Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered a new Scat Pack, to save a little on the purchase, I ordered it with the stock radio and no Nav. Figuring with the Car play, I can just use Waze or Google maps when necessary.

I mainly want to hear the roar of the engine, but occasionally listen to some music. After I can save up some money I'm planning on having the system upgraded.

My question is, how bad is the stock radio? Did I make a mistake not ordering one of the upgrades?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
So, I ordered a new Scat Pack, to save a little on the purchase, I ordered it with the stock radio and no Nav. Figuring with the Car play, I can just use Waze or Google maps when necessary.

I mainly want to hear the roar of the engine, but occasionally listen to some music. After I can save up some money I'm planning on having the system upgraded.

My question is, how bad is the stock radio? Did I make a mistake not ordering one of the upgrades?
The base audio head-unit is good enough, it’s the speakers that come with the base audio package that really illustrate what cutting costs on parts’ quality does to a stock system.

They are speakers only in the sense that they will produce audible sounds when fed electricity. Beyond that, you’d have to amp them to get anything approaching decent sounds, but they would quickly distort at high volume of amped, so adding an amp to improve the sound should be followed by a complete speaker upgrade as well.

The only scenario in which the base audio package in its stock form might be okay would be if the driver preferred spoken word audio (e.g. podcasts or sports talk radio) over music of any kind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2019 Scat came with the Alpine. It's part of the Scat Pack Pkg. That's the good news. The bad news is that it stinks. If you like talk radio and treble it's fine. Adjustability couldn't be more basic, base is weak, sound quality poor.

I think you should find out which is system is easiest to upgrade. That I don't have the answer to.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
My 2019 Scat came with the Alpine. It's part of the Scat Pack Pkg. That's the good news. The bad news is that it stinks. If you like talk radio and treble it's fine. Adjustability couldn't be more basic, base is weak, sound quality poor.

I think you should find out which is system is easiest to upgrade. That I don't have the answer to.
If the scats get the alpine system as their base audio, that’s good. That means there is an amp already present, anemic as it might be, which can be bypassed with a PAC adapter and upgraded with an aftermarket amp to power the factory alpine speakers.

The alpine speakers aren’t spectacular, but they are an upgrade from the base audio package at least and will take some watts (~25ish watts RMS?). A decent aftermarket amp could make them sound good enough, but there wound still need to be some low end upgrades made probably, depending on the music tastes of the driver.

A low-profile 8-10” sub mounted under or behind the driver’s seat wound add a little bottom end to the music. A full-sized sub and box would add even more but have higher cost and make the install slightly more involved.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
If the scats get the alpine system as their base audio, that’s good. That means there is an amp already present, anemic as it might be, which can be bypassed with a PAC adapter and upgraded with an aftermarket amp to power the factory alpine speakers.

The alpine speakers aren’t spectacular, but they are an upgrade from the base audio package at least and will take some watts (~25ish watts RMS?). A decent aftermarket amp could make them sound good enough, but there wound still need to be some low end upgrades made probably, depending on the music tastes of the driver.

A low-profile 8-10” sub mounted under or behind the driver’s seat wound add a little bottom end to the music. A full-sized sub and box would add even more but have higher cost and make the install slightly more involved.
Now that I think about it, I believe the factory amp in the alpine systems is pushing around 20w RMS. So if an aftermarket amp were being considered, I would think something in the 40w-50w RMS per channel would be a good upgrade.

Now will the factory alpine speakers handle that much without distorting at high volume? Probably not, but unless the volume is cranked up most of the time, they should be fine with the new amp’s extra power.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that I think about it, I believe the factory amp in the alpine systems is pushing around 20w RMS. So if an aftermarket amp were being considered, I would think something in the 40w-50w RMS per channel would be a good upgrade.

Now will the factory alpine speakers handle that much without distorting at high volume? Probably not, but unless the volume is cranked up most of the time, they should be fine with the new amp’s extra power.
Alpine is an upgrade. So, I doubt there would be an amp.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I’ve owned 2 Challengers with HK and 2 with Alpine. The HK in my 2010 was a completely different system and I liked it. The newer HK I didn’t care for. The base was just way too much. I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to. I’m a heavy metal guy and the Alpine sounds great. Plus it’s a lot cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts