AC level pad. Brembos website still shows a full cross section on the part drawing and even lists the AC level pad under that drawing.
F3C78A47-FA2C-46F3-BF5A-C57D79E9652E.png
DCED1AE1-2504-4C0C-B575-B32232534FE7.png

Maybe I’ll ask my Brembo rep if he has the updated drawing for the AC part. Although he probably won’t share it with me until it’s a public record since I work for a different OEM.

It bums me out if it is a design change. I would have fought this change tooth and nail if it came to my inbox for approval. Even if it does resolve a noise issue I would have sent the R and D team back to the drawing board on this one. IMO if this change was done to resolve a known problem then all they did was trade one defect for another. I understand sometimes you have to compromise so maybe I just don’t have all the details.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,588 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pioneer from an engineering drawing method perspective the hatched area indicates a drawing cut away view, this section of the pad has been cut away to show more detail of how the brake friction material is molded into the holes in the backing plate. Without redrawing the brake pad in CAD the drawing would look something similar to the marked up image below with the chamfer on the top edge similar to the chamfers on the sides.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its not all 2019's as apparently it was a running change. My '19 Scat Pack which was built in March of '19 does not have the cutdown pads.
Mine was built in November 2019. I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I will. Doesn't make any sense at all.
I can't cover specifics but yes was a running change, phased in at BRAP by caliper PN (thought I mentioned that earlier in this thread, sry if I forgot).

Hey EngiNerd where are you getting the info that this is a confirmed change for the AC level pad. Brembos website still shows a full cross section on the part drawing and even lists the AC level pad under that drawing.
Maybe I’ll ask my Brembo rep if he has the updated drawing for the AC part. Although he probably won’t share it with me until it’s a public record since I work for a different OEM.
The engineers that released the new pad - I don't work for a different OEM ;)

PS - I couldn't say one way or another what's posted on Brembo's site or what they offer.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Pioneer from an engineering drawing method perspective the hatched area indicates a drawing cut away view, this section of the pad has been cut away to show more detail of how the brake friction material is molded into the holes in the backing plate. Without redrawing the brake pad in CAD the drawing would look something similar to the marked up image below with the chamfer on the top edge similar to the chamfers on the sides.

View attachment 986566
Yeah, I gotcha, makes sense. Showing the detail of one of the holes.
I was thinking that was a view from the end of the pad, and if so, it would line up pretty dang close to the area that is cut down.
What is weird to me is, like the line you drew, it is straight across the pad, so it will NOT be straight across the surface of the rotor. The ends of the pad will reach further out on the rotor diameter.
Maybe that is also intentional, causing a "feathering" of the distinct line of pad/no pad. Make sense?
Instead of doing this (yes I know, crooked line, didn't feel like firing up a paint program and doing an arc of a circle...)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Maybe @DodgeCares can contact someone in engineering and get a nice answer to the public?
(FWIW, I think it is great that someone "official" is out there monitoring stuff like this and offering to help at times without jumping in and saying "don't do this to your car")
If it is a safety/performance issue, and we, as a community, are considering aftermarket pads to avoid this, it would be nice to know why Dodge is doing it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a mistake. Someone might have read the drawing incorrectly. While admittedly not an engineer, I cannot imagine any reason whatsoever to eliminate brake swept area.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
...I cannot imagine any reason whatsoever to eliminate brake swept area.
Too much rear braking is DANGEROUS. If they lock, you are spinning, if the fronts lock, you slide dead straight, much easier to recover.
But, it is very odd that the change was made after what 4 years of production? I could see 2-3.
And to answer the question "Isn't that what ABS is for", yes, but... All of the cars with these brakes have the ability to turn off ABS from the dash.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So design the brakes so that they are too effective and then remove brake pad material? No. If so, sad excuse for engineering. A complete afterthought in that case.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts