Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has always annoyed me that my car had no spare from the factory, not even as an option. So I fixed that problem. I bought my temporary donut spare from performancespare.com. It fits in the factory opening nicely. The only thing is that I had to stuff the jack tools on the side there so that they wouldn't move around.

I'm on the road quite a bit for school and other things, and I really don't want to deal with that slime stuff (Which is useless with a blowout) or call a tow truck which would make me late for class or really screw up my trip. Spare tires should just be standard equipment in my opinion, but at least there is a solution.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Does the cover lay down flat over it?

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
Does it fit on the front?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good on ya. Did the same thing!

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cover does lay down flat over it. It's designed to fit the front if you have 4 piston Brembos, though you might be out of luck if you have 6 piston Brembos. This is apparently a new rim design that doesn't require a spacer (Their older one did) to clear the calipers. It looks like a pretty negative offset so it might poke out or look funny if you have to use it, but who cares. It will get you home or to a shop and that's the main thing.

I never saw a $295 spare tire option when I ordered my car. You might be thinking non-Brembo models.

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I never saw a $295 spare tire option when I ordered my car. You might be thinking non-Brembo models.
Correct, spare available with 3.6L or 5.7L engines only.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
Is the jack in the kit an OEM Dodge jack? Or some aftermarket chinese thing?
Do you mind taking some good pics of the components?

·
Super Moderator
14,210 Posts
It has always annoyed me that my car had no spare from the factory, not even as an option. So I fixed that problem. I bought my temporary donut spare from performancespare.com. It fits in the factory opening nicely. The only thing is that I had to stuff the jack tools on the side there so that they wouldn't move around.

I'm on the road quite a bit for school and other things, and I really don't want to deal with that slime stuff (Which is useless with a blowout) or call a tow truck which would make me late for class or really screw up my trip. Spare tires should just be standard equipment in my opinion, but at least there is a solution.
Good information. $299 is a smart investment for someone who drives a lot.

·
Registered
2010 Torred Challerger SRT8
30 Posts
One Solution

I met this guy at MATS (Mopars At The Strip) in Las Vegas. I live in AZ where this guy is and drove over to his place and bought this kit. Tire and rim, jack, etc to replace the big hard foam box under the trunk deck in my '10 Challenger SRT8. Fit just fine. I'm not sure he's still in the business, it's been a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jack kit is made in China, just got mine the other day. Going to test fit this weekend just to be sure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
just a warning the spares 26.5" diameter , is 2" shorter than the stock tire size

if mounted on the rear it will eat up the LSD in the diff , and its likely to cause ABS issues tell the stock size is put back

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cover does lay down flat over it. It's designed to fit the front if you have 4 piston Brembos, though you might be out of luck if you have 6 piston Brembos. This is apparently a new rim design that doesn't require a spacer (Their older one did) to clear the calipers. It looks like a pretty negative offset so it might poke out or look funny if you have to use it, but who cares. It will get you home or to a shop and that's the main thing.

Correct, definitely out of luck with 6 piston Brembos. My kit now collects dust in the garage now that I’ve got the Dynamics package on a newer car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Big Brembos + big tires = spare tire problems.
I have inquiries to both spare tire kit companies asking if they can provide a spare tire that is closer in height to the stock tire's 28.8".
As noted by fuchsia n furious, there is no way that a 2.3" difference is compatible.
Otherwise, perhaps I can purchase a wheel and find the correct height tire.
Either way, it won't go in the HC well because of the sub, but it could fit in the SRT Charger well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
just a warning the spares 26.5" diameter , is 2" shorter than the stock tire size

if mounted on the rear it will eat up the LSD in the diff , and its likely to cause ABS issues tell the stock size is put back

I'm probably gonna get a spare for my scat pack. If u get a flat on the back tire, Put front tire on back and the spare up front to avoid the possible problems. I just feel safer with some kind of spare tire in trunk.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Apparently the manufacturer is not overly concerned with the temporary use of different size tires. And to make things even more questionable, it is on a 2011 AWD Charger R/T.
Standard tires on car: P235/55R19 = 29.18" dia
Factory spare tire: 145/80 x 18" wheel = 27.13" dia

In fact I believe most, if not all, factory provided compact spare tires have a smaller diameter.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
I can assure you that running a different diameter rear tire on each end of a clutch-type limited slip differential will wear-out the clutches inside in short order. It will also overheat and ruin the fluid. Around the block at low speeds might be OK. Down the highway a few miles probably not.

Reactions: tomlaq
1 - 18 of 18 Posts