Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
PS - brake suppliers are also facing some change & challenges right now due to the new EPA guidelines on copper content, I doubt the general public is aware of this. I don't think that had anything to do w/this particular change but food for thought while we're on the subject. I know some OEs have already altered pad materials in some applications for early compliance.

(point being - what we don't know could fill a library kind of thing. Personally I try keep that in mind before I armchair quarterback the professionals who design & release systems for a living, but hey that's just me ;))

EPA Copper Free Initiative

·
Registered
430 Posts
My local dealer can NOT get these reduced area pads, only the normal looking ones.
The AC level pads just started going into some MY19s earlier in 2019, they may not have made it into MOPAR stock yet. You can safely use the AB/AA level pads, they are all interchangeable.

Personally I will probably put the earlier 'flat' pads on mine for cosmetic reasons, I don't find the ring very appealing!

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
133 Posts
But with this change comes irregular rotor wear? Not a very well thought out solution. It should not have even been considered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all, I'm the OP from the Charger thread. Question, if this is a rev roll as Enginerd says, which I am NOT arguing, why have so many STARS cases gone unanswered, and why have no service updates been given to the dealer network? These pads are in the wild now, my car was built in 09/19 that was 5 months ago. I would think this kind of change would have been addressed internally by now. The service manager at my local dealer was baffled at this. His exact words when he opened the box of replacement pads were "WTF, that's no bueno". It wasn't until they ordered parts to warranty my rear brakes out that they figured out this was an actual change, and now they have $1000 worth of brakes they may never sell.

Also I have a question, do these brakes come assembled as units with the pads preinstalled from the vendor, or are they assembled on line?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey all, I'm the OP from the Charger thread. Question, if this is a rev roll as Enginerd says, which I am NOT arguing, why have so many STARS cases gone unanswered, and why have no service updates been given to the dealer network?
An informational StarOnline was released late last week (#S2005000002). That's all there's going to be.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
21 Posts
A few years ago, when at the Corvette plant, they pulled the entire Brembo unit from a cart, and slid it over the rotor. They had SO many different options too. Considering the pads have a Brembo number, I'd say they came from Brembo that way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm curious what these bulletins look like. Is there any way to access it online?
Not unless you have access to Service Library. Next time you're at your dealer you could ask them to get you a copy.

It's an FCA document, I will not be posting it.

Thank you
Glad I could help!

·
Super Moderator
15,027 Posts
I wonder if the change in pads was for noise reasons.

I remember my '16s rear would have a momentary squeal when first applying the brakes, then it would stop. I don't notice if any more after more miles were accumulated beyond 15K.

A friend's '16 SP did the same - when we were driving together, I could tell how was on their brakes first by that tell-tale squeal.

I'm going to put Power Stops whenever I need to change the pads - the 4 piston brakes aren't too bad with brake dust - it would be nice to have less dust, especially since that brown Brembo dust shows up on my satin black Scat Pack WR2 wheels.

But I've changed 3 other SRTs over to Power Stops due to the 6 piston brake dust issues those owners had and they've been very happy with the results. The OEM pads are a nightmare for brake dust.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So, honestly I can say that after changing out the front and rear brake pads with the Pwrstop z26 pads and putting a day's worth of driving on them the initial braking with the stock pads is much more aggressive and instant. The aftermarket ones suck by comparison if you are planning on doing panic stop braking. It may be that they require a moderate amount of time to bed in, but I followed the bedding in procedure as instructed. After the pads heat up they work a LOT better. I can only hope that they get better with time.

·
Super Moderator
15,027 Posts
The power stops aren't as 'grabby' like the OEM Brembo pads - that is my observation on the three 6 piston equipped Challengers I've done the swaps on. So the initial feel on application of brakes is different with the new pads

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
128 Posts
It will be a compromise unfortunately the z26 pads are carbon fiber ceramic friction material great if you are looking for less dust, low noise and longer life however the pads have slightly lower coefficient of friction than semi-metallic pads due to the pad friction material compound. Ceramic pads also need slightly more heat in them to provide a good bite and hence feel less grippy when first applied or when used constantly in colder temperatures. Trying to balance all the variables for brake pads is no easy task, no one solution fits all. One other point of note high performance vehicles, such as Ferrari, Lambo and most F1 cars use carbon ceramic rotors and pads.
So far my experience with only replacing my rear pads with z26 I haven't noticed any a big difference in the braking, except for the rear rotor wear pattern which is now looking much more like the front rotor.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spent the $60 and replaced the OE pads with the z26 ones. The Brembo design is simple and straightforward.
I don't like to replace the rotor after one set of pads (unless it is badly warped for some reason).

This situation reminds me a little of my 2008 Honda Accord. Once during the first week, I parked and turned off the engine and listened to the radio while a good song finished. Two minutes was enough to drain the battery. Turns out Honda had used a tiny 1/3 size battery to save weight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
After a few more miles, they are feeling better. I couldn't agree more on the comparison to the stock pads. Looking forward to less dust.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Swapped mine out for Z26 pads. What a pain for such a stupid thing. I had to make special arrangements to visit a friend who had a driveway, who also happened to live close enough to an industrial park, just so I could bed the pads in after install. Even if I just paid a shop to do the swap for me - I had no where near me that would be empty enough to do 10 hard stops in a row without fully stopping the car or hitting a red light.

Got it done though. No difference in brake performance (only did the rears). Looks not stupid now.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts