Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
Should be speed limited to 186 mph, will probably run close to 180.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure you would have anywhere practical to get a Scat Pack up to that speed. It might take at least a 2 mile stretch. Most road courses don't have a straight anywhere near that long. I ran my 2015 392 6M at the Arkansas Mile a couple of years ago and my best was 154.6 mph. That's a standing start mile. The car was still pulling in 5th gear but it would take a while, I think, to get it up near 175. An automatic might better that by a couple mph.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is some crazy fool hitting 179 in a Scat Pack on a highway with traffic. smh...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,989 Posts
Electronically speed limited to 175 MPH
I disagree. The 6.4 was originally an SRT engine, like the 6.1, and all SRT engines are not electronically limited. The top speed is determined by the aerodynamic drag on the car. My 2009 SRT, with a 6.1, was not electronically limited and had a top speed of 173 mph.

Our retro-styled Challengers do not have the sleekest body style. In fact, extensive wind tunnel testing was necessary to make the necessary design tweaks, so that the 2008 Challenger would remain stable at high speeds. Check out this designer interview:

Top speed all boils down to a mathematical formula:

The force due to drag goes up with the square of the speed of the moving object. In short, if you want to go twice as fast, you need to overcome four times the force from drag.

FYI. The Hellcat Widebody has a higher speed of 195 mph. because it has 222 more hp. to overcome high speed drag.

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
The early SRT was not limited but the later SRT 392 are, it's 186 but the car won't run that fast so in essence, it's still unlimited.

Hellcat of course not limited but the Demon was, to 168 mph, the rating of the tires.

I bet the Scat Pack 1320 is also limited to 168 mph due to its W speed rated drag radials.

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
See Slidd's post.

@Slidd I'm seeing a lot of posts and articles saying 175. Doesn't bother me, as I will never see that speed. (y)
I was one who didn't think there was any limiter but last year we had a discussion going and somebody posted the screenshots of the stock tune program and it clearly showed a 186 mph speed limiter. Maybe something has changed, don't know.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I was one who didn't think there was any limiter but last year we had a discussion going and somebody posted the screenshots of the stock tune program and it clearly showed a 186 mph speed limiter. Maybe something has changed, don't know.

I'll gladly take your word over unknown sources :)

I "think" I found that post.

Link

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,308 Posts

It is fuel limited to 186 mph at least up to 2017. Have not been able to get my hands on a 2018 or 2019 stock tune.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,308 Posts
Not the pic I found, but I linked one of your other posts above where you listed all the limiters. Thanks for the information. (y)
The link did not work for me...can't click it. But if I reply to your post I can right click "Link" and it takes me here. Weird but par for the coarse with this new site.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could the Challenger Widebody be slower than the standard Challenger?

According to this the 2020 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody is "8 mph lower than the standard Charger Hellcat because of the added drag from the tires and wider fenders."

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
Could the Challenger Widebody be slower than the standard Challenger?
Yeah no doubt. The drag is higher on the Widebody, .398 CD vs .365 so it will be slower on the top end. That might be where that 175 mph top speed came from.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
That might be where that 175 mph top speed came from.

Most of the places I've seen 175 listed go back to 2015 or so. I never payed that much attention to all of the dates.

·
Registered
15,910 Posts
Most of the places I've seen 175 listed go back to 2015 or so. I never payed that much attention to all of the dates.
The SRT 392 in 2015 and 2016 and probably after that, had a published top speed of 182 mph so I assume a standard body Scat Pack will run the same.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts