Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,727 Posts
Info on torque converter posted above, as far as tune, I think unless someone can view the stock tune between the two, Dodge would not be saying ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm selling off my bracket car and going back to racing a street car. Most likely will order an 2020 Challenger. I read all the hype about the 1320 cars being .3 faster and built for racing. Marketing hype? Are they worth the $4k price tag? I could car less about being a tad quicker and won't be using the trans brake or launch control. I would have to order a pair of tires with either car (front street tires for the 1320 and drag radials for the scat). I have seen all the hype but haven't found anyone actually competing in a 1320.

Questions:

Are the tunes the same for both cars?
Are the torque converter specs the same as far as stall speed?
Active suspension is a big question. How much of a benefit is it over a non 1320?
Issues being Dis Qualified for having a "trans brake" in the car in foot break only class?
Are the drive trains the same in both cars?

I did have a 2015 Scat A8 and it was a pretty good bracket car out of the box with drag radials.

I've run at the same track on the same day as several 1320 cars. The biggest difference I saw all weekend was they 60' better. So they defiantly have a different tune, at least torque management wise. Which should help with RTs on the tree. On a day while I struggled to run mid to low 1.6s they were all in the mid to high 1.5s it seemed. I was faster so I'm making more power with my few mods, but it was down track when I would start to pull away. I ran 2-3 mph faster all weekend, but similar ETs either a little quicker or the same.

On the bottle was another story though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going to get mine dynoed in a couple of months once I can make sure I'm not going to get it caked with salt. Need to do some before and after with some mods and some break in miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've run at the same track on the same day as several 1320 cars. The biggest difference I saw all weekend was they 60' better. So they defiantly have a different tune, at least torque management wise. Which should help with RTs on the tree. On a day while I struggled to run mid to low 1.6s they were all in the mid to high 1.5s it seemed. I was faster so I'm making more power with my few mods, but it was down track when I would start to pull away. I ran 2-3 mph faster all weekend, but similar ETs either a little quicker or the same.

On the bottle was another story though.
Just because a 1320 produces a quicker 60' doesn't necessary means it has a quicker RT. The RT is the 6-8 inches the car has to travel forward to allow the rear edge of the front tire to move out of the beam. Possible with the 1320's better weight transfer the suspension is moving more that a Scat Pack and taking more time to move forward out of the beam. I'm also concerned about the more aggressive tune of the faster 1320 cars when the DA changes during a race. Possible the ET swing is larger in the 1320's due to a more aggressive tune? I have over the years de-tuned all of my cars to run a little slower but more predictable. I was cutting high 1.7 - low 1.8 60' on drag radials with my 2015 Scat A8 which most here would say horrible. However the car allowed me to be deadly on the tree and the ET's didn't change much (high to mid 12/s) durning the course of a race..

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,428 Posts
the 1320 is all suspension tweaks and launch software/linelock changes, not "engine tune"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
the 1320 is all suspension tweaks and launch software/linelock changes, not "engine tune"
Fair to say that I would never use the transbrake and most likely not use the line lock. I would save $600 or so skipping the 1320 package and get the Dynamics and Suspension packages. Of save $4k and get a plain old Scat A8.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Fair to say that I would never use the transbrake and most likely not use the line lock. I would save $600 or so skipping the 1320 package and get the Dynamics and Suspension packages. Of save $4k and get a plain old Scat A8.
While I agree 100%, I would still seriously consider one if buying new. Now if they had a 1320 SHAKER, I'd be "All In"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Right now I think that I would go with the Shaker. I haven't found any proof that the 1320 is a better bracket car. Wonder if the 2020 Shaker is available with the RT side stripe?
2020 Granit Scat .jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,727 Posts
The 2020 build site will let you add the Black classic R/T stripe to any color, and the Shaker. The Red or White stripes will remove the Shaker, and only certain colors with both. Whether that's correct, or just the weird build site...

A Guy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I noticed it would delete the hood pins when the rear seat was selected. Then you could scroll back up and add them. A Guy I assume that you fixed my double pictures. Thanks.. A retired IT guy here lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,727 Posts
I can't help it. Fixing wrong quotes, double pictures, etc. Lol

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Challenger
84 Posts
In Drag Mode, the shift points are higher in the 1320 than the Scat, and are scaled specifically for drag racing.

As far as I have learned, the 1320 has a higher stall speed.

The suspension on the 1320 is different than the track suspension in the Scat; it is built specifically for drag racing, and yes, it makes a huge difference. Below is a picture of a 1320 lifting the front wheels off at launch; at the time of this pic, the 1320 was stock except for an LMI intake, brand of drag radial on back, and the skinnies. I haven't seen any pics of any stock Scats lifting the front wheels.

Whether you'd be DQ'd for simply having a tb or not, you'll have to answer for yourself. All I can tell you is I've run almost 20 times and have yet to be able to effectively use the transbrake when staging without missing the light.

The 1320 comes with the HP70 transmission; I'm not sure what the 2019 Scats come with (may be the same).

View attachment 979288
That car runs at Atco NJ, he has the LMIA, skinnies and bigs, and he installed a 3.90 gear in the car. That's what was making this car lift so hard. Suspension helps, but there's plenty of stock Scat Packs doing the same. Add gear, drag pack, catless pipes, and you'll have very similar results.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That car runs at Atco NJ, he has the LMIA, skinnies and bigs, and he installed a 3.90 gear in the car. That's what was making this car lift so hard. Suspension helps, but there's plenty of stock Scat Packs doing the same. Add gear, drag pack, catless pipes, and you'll have very similar results.
Is this car running Street/Pro Points at Atco or T&T "racing" . If they are running points at Atco I would love to chat with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is this car running Street/Pro Points at Atco or T&T "racing" . If they are running points at Atco I would love to chat with them.
To be honest I dont know. I can tell you that once the 3.90 was installed, it had issues with CEL getting thrown, and the car needs to be re-tuned. They tried pulling the fuse for the TCU, but it only lasts for so long. Very strong car, I believe that this is what these cars need. A steeper gear, and a big tire.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,234 Posts
Running pure stock, with no rear seat or passenger seat (as the base 1320 is configured) plus using skinnies, I'm pulling my front wheel. No stock Scat is doing that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Running pure stock, with no rear seat or passenger seat (as the base 1320 is configured) plus using skinnies, I'm pulling my front wheel. No stock Scat is doing that.
View attachment 986940
That's awesome man, nice car but reality is if a Scat Pack had the same suspension it would do the same. They still use the 392 Hemi, same horsepower, just minor minor differences. Biggest isnit came factory with drag oriented suspension, and drag radials.

I bet if someone slapped a set of A2speed drag struts on, drag radials, and skinnies they could do the same.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
View attachment 986940
That looks like a hard launch. Nice job, what was the 60'?

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's awesome man, nice car but reality is if a Scat Pack had the same suspension it would do the same. They still use the 392 Hemi, same horsepower, just minor minor differences. Biggest isnit came factory with drag oriented suspension, and drag radials.

I bet if someone slapped a set of A2speed drag struts on, drag radials, and skinnies they could do the same.
But that's just it. Rather then buying a SCAT and then buying a bunch of parts, installing them and then doing a transmission tune, you can just buy the setup turn key in the 1320.

Grab a set of skinnies, you got two sets of drag radials, go out and have fun.

You also get the improved torque convert and beefed up rear axles. If you put A2speed struts on a SCAT, which may be a better drag setup, you'll lose the dynamic suspension that the 1320 has for the street.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Lifting the front tire on a stock or near stock car is impressive. Interesting that a 3.90 gear swap created errors. From what I have gathered a tune isn't required. It's not a ring and pinion change but replacement of the entire rear assembly. After all the research I still haven't found anything that shows a 1320 is more competitive to bracket race that a Scat Pack, Yes the 1320 comes with stuff but for $4K how much do they help in bracket competition? Picture of Atco is amazing. Been a long while since I was able to park my car in Atco Winners Circle at the end of the day.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts