Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I have a pressing issue I would appreciate any help I can get... I changed my spark plugs in my 2016 Scat Pack 6 speed and now it refuses to start? I had e3 plugs in it and the thing ran crazy great, but it was time to change them out, which was no big deal. After changing the plugs, the car started like normal but then fell on its face. Misfires like crazy? Before you kill the fact I had e3 plugs in it, the car ran GREAT with these plugs for two years prior, so there not the issue....... I have performance distributors coil packs, ported intake manifold, long tube headers, off road mid pipes, 180 thermostat, catch can, hemi fever tuning, under-drive pulley, Jones turbine mufflers. I replaced both left and right fuel pumps, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor,and map sensor. Swapped the stock computer back in the car, no change? I have a Trinity 2 hooked up, and when I try and start the car, I get 4 to 5 degrees of knock and then cylinders 1 and 2 have about 45 plus misfires and the rest of the cylinders have at least 5 to 10 misfires?!!!! I've also tried to swap the fuel pump relays as well as the ASD relays. Checked the fuses. I'm out of ideas??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
430 Posts
Did U break some of the plugs on the install??? Why are U changing the plugs so many times??? Plugs are good for 100K easy.

BTW E3 are junk, no convincing me ever...………….

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Unicorn, I was thinking that also. I'm going to pull them out to take a look. This may convince me your right about them...... The saga continues.... Thanks man.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,786 Posts
Welcome from California ;) Copying this to Challenger Issues & Problems to hopefully get more eyes on it as well

A Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks A Guy. I'm at a complete loss on this guys. After the plug change the car started right up for ten seconds then just dropped into misfire and shake.... Oh by the way Unicorn, plugs in these cars are no where near good for 100K without a catch can. If you don't have one, take a look in your intake. It will be like you poured oil directly in there.... valves and plugs go to junk.... Just saying.... Thanks guys for any kind of help.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
430 Posts
Thanks A Guy. I'm at a complete loss on this guys. After the plug change the car started right up for ten seconds then just dropped into misfire and shake.... Oh by the way Unicorn, plugs in these cars are no where near good for 100K without a catch can. If you don't have one, take a look in your intake. It will be like you poured oil directly in there.... valves and plugs go to junk.... Just saying.... Thanks guys for any kind of help.
Been wrenching since age 10, me thinks I have seen a thing or two when it comes to spark plugs...……………..

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,144 Posts
#1 Check codes
#2 Disconnect battery for a bit and try again.
#3 Pull them all out again I guess. At least with E3s you can't screw up the gap I guess. But yeah, unless you have 200K on that 2016, I don't get changing them multiple times.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,888 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I don't know the answer to your problem but hope you get it figured out and back on the road quickly.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
check all of the coil pack connections to make sure they're on properly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, so I figured out that the car broke a valve spring and bent a push rod on number 4 cylinder, but didn't drop the valve. The way the spring cracked, it held the valve up enough to not contact the piston and detonate the engine. Or at least that cylinder bore and piston. You cant get more lucky than that! So I replaced the valve springs and the thing runs out of its mind. Also replaced all the push rods. So go figure that it would bend a rod and crack a valve on start up after a plug change....? Literally 10 seconds after start up????? Never seen that before..... Last, I totally respect your opinion Unicorn, but I've had really good luck with these plugs... who knows..... I've been wrenching for the same amount of time brother..... Which is why this was so weird....... Thank you for the responses Hal H, Pioneer 4x4, A Guy, 70Barcuda, vpzyck,and Unicorn. Hope I can be of help in the future. Remember, smoke tires daily, its good for the soul, but not for the wallet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts