Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the idea of adding stock type fog lights on my car but it wasn't an option on the Widebody Scat Pack and the opening where they would go isn't round. There is an odd shaped block off grill where the lights would go. It's pretty tough to even get my hand up there to see if there are any mounting surfaces to fit some. There is also the issue of the brake cooling ducts blocking access. Has anyone added fog lights to this model yet? I would want a kit that included a factory style if possible. I can certainly make my own harness being an electrician but I'm not ready to hack up this brand new car. My car is a 2019 PCP widebody Scat Pack.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
I really like the idea of adding stock type fog lights on my car but it wasn't an option on the Widebody Scat Pack and the opening where they would go isn't round. There is an odd shaped block off grill where the lights would go. It's pretty tough to even get my hand up there to see if there are any mounting surfaces to fit some. There is also the issue of the brake cooling ducts blocking access. Has anyone added fog lights to this model yet? I would want a kit that included a factory style if possible. I can certainly make my own harness being an electrician but I'm not ready to hack up this brand new car. My car is a 2019 PCP widebody Scat Pack.
As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing, and they were deleted in favor of more cooling.

I don't even notice mine when I turn them on, so you're not missing out on much.

·
Registered
614 Posts
As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing, and they were deleted in favor of more cooling.

I don't even notice mine when I turn them on, so you're not missing out on much.
I notice mine when there off but mine are led so I get more light around the front

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
I notice mine when there off but mine are led so I get more light around the front

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I mean, if you get aftermarket bulbs, just upgrade your main ones and get them in yellow.

Stock fog lights do nothing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was disappointed when I realized that widebody's don't come with the lights. The fog light kit from MOPAR can be purchased for under $200 and includes lights, new screens for the grill, electrical connections and a new controller switch for the dash. It showed up searching for accessories for my VIN on the website. You can install yourself or have the dealer do so. I don't know why there were deleted, but I am thinking of putting them in. I actually use them driving up and down the central valley in winter so I will probably add them after the summer.

Fog Lights
Part Number: 82214426
Parts Description: Fog Lights, Complete kit, same as production

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
I was disappointed when I realized that widebody's don't come with the lights. The fog light kit from MOPAR can be purchased for under $200 and includes lights, new screens for the grill, electrical connections and a new controller switch for the dash. It showed up searching for accessories for my VIN on the website. You can install yourself or have the dealer do so. I don't know why there were deleted, but I am thinking of putting them in. I actually use them driving up and down the central valley in winter so I will probably add them after the summer.

Fog Lights
Part Number: 82214426
Parts Description: Fog Lights, Complete kit, same as production
Those are for standard-body challenger.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
Hmm-that came up using my VIN. What's the deal?
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure those aren't set up for widebody/hellcat fascia. In the Hellcat/Demon there's an intercooler behind one of the fog lights, and the fascia was designed that way.

If you want more light that badly, you can probably fit an LED bar somewhere behind the grille, or go with my original suggestion and just get more powerful headlights in yellow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure those aren't set up for widebody/hellcat fascia. In the Hellcat/Demon there's an intercooler behind one of the fog lights, and the fascia was designed that way.

If you want more light that badly, you can probably fit an LED bar somewhere behind the grille, or go with my original suggestion and just get more powerful headlights in yellow.
Makes sense why it was deleted in the first place. I'll look into it when the time comes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't "Need" more light and we don't get fog in Las Vegas but I was hoping to add them for the look and prefer LED's. I would prefer a factory option kit with harness but it looks like I will probably just come up with an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
115 Posts
On a rainy night the stock lighting is horrible. My thoughts are that since my scatpack does not have an intercooler I am going to try and install something there. I am thinking about using a 3D printer and make up a bezel or cut out the existing one. Then use the Mopar kit above. Would like to know if anyone else has installed them.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts
On a rainy night the stock lighting is horrible. My thoughts are that since my scatpack does not have an intercooler I am going to try and install something there. I am thinking about using a 3D printer and make up a bezel or cut out the existing one. Then use the Mopar kit above. Would like to know if anyone else has installed them.
Some how or other......I’m not sure if that will be an easy task, given the contours of the fascia on fog light equipped cars.
916C72C4-E3D4-4007-8596-7F52120DB74A.jpeg

·
Registered
258 Posts
On the SPWB the grill fascia doesn't seem to go anywhere. Fog lghts would work with a new replacement grill that accomodated the insert for part # 82214426 . Which I could fabricate those. I do drive through fog often enough and they help. At least, on my '12 charger, they work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A bit late to the party. I have a 50th Anniversary Scat Pack widebody on order and I am retiring my 2009 SRT8. I really like the fog lights on the old car and I just realized the new one doesn't have them. It may be doable to fabricate inserts to support the 82214446 lamps in the widebody facia but the trick will be if the fog light sales code can be added to the car's PCM (since it technically doesn't apply). Per the installation instructions the "vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable the system functionality."
I plan on seeing if the code can be added to my car, onces it arrives some time in March 2020. If the code is programmable fabricating lamp mounts will be worth the effort.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
835 Posts
Actually....those type changes are done through the BCM, and AlfaOBD can make the changes, if you’re familiar with AlfaOBD. Lots of guys that own RAM HD pickups are doing tons of things with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hmmm.

Good info. As long as the car can be "notified" that the accessory is legit making mounts is cake-ish.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the wiring harness is not already there then what will the BCM activate to turn on the lights, even if you add them.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The fog light kit includes a new light switch, lamps, bezels and a wiring harness. Simply changing the switch and adding the harness does not fully "activate" the accessory. The canbus (or whatever it's real name is) also needs to be told the accessory is valid. Goofy I know.

The OEM accessory fog light kit integrates with the headlamp switch and this is where the programming comes in. If you were to add a free-standing setup, like in the old days, with it's own switch, wiring and power source it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am aware about how stuff turns on and off now. Long gone are the days of flicking a switch and something manually happens on the other end but I was not aware they offered this stuff as a complete kit. That makes it pretty nice. I ran into that issue when I added an alarm system to my Javelin that has a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi and all of the supporting wiring and such from the donor truck. I had to trigger the door locks with a grounded resistor tapped into the factory harness. Now the issue with the fog light kit is figuring out how to mount them. I can do that if there is enough room.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Before you tear into the bumper to see if you can fab mounting I would suggest you hook the car up to the appropriate scanner and see if your VIN will allow updating with the accessory fog lamp code. It may or may not since there isn't an official kit for it. I don't know how flexible the modules are. I'd have my dealer check but my new car won't land until March.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts