Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
Hey all, I jumped on here, from the Charger Forums with the same discussion. Sorry for the length, but I wanted to update you all. I have been using the "1053" pads since 2009, on my first Cadillac V; on 3 other cars. I track my cars and wore out the fronts (6-piston #1405 pads like the Dodges) about 3 to 1 for the rears. I replaced front rotors, but never a rear rotor since I kept an eye on the pads. My local dealer can NOT get these reduced area pads, only the normal looking ones. I have handled 15 - 20 sets of these (I have two used sets of Brembos in my garage) and have never seen anything like this; along with my local dealer parts/tech people. I can't buy the reduced pad anywhere either. Since "I" will have to pay for a new rear rotor, wearable item, I already put on another set of normal pads until this gets ironed out. I contacted Brembo twice so far, in mid-December, and haven't gotten an answer back yet. I, along with others, have filed a complaint with NHTSA. This weekend, I will file a complaint with BBB. I doubt that FCA will do anything until they are told to. I bought my Scat Pack new, SPECIFICALLY because it had Brembo rear brakes, so I don't want ANY reduced stopping power. If I go out and buy track pads, does this negate FCA theory of noise/stopping power? Sorry for the vent, but I GM after 20 years because of my local dealer NOT addressing my concerns, and messing things up that weren't messed up from the beginning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't cover specifics but yes was a running change, phased in at BRAP by caliper PN (thought I mentioned that earlier in this thread, sry if I forgot).

The engineers that released the new pad - I don't work for a different OEM ;)

PS - I couldn't say one way or another what's posted on Brembo's site or what they offer.
??‍♂ Wow, I hope they have a really good reason for doing this. This would never have gotten approval from my quality department. Do you know if it is a temporary deviation or a permanent change going forward. I’ve run deviations in the past for minor defects that would not impact the customer visually or functionally to prevent line stoppage or finical burden on suppliers. Once those parts are used up we always go back to the standard part called off by the drawing.

Can you let us know if it is a permanent change. If it’s just temporary for the reasons I listed above it would be nice to know so that I could change my pads now. Rather than waiting and having to replace both pads and rotors because the temporary part is no longer available. At the same time if they have a good explanation for a permanent change I don’t want to switch over to a pad that could cause me problems down the road.

This is a pretty glaring visual defect on an A/B surface on a car marked to enthusiasts. Someone really screwed the pooch here. Mine are already starting to show rust on the outer edge not swept by the pad. I can’t imagine my car will look very good with a big rust ring at the rear wheels.

I understand if you can’t give an explanation on this public form but if the engineers don’t have a really good reason please let them know we are all pissed about it.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
Funny, on the Chargers that got the brake upgrade to the 6-piston fronts, the rears were still normal and contacted the full rotor. The pictures that I saw on their board, only affected late-issue base models.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,441 Posts
Funny, on the Chargers that got the brake upgrade to the 6-piston fronts, the rears were still normal and contacted the full rotor. The pictures that I saw on their board, only affected late-issue base models.
That is what I assumed it would be, that would make total sense. But apparently not, then again, the line assembly guy could always screw up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Scat pack wide body with the 6 piston Brembo brakes. My rear rotors have an area about 1/2inch of non contact area at the outer edge. I figure this is normal. I have had other cars with the same look. The engineers did the calculations and I am sure they are correct. Braking on these cars is excellent. I only have 500 miles on the car but am impressed so far.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
137 Posts
OH, they will work OK, but do you see any advantage to having a good portion of the rotor just spinning in the breeze?

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
ontime, my brakes took over 1000 before they all seated; even the fronts. Can you look at the rear pad to see if it has that severe on the top of the pad? If so, yours could be a first; with the 6-piston fronts that I saw on both boards.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
144 Posts
Ok received my Powerstop pads Friday and put some time in today replacing the factory pads with the Powerstop pads. Took some good pics which I will attach to my post of the factory versus aftermarket pads and yip factory pads have the huge chamfer on the top which prevents the pad from wearing the full surface of the rear brake disk. I also took some pics of the amount of copper slip they added to the factory pads it was a ton more than necessary my assumption is the chamfer was added to prevent brake squeal or noise complaints from customers.
It took only 5 stops to start wearing the full surface of the rotor with the Powerstop pads I feel happier already.
F6BE5097-7BB9-4C79-8DCC-86CBF0935069.jpeg
8AE09ED4-B725-4120-AC55-1E56E79C020F.jpeg
5507C697-68E2-4BD5-A370-712A1A0CBA27.jpeg
0C4AD270-E01A-496E-9C27-D712AAE4D9BB.jpeg

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok received my Powerstop pads Friday and put some time in today replacing the factory pads with the Powerstop pads. Took some good pics which I will attach to my post of the factory versus aftermarket pads and yip factory pads have the huge chamfer on the top which prevents the pad from wearing the full surface of the rear brake disk. I also took some pics of the amount of copper slip they added to the factory pads it was a ton more than necessary my assumption is the chamfer was added to prevent brake squeal or noise complaints from customers.
It took only 5 stops to start wearing the full surface of the rotor with the Powerstop pads I feel happier already.
View attachment 986654 View attachment 986655 View attachment 986656 View attachment 986657
I really have to change mine too. I was just washing my car, and the more I look at the rear rotor wear line on mine, the stupider it looks. Unfortunately I don’t have a good working setup where I live, so going to need to pay someone to do the swap. Sucks.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
The nice thing about true Brembos is that it's a snap to change pads. Jack up each wheel and remove. Pop out two pins, and the pads slide out from the top of the caliper (maybe wiggle a tad to decrease pressure from the piston). Reverse and you're done. Honestly, 30 minutes for both rears.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
144 Posts
Bob I agree removal of the pads is a breeze and takes no time what so ever. The front brake pads would probably be easier to access with the steering however the rear with the active suspension and all are really difficult to get any leverage to knock the pins back in when reassembling the pads. Also I found the new pins that came with my pads to have a much larger pin retainer on the end that led to the end actually bending and flattening from all the hammering. I ended up reusing the brembo factory pins as I only have 700 miles on the brakes so far. Probably not the best decision but as I mentioned the tolerance of the retainer for new pins called for too much hammering in the end. Even with reusing the brembo factory pad pins I still had to do some hammering to seat them correctly, thus made me feel confident they were still usable, however still limited clearance to swing any hammering tool on the rear brake calipers.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
I did this so much, I got a cheap 12 ounce hammer from Menards that's only 6 1/2" long. Works great on the pins.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Easiest brake pad swap I ever did. Maybe cause my car has only 1100 miles on it. I reused the old hardware and lightly greased the backing plate edges as the oem ones were.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
I got a little tube of grease but the stock pads and calipers were dry so I left it off, didn't see any place to grease. Nice thing about these fixed calipers, no sliders to get corroded and stick.

Also the race design of the Brembos for quick changes on pit road sure makes it easy for us too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, it had the copper grease. I applied a very small amount of high-temperature brake caliper grease in the same places that had it. Don't want to get that stuff on the pad surface.

·
Registered
435 Posts
??‍♂ Wow, I hope they have a really good reason for doing this. This would never have gotten approval from my quality department. Do you know if it is a temporary deviation or a permanent change going forward. I’ve run deviations in the past for minor defects that would not impact the customer visually or functionally to prevent line stoppage or finical burden on suppliers. Once those parts are used up we always go back to the standard part called off by the drawing.

Can you let us know if it is a permanent change. If it’s just temporary for the reasons I listed above it would be nice to know so that I could change my pads now. Rather than waiting and having to replace both pads and rotors because the temporary part is no longer available. At the same time if they have a good explanation for a permanent change I don’t want to switch over to a pad that could cause me problems down the road.

This is a pretty glaring visual defect on an A/B surface on a car marked to enthusiasts. Someone really screwed the pooch here. Mine are already starting to show rust on the outer edge not swept by the pad. I can’t imagine my car will look very good with a big rust ring at the rear wheels.

I understand if you can’t give an explanation on this public form but if the engineers don’t have a really good reason please let them know we are all pissed about it.
^ Noted. I have a 20 SP myself so I can certainly understand where you're coming from. It is a 'permanent' change as of now but you never know. It was a revision made to mitigate noise complaints.

People buy performance cars with performance brakes and complain about noise quite often, sales people seldom get into system trade offs/compromises when it comes to NVH (and understandably people often think more $ = better in every way). All the OEMs deal with this when it comes to Brembos, in fact Lexus makes customers sign a form stating they understand performance brakes can make noise/create dust. Porsche actually put a customer video out there. In this case a chamfer was apparently the most effective solution.

I have a 2019 Scat pack wide body with the 6 piston Brembo brakes. My rear rotors have an area about 1/2inch of non contact area at the outer edge. I figure this is normal. I have had other cars with the same look. The engineers did the calculations and I am sure they are correct. Braking on these cars is excellent. I only have 500 miles on the car but am impressed so far.
I would agree and am absolutely confident that the chamfer has no discernible negative impact on brake system performance, durability, etc. otherwise the new pads would not have been released. In spite of some thinking this is some type of defect or 'problem', pad & rotor performance would have been (very thoroughly) validated & vetted.

^Just my personal opinion on the matter but also wanted to make sure some facts are out there. A StarOnline has also been put out for the dealerships/techs.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts