Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news for some but I came across the following regarding release details for the new Challenger Scat Pack stages. As written, they state that the HP increases will be significant.

The Scat Package performance upgrade kits will be available in the Spring of 2014.
5.7L HEMI® Scat Packages

Available for both the 2014 Challenger and Charger. Our Scat Packages offer three levels of significant performance boosts to our already powerful 5.7L HEMI® engine.

Scat Package 1 achieves a significant horsepower boost through three modifications, including a Mopar cold-air intake to provide increased air-flow into the engine, Mopar cat-back exhaust to free up downstream airflow, and an all-new performance calibrated engine controller, optimized to the 5.7-liter HEMI® engine.

Scat Package 2 adds approximately double the horsepower bump and is geared towards the performance enthusiast looking for that competitive edge. In addition to a customized, optimized performance calibration feature tailored for Scat Package 2, a new Mopar performance camshaft works in conjunction with the components of the Scat Package 1 kit to take advantage of improved engine breathing and deliver that additional acceleration advantage.

Scat Package 3 takes aim squarely at the competitive enthusiast who is looking for extreme performance and ultimate bragging rights. Gains of more than three-times that of Scat Package 1 are realized with the customized, optimized performance calibration tailored for Scat Package 3, new Mopar performance CNC-ported cylinder heads, Mopar performance camshaft and Mopar hi-flow headers.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this verbatim what the original press release stated?
It may be, I didn't get it from the original press release though. Like I said, may be old news for some...

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
some of this stuff, doesnt even exist yet.....
Luke

ps, there are many accessories from the 2012 Mopar Challenger brochure that have yet to be made

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
dont remember now, we gave up a long time ago, we used to call performance and accessory hot line once a month over 1/2 dozen accessories and performance parts that we have never seen, a couple were carbon fiber spoiler and accessories, over a year ago, would have to go find my notes
Luke

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Thanks Luke, never knew they were thinking about offering a carbon fiber spoiler.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dont be too excited.....you may be dissapointed

luke
I have to agree with Luke here...and if we just look at what is being offered:

The Scat Package performance upgrade kits will be available in the Spring of 2014.
5.7L HEMI® Scat Packages

Available for both the 2014 Challenger and Charger. Our Scat Packages offer three levels of significant performance boosts to our already powerful 5.7L HEMI® engine.

Scat Package 1 achieves a significant horsepower boost through three modifications, including a Mopar cold-air intake to provide increased air-flow into the engine, Mopar cat-back exhaust to free up downstream airflow, and an all-new performance calibrated engine controller, optimized to the 5.7-liter HEMI® engine.
"Significant Horsepower boost" LMAO! How much horsepower can you really gain from a CAI and exhaust? Realistic figures can't be more than in the 10-20HP range...look what others already got from aftermarket CAI and exhausts! Next to nothing....

Scat Package 2 adds approximately double the horsepower bump and is geared towards the performance enthusiast looking for that competitive edge. In addition to a customized, optimized performance calibration feature tailored for Scat Package 2, a new Mopar performance camshaft works in conjunction with the components of the Scat Package 1 kit to take advantage of improved engine breathing and deliver that additional acceleration advantage.
"Approximately double" the horsepower!? Cam and tune...we've seen 6.4 cam upgrades in the 40 HP range.....

[/I] Scat Package 3 takes aim squarely at the competitive enthusiast who is looking for extreme performance and ultimate bragging rights. Gains of more than three-times that of Scat Package 1 are realized with the customized, optimized performance calibration tailored for Scat Package 3, new Mopar performance CNC-ported cylinder heads, Mopar performance camshaft and Mopar hi-flow headers. [/I]
"Gains of 3x that of SP1"? So I'd imagine around 60HP gains with ported heads, slightly hotter cam, exhaust, hi-flow manifolds and another tune.

So looks like the 5.7 will look something like:

Stock 5.7 = 375HP
5.7 SP-1 = ~390HP
5.7 SP-2 = ~410HP
5.7 SP-3 = ~425HP

....that's about what I'd guess Dodge's new numbers will look like for the new Scat Pack.

Just a guess though....

Reactions: EricG

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
I have to agree with Luke here...and if we just look at what is being offered:

"Significant Horsepower boost" LMAO! How much horsepower can you really gain from a CAI and exhaust? Realistic figures can't be more than in the 10-20HP range...look what others already got from aftermarket CAI and exhausts! Next to nothing....

"Approximately double" the horsepower!? Cam and tune...we've seen 6.4 cam upgrades in the 40 HP range.....

"Gains of 3x that of SP1"? So I'd imagine around 60HP gains with ported heads, slightly hotter cam, exhaust, hi-flow manifolds and another tune.

So looks like the 5.7 will look something like:

Stock 5.7 = 375HP
5.7 SP-1 = ~390HP
5.7 SP-2 = ~410HP
5.7 SP-3 = ~425HP

....that's about what I'd guess Dodge's new numbers will look like for the new Scat Pack.

Just a guess though....
less 15% approximatelly for parasitic loss, so maybe 360 hps at the wheels.....hell with long tubes, high flow cats and a 85mm tbi, tuing, will be awful close to the same thing or better, less invasive and easyer to do for a DIY.....the gen 3 Hemi isnt a small block chevy, complicated engine, not the kind of thing newcomers or basic diy should attempt at removing heads

and in my opinion will be sold as is, with p numbers, which means no warranty and possibly will affect the vehicle warranty as well

people may get sticker shock....wait till you see the pricing....

Luke

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I agree with Luke and Sexy Beas. I think Sexy Beas hit the numbers on the heads. Many of us have CAI, catbacks, and Diablo tunes, and may have 15hp out of it. OK, say 20? Scat Pack 2 doubles that to 40. Scat pack 3 triples it to 60. As Luke mentioned, that will be without a factory warranty and if MOPAR prices are an indication of things to come, you can expect to pay through the nose because it says "MOPAR" on it.:pillepalle:

OP, I think you are getting hyped up for a big letdown, as all of those things are already available via the aftermarket, and most likely for way cheaper (less expensive) than what the Scat Packs will be offered at. You're paying for a bee decal! Same thing goes for the 14 Shaker option. Much ado about nothing. JMHO. Tom

·
Registered
247 Posts
I expect Dodge / Mopar to surprise us on this one..
I'm still going with
at the crank
Call me optimistic ....

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I think those numbers (if that's what they turn out to be around) are pretty substantial without encroaching into SRT territory. I would hope they don't void the warranty though - that would make people like me who paid for the extended warranty on their car be more likely to tear into the engine.

If the Scat Pack options void the warranty I'll probably just end up trading in and trading up for a core.

With so much new stuff about to be unveiled in makes it hard to pick a direction to go in. Scat Pack options, SRT trade up, or wait will the 2015's to be unveiled ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey I have question, maybe you know Luke, in those same articles at Allpar was the section on the Mopar 14 at the end of that was stated that within the factory was a "customizing shop" to add Mopar parts and have them reflected on the window sticker

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
Hey I have question, maybe you know Luke, in those same articles at Allpar was the section on the Mopar 14 at the end of that was stated that within the factory was a "customizing shop" to add Mopar parts and have them reflected on the window sticker

yes, Chrysler tried that for a little while, wasnt very successful, dealers simply didnt want to pay Chrysler to bolts stuff on.....in fact failed so miserably, i was able to buy Katzkins kits for the Wranglers at nealry 50% off the regular price

luke

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Something I havent heard anyone talk about is the tuning. I think its going to be the same deal as the "mopar" versions where Diablo had MORE trouble cracking them. So say you have a dealer installed stage 3 which comes with a new calibrated PCM, you are possibly stuck at that HP since anything past that (blower) would need a custom tune.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So Chrysler encrypted the ECU in order to corner the market with "an all-new performance calibrated engine controller"?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Personally I hope they do offer performance tuned ECMs. I don't like the idea of using a tuner for some reason still. I would rather have a plug and play product offered by the OEM, especially if it maintains the warranty on my car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: workerunit
1 - 20 of 23 Posts