Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just looking into stroking my 5.7 to a 6.4. I saw these SCAT stroker kits on Summit as well as Ebay for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, they had no reviews on either site. I was curious if anyone has had any experience this them? Good or bad I'd love to hear what ya'll thought of them. Thanks.

This is the kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-1-48507bi/overview/

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Never seen these before and I would want to know the specs and run it by a HEMI engine builder before purchase. $2500 is a lot to pay, and for piece of mind, IMO it is just better to purchase a forged short block 392 from one of the Hemi vendors. With the kit you will have to factor in the machining of the block and labor to install unless you are doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Never seen these before and I would want to know the specs and run it by a HEMI engine builder before purchase. $2500 is a lot to pay, and for piece of mind, IMO it is just better to purchase a forged short block 392 from one of the Hemi vendors. With the kit you will have to factor in the machining of the block and labor to install unless you are doing the work yourself.
I'm going to second what VQ said. It'll be cheaper in the long run to just trade your block in to HHP or Arrington and get a forged short block than buying a stroker kit and getting it installed with all the labor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm gonna have to disagree with the above statements respectfully. After reading what the kit entails, there should be no boring necessary. The pistons are forged replacements with a stock bore. The kit comes with rings, rods, and 4340 forged crank. I have no idea what your mechanical skillset is, so I can't comment on what is cheaper. What I can say is this, if you have the ability to do the work yourself, this is a very good combination. All of the parts necessary to turn your 5.7 into a 392 are there. You would still need to get a cam and custom tuning, but that's something that you will need if you bought a already assembled stroker from Arrington or HHP. Personally I've built engines before, I intend to stroke my 5.7 to a 392, here soon as well. I'm more partial to the Molnar cranks, rods and Mahle pistons, but that is a matter of personal choice. I run a Scat rotating assembly in my stroked 318 to 390 ci small block magnum Dakota. Scat makes very good products and are well known in the performance industry. At the end of the day the choice really comes down to your ability to do the job or not. If you don't have the knowledge or skillset you are better off going to a professional. On the other hand if you've built engines before and have the tools to do so. Doing it yourself leaves no one to blame for the success or failure but yourself. That also means you get all of the credit for building your car yourself and you know exactly what is in it. Good luck which ever way you decide to go. IMO the 5.7 is a solid platform to work with, especially once you switch to forged internals.

·
Registered
834 Posts
SCAT makes really nice stuff. I bought my 408 stroker kit from them through Summit for my '89 Diplomat cop car. The crank and rods are SCAT and pistons they supplied are forged Icon, Cleavite bearings and can't remember what the rings were... possibly Sealed Power. Between the stroker kit, 3200 Turbo Action converter and 3.55 sure grip it transformed a smogged down 80's beater into an ass hauling sleeper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts